Auto Insurance decision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back again: I found I needed to make a spreadsheet to keep the various insurances straight. My State Farm cost per year is ~ $1,100 and AARP (Hartford) quoted $750 which is way to much difference to be reasonable or legitimate. I need to review again but, if any of you have Hartford, please chime in. I'm wondering if they like to suck you in and two years later, really jack up the price. Ed

Father in law had Hartford, through AARP. He also had homeowner's insurance with them.

In both cases, his claims experience was satisfactory. We were personally involved with one comprehensive windshield claim, and the arrangements made by phone with the Hartford representative were very satisfactory. They made all the arrangements with a preferred vendor, and everything worked out very well.

We were not involved personally with any other claims. If you can save $400, give them a try.

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
I don't know what took me so long to look into Costco's insurance program, but I'm glad I did. Between auto and homeowner's policies, they're about a hundred bucks a month less than anybody else (any legitimate company, anyway).

Who underwrites Costco's policy? You mentioned legitimate companies, and if I wasn't sure who actually supported their insurance, I'd have a hard time buying insurance from a warehouse club that sells everything from ground beef to cat litter.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Back again: I found I needed to make a spreadsheet to keep the various insurances straight. My State Farm cost per year is ~ $1,100 and AARP (Hartford) quoted $750 which is way to much difference to be reasonable or legitimate. I need to review again but, if any of you have Hartford, please chime in. I'm wondering if they like to suck you in and two years later, really jack up the price. Ed

You can always bug out if they do that, right? Be very careful that they didn't accidentally on purpose leave out an important coverage that you don't find out about until you they send you the policy, like uninsured motorist coverage.

I use Travelers right now because they were the cheapest. I can't complain, but I haven't actually used their service, I have just paid for it.

Actually, I have never used auto insurance with any company - no claims, but then they run the DMV check...

Whenever they try to jack the price up, even by a little, that's my sign to go shopping. Somebody will beat them.

First insurance on my own (not attached to my parents' policy) was Geico. Started out dirt cheap, but they jacked my rates up majorly due to a couple infractions, despite no claims. I decided to get insurance through an independent agent who offered insurance from multiple companies. He got me a great rate to start, lowered it each renewal, and was super responsive and on top of things. Really, really great company to deal with in every way. Unfortunately though, when I moved from NC to AL, I had to seek new insurance as my agent wasn't licensed down here. I actually sent him a thank you note for the great service over the years when I had to drop it due to moving.

First insurance company down here was Esurance. Just wanted it done quick because I had other moving issues to deal with. Their online quote was good, then after signing up for the insurance and actually paying the first premium, they come back and say "it's actually going to be more." I make my displeasure known, but pay anyway because I couldn't deal with getting a refund/getting different insurance at the time. They lowered the rate slightly at the next renewal (by like $10), but then at the renewal after that they decided to try to clean me out. Nope.

It just so happened at the time that my bank sent me an email or something offering insurance services through a variety of companies. I called them, and they set me up with Travelers for a much lower premium than I had been paying through Esurance. MUCH lower. I have been using Traveler's since with no complaints, but as with the previous companies, they have never paid anything out, so the service should be good. Geico and Esurance didn't get that - their formula was to bait with a good initial price and online convenience, then get greedy and find anyway to shake some more out of you.

Personally, I have learned to go for independent agents who shop multiple companies, or go through an institution who does the same like a bank you already use or your employer. Going directly to the insurance company and using the convenience of their website is a good way to be seen as an ATM. They think you value convenience over all else and don't have time to shop, which is often true, so they try to clean you out however they can.

Wow...seems to be a lot of "spread" with insurance companies. I can understand location, location, location, but still....

My choices came down to keeping my State Farm, which I've had for ~35 years, or saving $232/year by going with AARPs Hartford insurance which I normalized for the comparison. Not sure what to do at this point. Decisions, decisions.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
My choices came down to keeping my State Farm, which I've had for ~35 years, or saving $232/year by going with AARPs Hartford insurance which I normalized for the comparison. Not sure what to do at this point. Decisions, decisions.

Save the money and split.

Who says you can't stay with State Farm. Take the other quote to your agent and say if you want me to stay, you gotta beat this quote.

Your agent may find a difference in the coverages offered, or find a way to beat the offered rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back