New Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: EdwardC
By the way, higher CCA rating is no problem. I shoehorned a much larger battery into my Honda Element for more CCA and longer reserve capacity.

More CCA in same physical footprint is a bad idea as it means weaker plates.

How so?

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: EdwardC
By the way, higher CCA rating is no problem. I shoehorned a much larger battery into my Honda Element for more CCA and longer reserve capacity.

More CCA in same physical footprint is a bad idea as it means weaker plates.

How so?

Because it means they had to put more plates in the same space meaning more items to have the possibility of getting damaged.

So, higher output within the same battery size always means more, thinner plates than lower-output batteries?

Does that mean that higher output (as measured in CCA) deep-cycle batteries will perform more-poorly given a similar TV (if that's even possible to have wildly different CCA rating with similar RC).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I'm not sure that it's more thinner plates it might just be that the plates are packed tighter together.

For the same size, wouldn't that mean that the plates are thicker, if not more plentiful, or am I missing something? I really should know more about this stuff...

I know what I'm wasting my time on the interwebs tonight doing!

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Advance with a discount code would be better yet...
smile.gif

This, although if the battery is a dud, it's a bit of a PITA to get a new one if you do this.

I'm sure it matters not at all, but I returned an AGM battery to Sears due to post leakage (which they said was impossible) without any issue what-so-ever and received a brand new one at no cost. Sometimes, the cost of a battery warranty is only as good as its guarantor.

That's not to say Sears is the answer, nor a Diehard, but that you should take into account where and from whom yo're buying, because saving a buck may not amount to a hill of beans if your dud isn't covered.

Last edited:
I'd just say to buy the best battery that fits within your budget, with the best warranty at a place that is convenient for you to access.

In your case, that sounds like Wally World.

Hope it works well.

I had to replace my Everstart battery due to leakage. WM swapped it no problems, but it was only 18 months old. Time will tell how the replacement goes. Functionally, it has been a fine battery.

Originally Posted By: cutter
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Advance with a discount code would be better yet...
smile.gif

This, although if the battery is a dud, it's a bit of a PITA to get a new one if you do this.

Not sure how it is any more of a PITA w/ a discount code, than it is without one.

When I had a dud AAP battery purchased with a discount code, I took it in, they tested it, and came to the conclusion that it had woofed.

In turn, they gave me a refund for the expired battery. They then price adjusted a new battery, which I purchased with the proceeds from the deceased. They then installed it in my vehicle.

Easy peasy.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I'm not sure that it's more thinner plates it might just be that the plates are packed tighter together.

For the same size, wouldn't that mean that the plates are thicker, if not more plentiful, or am I missing something? I really should know more about this stuff...

I know what I'm wasting my time on the interwebs tonight doing!
It's surface area, not "thickness".

Isn't this a OIL Forum? Synthetic oil in the proper grade allows an engine to crank easier. Less abuse of the battery in cold weather means, generally, longer life. In the good old days it was common practice to disengage the clutch while cranking to reduce drag in cold weather. Got to be a habit for a lot of folks.
I wonder what the static draw of the average car radio is these days. Simple AM/FM radios when solid state first arrived didn't draw more than an amp at 12V. I suppose these new multiamp systems are a lot more hungry. Even my ham radio gear doesn't draw much on receive. Tramsmit is different. I watch a voltmeter.

Last edited:
more and thinner plates are used on high cca batteries to lower impedance.
this gives greater surface area.also gives more surface area to shed paste.
thats why high cca batteries suffer worse from deep cycling.paste that drops off the plates and settles to the bottom of the case or envelope seperator can no longer take part in the reaction.
this is why i go for a battery with the factory cca rating and the highest reserve capacity.and the largest battery by size and weight that i can fit.

So, higher output within the same battery size always means more, thinner plates than lower-output batteries?

Does that mean that higher output (as measured in CCA) deep-cycle batteries will perform more-poorly given a similar TV (if that's even possible to have wildly different CCA rating with similar RC).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back