Larger capacity oil filter for 2013 Ford Focus

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK. I would like to use a larger oil filter on my 2013 Ford Focus. Before anyone starts with “do you think you are smarter than the Ford engineers”, let me just say that I can sight numerous examples where factory engineers have been dead wrong. Anyway, I just want to use a filter with more capacity. From past information on this Board I have learned about some alternate oil filter choices. The factory spec oil filter from Mobil 1 the M-102 has the dimensions as follows.

Height 3.404
OD 2.98

Gasket Size
OD 2.738
ID 2.430
Thickness .226

The filter I was going to use was the M1-204 has the following dimensions.
Height 3.75
OD 3.69

Gasket Size
OD 2.834
ID 2.462
Thickness .20

When I tried to use the Mobil One M-204, the gasket part seemed to be rubbing on the block, so I put The M-102 on.

So my question is, have any of you made this switch to a similar size filter as the M-204 on the Focus and am I being overly cautious. If you think or know the M-204 will not fit is there another filter size I can use to get more filter capacity?

Thanks in advance,
kajunman

IMO, i think you are being overly cautious by using an oversize filter. Some larger filters contain less media than you'd think and comparetively speaking have the same amount of media as a OEM filter would. I woulnd't "guess" by trial and error on your vehicle. If it were mine, I'd go with either OEM or preferably a FRAM Ultra.

You could use an FL400S instead of the FL910. Just make sure you don't drag it over a parking block because it hangs down lower.

Also missing from the comparioson is the bypass pressure setting and whether a back flow valve( can't think of the name) is on the OEM filter. My limited experience suggest taht larger filter that meet all the OEM specs only add 1/4 quart of so in a 5 quart system. Ed

You didn't thoroughly spec the larger filter. It shouldn't work at all. Go to the wix site to poke around, and make sure threads and od/id , bypass, burst and nominal/ or beta are same or VERY near factory - or, maybe someone here with a sim app has a good suggestion.

The reason they spec'ed the fl-910 is they were getting knocked off on concrete parking stops. If your focus has the filter hanging vertically of the front of the block I wouldn't go larger.

as it would then be the lowest point on the front of the car.

Originally Posted By: kajunman
OK. I would like to use a larger oil filter on my 2013 Ford Focus. Before anyone starts with “do you think you are smarter than the Ford engineers”, let me just say that I can sight numerous examples where factory engineers have been dead wrong.

Sorry, but that's still not a valid reason as to why you need a bigger oil filter.

Originally Posted By: kajunman
Anyway, I just want to use a filter with more capacity.

Fair enough. Then I'd suggest a filter with a full-synthetic media vs. a cellulose-type media. The contaminant capacity will be significantly more than a standard filter (of any size). So, if that's really what you're after then that's probably how you should go. Of course, if you want "bigger" just for bigger's sake, then you probably won't like that answer.

The oil filter sits in the exact same place on my older Focus Duratec as is does on yours. Even with a belly pan under there, I think a longer oil filter is a bad idea--and I'm having a hard time understanding any advantage to it. On a clean engine you're probably going to use about 10% of any filter's actual capacity, so I don't see what there is to gain--but if you're sold on it, I'd use a filter with more capacity with the same dimensions.

If you can use an FL400S the Fram Ultra XG 3600 has huge capacity for the price. If it hangs down too low you can try the XG 3614 which is the cross reference for the FL910S but has dual layer synthetic media for higher capacity than the Motorcraft could only dream of.

http://www.framcatalog.com/PartDetailWindow.aspx?b=F&pn=XG3614

http://www.framcatalog.com/PartDetail.aspx?b=F&pn=XG3600

The 3614 is 3.34 inches long and the 3600 is 4.92

The XG 3600 is huge with huge capacity for oil and contamination.

I actually use a larger filter on my mother's focus. Normally the Purolator PL10241 (same size as the M1-102) is called for, but the PL20195 is the same filter just larger, and fits several of my cars. Works fine and the location on my mother's car it does not hang down. Some years I guess may vary. I'm switching all my filters to Wix as the Purolators are used up. Wix number for the larger one is 51516.

Ok, engineers aren't infallible. But can you cite a recent example of engineers getting the oil filter size, etc. wrong? Can you cite a recent example of a Motorcraft filter failing in normal use? Can you find anyone on this forum who has gone wrong using the factory-spec'd filter? In your case in particular, this is not a new engine with a new filter specification: this combo is well-proven.

Do what you wish, but I think there are many better things to worry about. I have the same car and have no plans to use anything but the FL910s, especially as they have a good reputation, are readily-available and are modestly priced.

The oversize filter to the Fram 3614 is Fram 3600. It's a third longer.
M1-209 or Purolator 20195.

Same bypass pressure, been using oversized filters on various cars for 30 years, no problems...

Originally Posted By: Rand
The reason they spec'ed the fl-910 is they were getting knocked off on concrete parking stops. If your focus has the filter hanging vertically of the front of the block I wouldn't go larger.

as it would then be the lowest point on the front of the car.

^^^Totally agree^^^ you don't need it......as someone suggested.....The Fram ULTRA (3614) is the way to go for absolutely the best filtration available. If your OCI's are 7500 miles or under....you can re-use it for the next oil change (its guaranteed for 15,000 miles). Best of all, it cost under $9 at WalMart.

It's for the OP to decide what he needs or wants.

Consider a remotely mounted filter.

Ford can't decide on the filter for the ecoboost.

VW changed to a large filter on the sludging 1.8T.

M-209 it!

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
It's for the OP to decide what he needs or wants.

"wants", sure. "needs"? Not really.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Consider a remotely mounted filter.

unless it's a bypass filter that offers a better level of filtration, what is the possible benefit? Because there's definitely a downside (increase of places to leak).

OP I totally understand you wanting an oversize filter, and could even see some benefits in it as well. Don't let them give you a hard time. We have all wanted to go bigger in the past! But that vehicle is pretty close to the ground. Have you every thought about installing something like an amsoil bypass system in your car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back