Larger capacity oil filter for 2013 Ford Focus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jk_636
OP I totally understand you wanting an oversize filter, and could even see some benefits in it as well.

Can you describe these benefit? Again, it's his car so he can do what he wants. But when folks start making claims of "benefits", then it needs to be explained.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
You know why some people like to use oversize filters. It has been discussed ad nauseum in the past.

Actually, no--I don't. And you didn't answer the question. It's a legitimate question. I also asked the OP what he's actually trying to accomplish (is the goal more containment capacity?). So--again, what are these benefits?

It seemed as if you were trying to incite an argument. But if you are being sincere, the biggest benefit I can see is the addition of more filter media which should (in theory) increase the filters capacity. More filter media = less gunk = cleaner engine (once again, in theory)

We've been through this so many times.

A larger filter is a "feel good" mod. It has never been proven to do anything except make you feel good.

If it cannot be pre-filled it may be a liability during that first start after an oil change...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
We've been through this so many times.

A larger filter is a "feel good" mod. It has never been proven to do anything except make you feel good.

NO TRUER WORDS THAN THIS WILL BE READ TODAY ON THIS SITE!

Originally Posted By: kajunman
OK. I would like to use a larger oil filter on my 2013 Ford Focus. Before anyone starts with “do you think you are smarter than the Ford engineers”, let me just say that I can sight numerous examples where factory engineers have been dead wrong.

Having worked closely with ex-Ford engineers who had many amusing stories about their individual and collective wrongness, I can back up this statement.

Anyone who owned an early or mid-2000's Triton V8 engine can back it up as well.

Oil filter size, like all engineering choices, balances performance, packaging, manufacturing cost and consumer expense. Going outside that envelope isn't necessarily wrong, as long as the consumer accepts the responsibility for the consequences. Negative consequences can be as minor as spending too much for very little benefit, or worse if bypass and drainback considerations are ignored.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Originally Posted By: kajunman
OK. I would like to use a larger oil filter on my 2013 Ford Focus. Before anyone starts with “do you think you are smarter than the Ford engineers”, let me just say that I can sight numerous examples where factory engineers have been dead wrong.

Having worked closely with ex-Ford engineers who had many amusing stories about their individual and collective wrongness, I can back up this statement.

Anyone who owned an early or mid-2000's Triton V8 engine can back it up as well.

Oil filter size, like all engineering choices, balances performance, packaging, manufacturing cost and consumer expense. Going outside that envelope isn't necessarily wrong, as long as the consumer accepts the responsibility for the consequences. Negative consequences can be as minor as spending too much for very little benefit, or worse if bypass and drainback considerations are ignored.

+1. All truth!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back