Tire Plug sticking out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the scoop -

This tire had a fairly large puncture when it was brand-new. It was repaired with the shop's largest available plug/patch assembly.

It has now been about 25,000 miles since the repair, and the tire is down to 4.5/32". The plug is about even (or sticks out a bit) from the grooves.

I guess my question is - is this an acceptable condition? Should I try to trim back the plug a little bit? Or should it be left alone.

Untitled by thecritic89

Thanks

Thanks. I've never had a flat tire repaired until now, go figure.

plug patch or just plug?

I suppose the 25k data set is fairly telling, especially if there are no mysterious air losses.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Thanks. I've never had a flat tire repaired until now, go figure.

You're a lucky guy. LOL On a more serious note, leave it alone.

I've had several tires successfully plugged that looked like that. (If there's a nail in the road, my wife can find it!
33.gif
) As others have said, rest easy and leave it alone.

If it goes around at the same speed as the rest of the tire then it's okay as is (lol).

I had an old E300 Ford van with 10 ply tires and had a run in with sheet metal screws which resulted in 5 plugs that looks very much like your plug. No problem. This happened a week after purchasing the tires and the tire wore at at the same rate as the other 3. The good thing here is that you noticed it and thought to ask about it. Most people are aware that their car has tires but beyond that they have no interest is such things. It's amazing that tires work as well as they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back