Oil for zero turn mower?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dixon 5424(B&S Intek Twin): M1 5W-30
Cub Cadet Enforcer 54(Kaw Twin): M1 10W-30

My question would be why you think that stating a specific style of mower (zero turn) would correlate to a recommendation about oil.

I have a snow thrower with lights on it. Does that factor into the choice of oil?

Originally Posted By: lawnguy
Do you own a zero turn mower? I'm curious to know what type of oil you use, and why?

I believe 0W-0 is recommended for zero turn mowers ....
56.gif

Originally Posted By: kschachn
My question would be why you think that stating a specific style of mower (zero turn) would correlate to a recommendation about oil.

I have a snow thrower with lights on it. Does that factor into the choice of oil?

Originally Posted By: lawnguy
Do you own a zero turn mower? I'm curious to know what type of oil you use, and why?

Many zero turn mowers, including my John Deere 757, use an engine oil for the hydraulics. Given that mine calls for 15W-40 in the hydraulics, I use 15W-40 in the engine as well.

If I didn't have a zero turn that required 15W-40 in the hydraulics, I might not use 15W-40 in the engine. Being a zero turn mower does indeed have some influence on the engine oil that a standard mower may not have.

I'm pretty sure my JD F510 recommended 5w30 for the oil. It's a shared engine hydraulic unit. The oil ran very hot. I would stick a thermocouple into the oil fill after mowing for a couple hours and it would easily be 300F.

I added an oil filter cooler bypass and ran it the oil through an plate type ATX cooler I had. Also added an oil temp gauge. I think I have the temp sender on the oil coming out of the cooler. I could not get it on the other line due to space restrictions. It now will read 210F at the most when it's really hot out after a 2 hour mow.

I use M1 0w40 now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back