What do worn valve seals look like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I've started replacing the valve seals on my 6G74 Diamante.

Do leaking valve seals look damaged in any way?
As the ones I am pulling out look fine. I am not sure if there is anything about them that will give them away?

I've seen them ripped, and others shattered like glass in some old Ford applications. Usually if they look good, and have the same feel as the replacements, they probably are good, although there might be some exceptions. It's hard to tell without seeing and handling them. If you replaced them because of oil consumption you could have other problems like worn valve guides, and/or sticking or worn rings.

Why did you change them?

I am in the midst of swapping them as my car is using oil and from my research it seems they are the most likely culprit as well as symptoms pointing to them
eg, after idling there is blue smoke

In about 1970 I decided the reason my 1965 Mustang was smoking was valve stem seals. I bought the best which were Perfect Circle but that required a little machining of each head. So I pulled the heads. But then said since the heads are removed why not do a valve job. Then since I am doing a valve job why not install a 3/4 grind cam. Then since I was doing a cam, why not high compression pistons. Then why not get the crank machined. And the block hot tanked.

And the list grew, I was 17, Dad helped. Learned a lot, but the Mustang was out of commission for months.

Originally Posted By: Donald
In about 1970 I decided the reason my 1965 Mustang was smoking was valve stem seals. I bought the best which were Perfect Circle but that required a little machining of each head. So I pulled the heads. But then said since the heads are removed why not do a valve job. Then since I am doing a valve job why not install a 3/4 grind cam. Then since I was doing a cam, why not high compression pistons. Then why not get the crank machined. And the block hot tanked.

And the list grew, I was 17, Dad helped. Learned a lot, but the Mustang was out of commission for months.

Sounds familiar, only it was a 72 Mustang in 1976.

OP if the seals look similar to the new ones and have no visible defects odds are it is something else. I would have done a compression test first before pulling anything apart.

Easy removal should clearly indicate worn seals as they will no longer be sealing. A seal in good condition should be major PITA to remove

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back