Circa 1997 Purolator found at work

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this little fellow fallen in between some shelves. Who knows how long it has been there? I thought Bitog might be interested. Note threaded end bypass. I couldn't see an ADBV but it passed the suck/blow test, so it must have one.

10648769_4804242119714_2715303845883603605_o.jpg

10549035_4804242159715_5980595954167537000_o.jpg

10479093_4804242479723_4355628890384189635_o.jpg

10648768_4804242639727_7242712088616163149_o.jpg

10620074_4804242679728_6315487043718296797_o.jpg

What's the date code stamped on the outside of the can?

Unfortunately, I won't be able to cut it open. My manager made me put it back on the shelf to sell. After a new engine and stuff for the Saturn, I don't have an extra $5.00 to buy a filter just to cut open.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
Unfortunately, I won't be able to cut it open. My manager made me put it back on the shelf to sell. After a new engine and stuff for the Saturn, I don't have an extra $5.00 to buy a filter just to cut open.

Can they legally sell a filter that old? What is Purolator's policy?

Can you take it back out of the box and post what the date code is on this filter?

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers

Good question.

Recently returned some very new filters to Walmart without receipt. The TLE person tried not to take them but when they did, they made a statement that they would be destroyed.

Won't mention the filter brand to avoid unnecessary arguments.

Oh what the heck, it was a Fram Orange.

Im sure we can all pool $5 together to get that filter cut
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers

My local WM does this all the time. They always have around 3-5 old Fram filters on the shelves. They are so old the boxes have turned peach orange. Mostly motorcycle applications though.

They are selling Purolators in the Premium Plus box at the local Pep Boys.

Our local Fisher Auto Parts store just closed.

They had name brand motor oil on the shelves that was so old that it was about to ooze through the bottles.

Originally Posted By: JBinTX30
I'd be willing to donate just to see this filter cut open. lol

Wouldn't you rather see it run for 5,000 miles first so we can see if it tears
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

They had name brand motor oil on the shelves that was so old that it was about to ooze through the bottles.

Did you catch the API spec by any chance? Selling old oil that could damage modern cars is downright negligent.

Originally Posted By: jim302
Originally Posted By: JBinTX30
I'd be willing to donate just to see this filter cut open. lol

Wouldn't you rather see it run for 5,000 miles first so we can see if it tears
laugh.gif

Sure, if someone has the correct car it fits on and would run a 1997 era fiter on it.
grin.gif

1997 era might be getting a bit long in the tooth to feel comfortable about running it. I see signs of rusting on the base plate. I'd Rather buy a newer one to ensure nothing is messed up inside. Wonder what the store is charging for this vintage oil filter?

Originally Posted By: jim302
Originally Posted By: SilverC6

Did you catch the API spec by any chance? Selling old oil that could damage modern cars is downright negligent.

From the prices, they didn't sell any of it.

They did sell plenty of the house labeled Warren oil and Wix built filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back