Purolator's new song!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: jk_636
Reports of failures will slow down here because the majority of the guys who have used and cut open Purolators in the past are now buying something else. There won't be as many Purolators cut open anymore compared to before the media tearing issue popped up.

So just because reports of torn Purolators slow way down here doesn't automatically mean the problem is fixed.

You just cannot let this go. People are still going to be using these Purolator filters REGARDLESS of what you think or personally use. We still see people everyday that cut them and put them up here for all to see. Not everyone will blindly follow the herd's opinion or buy into hysteria.
33.gif

Your viewpoint is horrible skewed on the "fanboy" side of he meter. You are most likely a Purolator shrill that signed up here after the tearing reports started pouring in. LOL

I leave them on my Ram for 3k miles (because i have 90% city driving) and 5k on my Escape (about 70% highway driving.) That is what I have always found to be a safe range.

3K is a "safe range" when 1/2 of the reported failures happened at 3K or less miles. More skewness? .... Mmmm K.
eek.gif

zo6 give it a rest.

Sorry, your arguments just don't compute ... and never will. Let's agree to disagree, which we OBVIOUSLY do. I think a lot of readers really don't buy into your "arguments" based on some comments I've seen from others. You can just keep on saying Purolators are cherry if used 3K miles or less, and I'll say that doesn't make any sense.
grin.gif

Well I'm going to continue using them without any worry. I buy my filters from walmart so I have two choices - Purolator, or the Fram OCD that was once so maligned but lately seems to get some love on here. I always get a few hundred thousand miles out of my vehicles and I've never stressed over a filter.

Sorry, your arguments just don't compute ... and never will. Let's agree to disagree, which we OBVIOUSLY do. I think a lot of readers really don't buy into your "arguments" based on some comments I've seen from others. You can just keep on saying Purolators are cherry if used 3K miles or less, and I'll say that doesn't make any sense.
grin.gif

+1 I agree with this point.

"jk_636" whatever your saying still doesn't make it OKAY to use, why waste money or risk anything when you don't have to? unless your one of those people who's flawed logic is "peace of mind" or "cheap insurance"

Are you reading what I have written, or what zo6 has interpretted? Im giving this gentleman (Voltmaster) a differing viewpoint. Trying to show him that:

A. Even though there have been media tears, Not everyone thinks that Purolator has gone to [censored]. Its a fact, not opinion. There are others on here that agree that Purolator still makes good stuff, they just dont stand up as much as I do.

B. Some people do not believe the problem is as widespread as others make it out to believe, and it may already be fixed for all we know with the 2014 production runs.

C. The intervals at which I change them and have NEVER had a failure. Not gospel, just experience. A place to start.

D. If he wants to use them for the first time (as it seems he wanted to before reading this) use them for shorter OCI and see if they "fail" on him or not. Which one pleat is arguably a "failure" but it definetely is not ideal, I will agree to that.

My goodness some people (Purohaters, Framites, whatever they are called today) make it sound like every Puro Filter is going to fail on time, every time. Everytime I change the oil on one of the vehicles I maintain that theory is disproved...

Which one pleat is arguably a "failure" but it definetely is not ideal, I will agree to that.

I have no idea what you're trying to say. Are you talking in English or Texan?

You can be safe going at least 8-10k on P1s
Some run them longer but this is what I have had good luck with

Are you reading what I have written, or what zo6 has interpretted? Im giving this gentleman (Voltmaster) a differing viewpoint. Trying to show him that:

A. Even though there have been media tears, Not everyone thinks that Purolator has gone to [censored]. Its a fact, not opinion. There are others on here that agree that Purolator still makes good stuff, they just dont stand up as much as I do.

B. Some people do not believe the problem is as widespread as others make it out to believe, and it may already be fixed for all we know with the 2014 production runs.

C. The intervals at which I change them and have NEVER had a failure. Not gospel, just experience. A place to start.

D. If he wants to use them for the first time (as it seems he wanted to before reading this) use them for shorter OCI and see if they "fail" on him or not. Which one pleat is arguably a "failure" but it definetely is not ideal, I will agree to that.

My goodness some people (Purohaters, Framites, whatever they are called today) make it sound like every Puro Filter is going to fail on time, every time. Everytime I change the oil on one of the vehicles I maintain that theory is disproved...

LOL ... it's real simple. People lose TRUST in a product when they see MULTIPLE instances of the same failure over and over.

You are not going to convince anyone to run filters that can tear during use if they already have decided they don't want to use them. You and the 2 other guys here who love torn media in their oil filters (and maybe in your coffee filters too) keep on using them if it makes you feel good.
grin.gif

Supplement Info - Read

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
You can be safe going at least 8-10k on P1s
Some run them longer but this is what I have had good luck with

Be prepared Dallas, once I step down you will be the next target...
smirk.gif

LOL ... "target" .
grin.gif

Sure, you could go 8~10K on a PureOne if the engine is clean and you run full synthetic or do 2x dino oil changes over that OCI duration - and if the filter was reliable. But anybody who knows about the media tearing issue is probably not going to feel 100% confident that the filter is doing its job until they cut it open and look. The trust in the product has been lost by many here ... it's really not hard to understand. Until Purolator can gain that trust back, many here will not be using them. Some may go back sooner than others, some may never go back. It's the basic mindset of most consumers out there, regardless of the product involved.

The ones that I have used did not have torn media after I went 8-10k on them
I did not take pictures cause I dont know how to post them
Maybe I was lucky,I dont know
I am not pushing them on anyone,most people here are grown and can make up their own mind
All I know is what I have seen

Dallas I wouldn't push them on anyone either, I just get a hard time because I still use them and try to tell people about my positive experiences with Purolator filters. As you have seen, people are much more interested in the negative experiences, AKA witch hunt.

jk - if you do happen to cut open a Purolator and find tears, be sure to let us all know and post up some photos. I'm wondering if you would, or not. If you got a couple filters that did tear, maybe your viewpoint would change.
grin.gif

For the record I have in my garage now Motorcraft,Fram Ultra,Baldwin,P1,Classic , and a Wix.
I am all over the map on filters-I find sales and tend to stock up on name brands

jk - if you do happen to cut open a Purolator and find tears, be sure to let us all know and post up some photos. I'm wondering if you would, or not. If you got a couple filters that did tear, maybe your viewpoint would change.
grin.gif

If I ever cut one open and see a tear I will be the first one to point it out, no questions asked. z06 you have about a month or so until the next one is cut and posted. We will see soon! I feel confident it faired just fine. (Famous last words)
cool.gif

Last edited:
I am currently cutting a PL14670 in service for about 4800 miles

Date code: F02U28B2

I got it from a thrift store for 95 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back