Purolator's new song!

Status
Not open for further replies.
25.gif

I got about 1.5k on my PL20195 and I am getting nervous. I might stop at 3k and cut it open. I got them on clearance from Kmart for $3.50

Stu_Rock's failure list only shows 1 or 2 PL20195 reported. I'm running one right now on my Tacoma. Have 3 more new ones in the stash. Not sure if I'm going to use those or not.

Mr. Quackers and Z06, do you guys know the date codes?

Depending on the age, I would run them without hesitation.

Z06 will be able to hook you up. Or you can just post the numbers and someone else can chime in.

With the placement of the filter on the SL2, that will not be an easy task, but I can check the other half dozen filter date codes.

Just remove and cut it open then.
laugh.gif

The low mile use could show whether or not they tear at the beginning of the OCI.

OK, here are the codes on my unused PL20195 filters:

F12D29B2
F02E07B2
F02E07B2
F11E27B1

I think I have more, but that is all I found so far.

F12D29B2 = Dec 29, 2012
F02E07B2 = Feb 7, 2013
F02E07B2 = Feb 7, 2013
F11E27B1 = Nov 27, 2013

How old should the filter be , to be considered too old to use?

2 years doesnt seem that unreasonble.

are they certain batches that were bad? I havent been on the site for a bit so I had no clue Pur classics were bad.

P1 are so popular didnt think they would screw up their basic filters.

Originally Posted By: Voltmaster
How old should the filter be , to be considered too old to use?

2 years doesnt seem that unreasonble.

are they certain batches that were bad? I havent been on the site for a bit so I had no clue Pur classics were bad.

P1 are so popular didnt think they would screw up their basic filters.

All of this is up for debate. I think that there may have been a certain number of production runs that were defunct. The trick is finding when that started and where it ended. We may never know, but it does seem that failures have really started to slow down lately.

Reports of failures will slow down here because the majority of the guys who have used and cut open Purolators in the past are now buying something else. There won't be as many Purolators cut open anymore compared to before the media tearing issue popped up.

So just because reports of torn Purolators slow way down here doesn't automatically mean the problem is fixed.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Reports of failures will slow down here because the majority of the guys who have used and cut open Purolators in the past are now buying something else. There won't be as many Purolators cut open anymore compared to before the media tearing issue popped up.

So just because reports of torn Purolators slow way down here doesn't automatically mean the problem is fixed.

You just cannot let this go. People are still going to be using these Purolator filters REGARDLESS of what you think or personally use. We still see people everyday that cut them and put them up here for all to see. Not everyone will blindly follow the herd's opinion or buy into hysteria.
33.gif

Voltmaster, as you can tell there are many different variables that play into these failures. Some wont have problems and some will and we really cannot put our finger on the exact cause. As far as the timeline goes, we have to remember that filter companies make MILLIONS of filters per run. So even if there were only one or two production runs of defective filters, the problem is going to seem ridiculously wide spread.

If you are concerned, I would tell you to buy a filter of the most recent production or just go with trial and error. Run a Pureone (or whatever filter you would like to try,) remove it at whatever interval you feel comfortable and then cut it open. I used to run Classics, but now use Pureones exclusively. I leave them on my Ram for 3k miles (because i have 90% city driving) and 5k on my Escape (about 70% highway driving.) That is what I have always found to be a safe range. But your mileage may vary and that is why this is so much fun!
thumbsup2.gif

I dont think this 5 year problem is going to have any effect on the total sales of Puro but many of the persons on this site have switched, especially those who had a tear like me. Since a limited number of persons in this site cut open filters I agree with Zee that we will see the number of tears go down (and even just # of cut open Puros).

Anyways so what? What will be the true test is if 2014 builds start to show tearing late this year or early next year. I doubt we will and have a suspicion that Puro has fixed the problem. Only time will tell.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

You just cannot let this go. People are still going to be using these Purolator filters REGARDLESS of what you think or personally use. We still see people everyday that cut them and put them up here for all to see. Not everyone will blindly follow the herd's opinion or buy into hysteria.
33.gif

Your viewpoint is horrible skewed on the "fanboy" side of he meter. You are most likely a Purolator shrill that signed up here after the tearing reports started pouring in. LOL

Originally Posted By: jk_636
I leave them on my Ram for 3k miles (because i have 90% city driving) and 5k on my Escape (about 70% highway driving.) That is what I have always found to be a safe range.

3K is a "safe range" when 1/2 of the reported failures happened at 3K or less miles. More skewness? .... Mmmm K.
eek.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back