King Kong NAPA 1459 filter to replace PH8/FL1

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is for our Clark S120XSL forklift with Perkins 4.236 propane engine. These engines are known to throw down some serious oil pressure on cold startup, and have high oil flow rate in general. I wanted to give the engine the best chance of operating without bypassing, so I did some research and found a much longer version of the FL1/PH8/51515 filter in the NAPA Catalog. This is a direct cross for the Baldwin BT238 and Donaldson P551603. Both average a touch over 7" long. Pic is of it next to a Fram XG8 Ultra Synthetic from a '67 Shelby GT500. Not going to use it on the GT500, because it will probably drag on the floor.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: SVTCobra
Pics of a Shelby GT500 oil filter but none of the car???
Welcome to BITOG, enjoy your stay.
wink.gif

Would a larger filter cause less bypass? Huge filter nonetheless especially if it makes that XG8 look like a baby.

What is the ADBV made of on this filter?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Would a larger filter cause less bypass? Huge filter nonetheless especially if it makes that XG8 look like a baby.

What is the ADBV made of on this filter?

Oil has more material to spread out on, so it should result in less bypass. It certainly won't hurt anything, having all of that extra material to flow through. Extra capacity doesn't hurt either, but it's already a 4-litre 4-cylinder with an 8-quart sump.

ADBV is silicone.

Jeep guys knew about this swap for a long time, great upgrade for any engine using that filter, as long as it fits.

I've wondered about these larger filters too. The Motorcraft equivalent is FL299 and Wix is 51773. I've been unsuccessful in comparing ratings although the Wix site claims 32 for the "nominal micron rating" for the big filter while the traditional 51515 is listed at 21.
OTOH, based on reading many threads here, Wix it not the most consistent company in the publishing of specifications.
http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=51773

Kevin
PS - nice Mustang

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back