Toyota 0w 20 in a 2014 Honda DI engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently on my final free oil change from my dealer, when I drain this batch I have a case of Toyota 0w20 I will run. I have read it is on the thinner side of the grade but reviews on here show it is a fine oil. We'll see

The TGMO oil was built specifically for the Toyota Tundra V8...and also for the Prius, all three or four of the different formulations were built for both I'm lead to believe.

While Toyota didn't build Honda engines, nor the oil for a Honda engine, I wouldn't hesitate to use TGMO in your Honda if it specifies 0W20

I went to my local Toyota dealership yesterday and asked for 5 qts of tgmo 0w 20 and the parts guy brought out 5 qts of mobil 1 0w 20 , he said that was all they carried. No TGMO at a Toyota dealership , WOW

Originally Posted By: Shannow
The TGMO oil was built specifically for the Toyota Tundra V8...and also for the Prius, all three or four of the different formulations were built for both I'm lead to believe.

Really? Not doubting you, just curious. I'm at two vehicles using the stuff, after all.

Originally Posted By: silverado1
I went to my local Toyota dealership yesterday and asked for 5 qts of tgmo 0w 20 and the parts guy brought out 5 qts of mobil 1 0w 20 , he said that was all they carried. No TGMO at a Toyota dealership , WOW

Yeah, that sounds wrong. But when I was trying to figure out what ATF to use in my Toyota it seemed like a number of dealerships were using non-Toyota WS. Maxlife or something else even. I'm guessing dealerships must have some lattitude in what they use; I guess if the label says "meets the spec of" then they are in the clear. Or perhaps they just hope no one calls them out on it... Cheaper oil is cheaper, and most people servicing their vehicles at a dealership aren't running them into the ground.

Originally Posted By: supton
I'm guessing dealerships must have some lattitude in what they use; I guess if the label says "meets the spec of" then they are in the clear. Or perhaps they just hope no one calls them out on it... Cheaper oil is cheaper, and most people servicing their vehicles at a dealership aren't running them into the ground.

OK, but I'd hardly call Mobil 1 "cheaper" here. Perhaps it was less expensive for the dealer to procure than TGMO, but I don't believe it to be a cheaper product, given that it has more expensive base oils in it and is generally very well regarded despite it not having the much lauded "stratospheric" VI of TGMO.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I'm guessing dealerships must have some lattitude in what they use; I guess if the label says "meets the spec of" then they are in the clear. Or perhaps they just hope no one calls them out on it... Cheaper oil is cheaper, and most people servicing their vehicles at a dealership aren't running them into the ground.

OK, but I'd hardly call Mobil 1 "cheaper" here. Perhaps it was less expensive for the dealer to procure than TGMO, but I don't believe it to be a cheaper product, given that it has more expensive base oils in it and is generally very well regarded despite it not having the much lauded "stratospheric" VI of TGMO.

+1 I'd like to see some side by side engine tear downs before I label [take your pick] TGMO or AFE, "cheaper" or "better." JMO

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Really? Not doubting you, just curious. I'm at two vehicles using the stuff, after all.

I think Shannow is just poking fun at certain claims made on BITOG that TGMO was designed for certain Toyota engines and is not always suitable for other vehicles calling for a 20 grade oil.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

My bad; I don't keep track of what oil costs what; I barely paid attention to what the OP said the oil was--I kinda assumed TGMO was more pricey than most oils.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I think Shannow is just poking fun at certain claims made on BITOG that TGMO was designed for certain Toyota engines and is not always suitable for other vehicles calling for a 20 grade oil.

Ah, gotcha.

OR.....does anyone think another oil would be best suitable for the DI engine fuel dilution issues , although I don't know if the Honda engines have this issue or not .

I doubt you or your engine will be able to discern any difference among the name brand 0w20 oils available. Pick one based on any criteria you like and you won't go wrong.

I'm sure it's safe to use, but keep two things in mind:

1) Toyota is not yet big on DI engines, at least not to the extent of Honda. Whether TGMO is optimized for DI engines (low Noack, etc.) is unknown.

2) TGMO has a good reputation here, but we can now see its composition from the MSDS on Mobil's website. Here's a big difference: TGMO is a classic Group III synthetic, with severely hydrotreated crude oil as a base. On the other hand, Mobil1 AFE 0w-20 is 30-40% PAO and Mobil1 EP 0w-20 is 60-70% PAO. I realize base oil isn't the whole package, but based on this I'm not sure TGMO quite deserves its status here. Compared to Mobil1 alternatives, at least.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Toyota is not yet big on DI engines, at least not to the extent of Honda. Whether TGMO is optimized for DI engines (low Noack, etc.) is unknown.

2) TGMO has a good reputation here, but we can now see its composition from the MSDS on Mobil's website. Here's a big difference: TGMO is a classic Group III synthetic, with severely hydrotreated crude oil as a base. On the other hand, Mobil1 AFE 0w-20 is 30-40% PAO and Mobil1 EP 0w-20 is 60-70% PAO. I realize base oil isn't the whole package, but based on this I'm not sure TGMO quite deserves its status here. Compared to Mobil1 alternatives, at least.

Firstly the CoP made Honda 0W-20 is GP III based and I haven't heard of any deposit issues running a GF-5 0W-20 of any brand.
If one is concerned about intake tract deposits in DI engines it's not Noack one should be looking at but rather a low TEOST deposit score would be more relevant.
I haven't read anywhere that M1 EP 0W-20 is optimized for DI applications in fact I would think AFE would be a better choice between the two oils if the high TEOST deposit level of M1 EP 5W-30 is anything to go by.

Originally Posted By: HKPolice
Where did you find TGMO MSDS?

Go to Google, and type in
"TGMO MSDS"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back