Yet another rant thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tom slick

One that does bug me is a nearby town with a Spanish name "San Luis Obispo" pronounced exactly the way it is spelled. People will refer to it as "Saint Louie Obispo" which is in no way correct and is certainly not French in origin.

We have Chili, NY and Medina, NY.

Neither are pronounced the way one would expect it to be.

I deal with customers. I'm shocked at how many people don't have a preference with respect to their names.

For example, someone legally named James. I might ask, "Do you go by James or Jim."

I's say 8 out of 10 times their answer is, "I don't care."

Really? I'm like, it's your name, what do you want to be called.

I try to look for cues such as what others are calling him, or how they address him in an e-mail. But if there are no cues, then I simply ask. Shocks me as to how many don't express a clear preference.

Etiquette requires one to use the given name (James) until indicated otherwise. You did the right thing by asking.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

And we have Milan, MI. Pronounced MY-len.

And then there's Vienna, IL. Pronounced VIE-enna.

Vienna is right up the road from Metropolis, which I've taken to calling METCH-ro-POLE-iss. Because, when in Rome...

Originally Posted By: javacontour
I deal with customers. I'm shocked at how many people don't have a preference with respect to their names.

For example, someone legally named James. I might ask, "Do you go by James or Jim."

I's say 8 out of 10 times their answer is, "I don't care."

Really? I'm like, it's your name, what do you want to be called.

I try to look for cues such as what others are calling him, or how they address him in an e-mail. But if there are no cues, then I simply ask. Shocks me as to how many don't express a clear preference.

Some people don't care. I work with a guy that way...he is either "Jay" or "Jason", and unless he's with his son (Jason), he doesn't care. My father in law seems to be called "Tony" by half the people he knows and "Antonio" by the other half...also seems to have no preference.

Same for me, Mike or Michael is fine. It actually gives me a small insight into someone's personality when I hear what they choose to call me.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Maori Wars? I had to Google it.. How old is your friend?? o_O

Same generation as my parents, so he's in his '80's now. He was my foreman where I served my apprenticeship, and after working with him for 10 years, he was still my go to for advice. A lot of the British soldiers stayed here, and are part of our immigrant stock.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Etiquette

Etiquette...........
PLEASE don't be bringing that up
grin.gif

tumblr_mnddo5KXSX1re1154o1_250.gif

smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Originally Posted By: Kestas
Etiquette

Etiquette...........
PLEASE don't be bringing that up
grin.gif

tumblr_mnddo5KXSX1re1154o1_250.gif

smirk.gif

Haha I LOVE that show!! "Hey,it's the bucket lady!!".

One that does bug me is a nearby town with a Spanish name "San Luis Obispo" pronounced exactly the way it is spelled. People will refer to it as "Saint Louie Obispo" which is in no way correct and is certainly not French in origin.

Ooo,ooo I know (cheating from living there in the past)

Chi - lie

Ma-de-na (I think on that one)

I always give my wife [censored] over Chili, she insists it's said like the "soup" but I always correct her.

Originally Posted By: racer12306

Ooo,ooo I know (cheating from living there in the past)

Chi - lie

Ma-de-na (I think on that one)

I always give my wife [censored] over Chili, she insists it's said like the "soup" but I always correct her.

When I lived in Saco (Sock-o) I'd get telemarketers pronounce it "Seiko".
wink.gif

When a TV station gets a new weather girl I always tune in to see if she flubs anything up. They get the towns right, though one always predicted "schnow."
mad.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back