Things I've learned from wrenching

Status
Not open for further replies.
When gas welding under a car it is possible to set your hair on fire. This is not as easily detected as you might imagine (when you have goggles on, a flame is a flame, and even less so when at the periphery of your vision), and the detection time is somewhat dependent on your knowledge of the possibility of it happening in the first place.

It is also possible when working under a car to get gasoline deep into the inner workings of your cell phone. This may not be repairable by the typical internet advice of soaking your phone in alcohol.

Wear gloves whenever possible. Don't get mad. Having an extra car is the best. It takes the pressure off. I do a lot of drilling to loosen and remove. No air or welding/burning tools. A 1/8 bit is your friend. Use it to drill pilot holes. I'm 1 for 3 with EZ outs. Yeah, I was using the cheap ones. Regardless, they work opposite of a drill. Holes release, EZ outs wedge and expand. Now I center punch a good divot and start off with a 1/8 and work up by 16ths then stop just shy of the hole . Switch to a pick to clean the remains out of the threads. Glasses or goggles are a good idea.

Originally Posted By: Mr_Incredible

Beer goes AFTER the job has been completed.

That reminds me of something I encountered at automotive class. There was always a sign that all drinks stay in the break room. If you don't keep them there, you might drink for a bottle that was filled with hazardous chemicals.

Originally Posted By: 05LGTLtd
Cars are designed to be built, not to be disassembled or repaired.

That is usually true.

I have heard heavy machinery is actually designed so mechanics can do repairs in a timely manner.

I have a huge variety of pliers ans dockets, simply because auto makers like to locate things where they shouldn't.

Working on aircraft in the military, in the south, I learned real quick what was and was not important.

Every morning after the briefing and everyone had their job cards, there was a mad rush to get the fans, radio and a/c carts.

Who cares what toolbox you ended up with. Taking someones radio or a/c cart was a serious offense. You could borrow peoples tools all day long and not hear a word from them. TOUCH or MOVE the a/c cart at all? Don't even think about it.

Never use the put a dab on your finger and smell it to see what fluid is leaking. At least not if you work on motor coaches with a toilet in the rear above the engine bay. This comes from personal experience.

Agree with the OP, but it's been a long time since I've found a Chilton/Haynes (same company now) manual useful. FSM and the better Internet forums, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back