'tis the season to buy snow tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a set of Blizzak WS70's on closeout from The Tire Rack for $91 each. In addition, Tire Rack is running a promotion for a $50 Visa card if you buy 4 snow tires by mid-October. So I'm getting the tires for ~$78 each, and they should last me at least 5 seasons.

Got mine, thanks to DTD and an alert on this forum.
thumbsup2.gif

Just need rims, now.
laugh.gif

Uhh.. need to buy winter rims and tires for the wife, but will have to wait at least another month or so due to some logistics.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Got mine last fall. Brand new Altimax Arctic

Great winter tires at a great price. Mine are now 5 years old. Plenty of tread left, but I'm a little concerned that the rubber may have hardened by now, but I'm still planning to use them this season.

Yup - that time.

Last year was the first year we've ever used snows and the feedback was positive
smile.gif
so...

Xi3s from last year for the Cruze...and still have to decide what to do for our other two, as well as revisit the idea with my parents for their car.

Managed to secure one set of OEM wheels already but it's time to get in gear I guess...ugh.

I bought two new Winterforce last winter to replace two with bad belts.

Currently working on a deal for 4 for the Cherokee, already mounted.

Man, I hate having a truck sometimes... $150 a pop at DTD and TR when I look. Oh well.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
So I'm getting the tires for ~$78 each, and they should last me at least 5 seasons.

5 seasons! I live in VA so I don't know much about snow tires but I thought they only lasted 2-3 seasons. Is 5 seasons normal?

Originally Posted By: glock19
I live in VA so I don't know much about snow tires but I thought they only lasted 2-3 seasons. Is 5 seasons normal?

Depends on how much you drive. 5 seasons is doable.

I used to have winter tires when I lived in noVA.

So I'm getting the tires for ~$78 each, and they should last me at least 5 seasons.

5 seasons! I live in VA so I don't know much about snow tires but I thought they only lasted 2-3 seasons. Is 5 seasons normal?

They last a lot longer if they don't ever touch actual pavement, spend their life on actual snow......Which is possible, in Michigan.

Originally Posted By: supton
Stop driving like it's NASCAR on your commute.
wink.gif

That's what my Focus is for
cool.gif

Alignment is good, wheel bearing is good, ball joints are good. It still pulled the studs out of the RF wheel and wore a good amount of tread off. I didn't even drive it much!

Depends on how much you drive and how quickly the rubber compound hardens up.

I had Blizzak WS50 on my taurus from 2004-2010. I think they had around 25000 miles on them. The insides of the read were wearing pretty good, but the outside wasn't too bad. The outside was almost new depth.

I was going to flip them around, but the car got too rusty to even consider driving any more, so I sold them.

I'm giving snows a try for the first time this winter. Last winter was brutal, I needed a bit more traction than my Michelin MS2's could provide.

Yes, I got 6 seasons out of my first set of Blizzaks, and 6 seasons out of my set of XIce2's. On the average, I drive about 1400 miles/month, and keep the winter tires on for 4 months, making 5600 miles per year, so over 6 years accumulate about 33,600 miles on the winter rubber.

Last edited:
I usually get snows on before Thanksgiving, or around then, and take off in late April. A good five months, and I tend to do 2k/month, sometimes more. Seems like three is the max years I get.

I wait until late April as the last incident I had was a freak late April storm that dumped several inches of slush.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supton
I usually get snows on before Thanksgiving, or around then, and take off in late April. A good five months, and I tend to do 2k/month, sometimes more. Seems like three is the max years I get.

I wait until late April as the last incident I had was a freak late April storm that dumped several inches of slush.

We have Oct16 - Apr30 for studded tires, which is what I have.

I usually wait until mid-November to put the snow tires on. Seems that winter has been starting later and later the last few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back