I Think Mobil Messed Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry about the photo quality.
While at WM earlier today I observed a silver qt. of 10W40 MSHM oil sitting next to a black qt. of 5W30 MSHM oil. Why the different color bottles? So, I turned the 10W40 around and the back lable graph reads,"FULLY SYNTHETIC", but, the desciption below the graph never stated anything about it being a semi or fully synthetic oil.
289bdib.jpg

eg4mir.jpg

I then turned the 5W30 around and the back lable graph reads,"HIGH MILEAGE", but, the description below the graph reads,"SYNTHETIC BLEND."
2ewfvc1.jpg

v6841v.jpg

Can anyone explain what is going on with MSHM oil?

Just a labelling error. I've seen similar errors on a bottle of MMO years ago, and last week I looked at a jug of Maxlife full synthetic oil (all grades) and the API label said "API services SN", where it should just say "service", not services. Probably just an oversight.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
Just a labelling error. I've seen similar errors on a bottle of MMO years ago, and last week I looked at a jug of Maxlife full synthetic oil (all grades) and the API label said "API services SN", where it should just say "service", not services. Probably just an oversight.

To say the least!
We had a post here about this debacle and MSHM labling their bottles incorrectly. Or, was it correct?

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: Klutch9

To say the least!
We had a post here about this debacle and MSHM labling their bottles incorrectly. Or, was it correct?

We sure did. I don't know.

The Mobil website says that MSHM is a mix of "synthetic and conventional high quality base oils combined with modern performance additives".

At the Walmart store closest in Peabody, Mass., the 5 quart jugs are labeled as Synthetic and the 1 quart jugs as synth. blend - same product, same weight, different size jug, different labeling.

I use MOBIL Super HM black bottle...nowhere on bottle or on Mobil webpage does it say it is synthetic or semi..

Originally Posted By: motts
I use MOBIL Super HM black bottle...nowhere on bottle or on Mobil webpage does it say it is synthetic or semi..

Yes, but black label sounds as if you're talking about Mobil Super Synthetic, webpage here (black and silver label):

http://www.mobil.us/USA-English-LCW/carengineoils_products_mobil-super-synthetic.aspx

Mobil Super HM has a blue and black label, webpage here:

http://www.mobil.us/USA-English-LCW/carengineoils_products_mobil-super-high-mileage.aspx

And here we are quoting directly from the Mobil Super High Mileage Product Data Sheet: http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_Super_High_Mileage.aspx

Quote:
Mobil Super High Mileage uses a combination of synthetic and conventional high quality base oils combined with modern performance additives to help provide long engine life and outstanding protection for vehicles with more than 75,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I'm more interested in hearing the difference between "full synthetic" and "advanced full synthetic"
crackmeup2.gif

About $3.00/quart.

Originally Posted By: motts
Then why doesn't Mobil give Super HM the same guarantee as synthetics?

Because Mobil HM is not a synthetic. It is a synthetic blend. Below is an email conversation I had a couple weeks back with an XOM CSR.

Mobil Super High Mileage is this product marketed as an synthetic oil? If Exxon Mobil can clarify this for me I appreciate this. Thank you for your assistance.

Sincerely

David

Mobil Super High Mileage motor oil is a semi-synthetic motor oil.

-MJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back