Another good $2 oil filter; Havoline at Fred's Discount Stores

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've found what looks like another good cheap oil filter at the local Fred's Discount Store. Havoline brand, in black & red boxes, with a numbering system I've never seen before- but they have a small cross reference chart on the outside of the box. I found the two for my Neon, standard size(AC-Delco PF-53, Supertech ST3614, etc) & oversize(AC-Delco PF-13, Supertech ST16), opened them up, & took a look. They're made by Purolator! The inside looks identical to the inside of the Purolator-made Advance Auto filters.

Lots of folks think the AA filters are a good buy at $2.68. Well, these Havoline filters are $1.99,*regular price*. If there's a Fred's Discount nearby, you might want to check them out. I just bought 10 of the AA filters when they were on sale for $1.34/each, gotta get at least one Havoline to compare them- after they've been used, of course!
wink.gif

Please get a particle count with your UOA, it is the only way to determine the effectivness of the oil filter.

Last year, I cut open a Havoline oil filter that was used for 6k miles on my MIL's 2002 Tahoe.

It was 100% a Purolator clone. Everything was intact; the pleats were all nice & even. Overall, it was a very nice filter. My camera was down at the time; I didn't get pics.
frown.gif
BUT, I do have another used Havoline filter from the same Tahoe. It was used for 6500 miles. It's sitting in my garage in a ziplock bag awaiting dissection. I'll post pics whenever I get around to cutting it open.

I've also used Havoline filters for a few 4-5k mi. OCI's on my wife's Expedition, back when I used to take it to the Texaco Xpress lube to get it serviced. I have nothing but love for the Havoline oil filter.
smile.gif

I would recommend this filter to anyone who likes Purolators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back