Virgin TG8A cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought this at Meijer for basically free with a $5 promo code I found in the deals/ sales sub forum last spring. Decided to donate it in the name of science.

Noticed the bent crimp seam. The one I previously posted that was ran for 6200 miles had a straight seem.

Look closely. Does that appear to be the start of a tear?

Looks to be potted into the end cap after it was bent, or maybe during when it got bent. Looks like it still kept the seam sealed. Doesn't look good, but most likely functional.

Never seen one like that, not impressive and fortunately not typical either.

Fram media is stronger than most IMO and I highly doubt it would have torn in use.

I would just worry about the oil flow putting extra pressure on the folded portion of the media.. thus causing a tear. The media already had the start of a crease folded into it.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I would just worry about the oil flow putting extra pressure on the folded portion of the media.. thus causing a tear. The media already had the start of a crease folded into it.

I don't think it would have torn in use, even though part of it is a little sideways. Not much V-spread on that pleat.

Originally Posted By: Apollo14
Send it to Fram. You'll get a new one or two back.

Then sell them and use the proceeds to buy a well made filter...
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

I don't think it would have torn in use, even though part of it is a little sideways. Not much V-spread on that pleat.

I think it would all depend on engine health, driving habits and how long it would stay in service.

Having said that, I do believe that it is definetely more prone to failure since it was assembled improperly.

Not enough V-spread to tear on that Fram IMO, plus Frams seem to have much more tear resistant media. Do the tear test between the two with your own hands and you'll see a drastic difference.

Filter's have to really be abused by an engine in bad health (super sludger) and driving conditions to cause a failure. Certainly failures of the filter at 3K miles or less in a clean healthy engines are not normal.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Not enough V-spread to tear on that Fram IMO, plus Frams seem to have much more tear resistant media. Do the tear test between the two with your own hands and you'll see a drastic difference.

Filter's have to really be abused by an engine in bad health (super sludger) and driving conditions to cause a failure. Certainly failures of the filter at 3K miles or less in a clean healthy engines are not normal.

Ugh. It is not even worth the fight or getting off track. Not biting on this one...
hooked.gif

^^^ So you think how the filter is used is the main reason it tears or not? Come on, look at the data. Majority of the reported failures are Purolators used on pretty new pristine engines tearing before 3k on the filter. Not normal.

If it as normal, we'd be seeing torn filers for the past 10 years on this chat board.

You think the V-spread has nothing to do with the failures? What's your "theory" besides how the filter is used?

Even orange cans with gigantic pleat spacing at the seam don't tend to tear because IMO Fram's media is stronger. It's ugly, but it works. The Tough Guard media is stronger still. Not thinking this filter would have torn but we'll never know for sure. We do know it wasn't supposed to be put together like that though, can we say OOPS on that one Fram?
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Even orange cans with gigantic pleat spacing at the seam don't tend to tear because IMO Fram's media is stronger. It's ugly, but it works. The Tough Guard media is stronger still. Not thinking this filter would have torn but we'll never know for sure. We do know it wasn't supposed to be put together like that though, can we say OOPS on that one Fram?
shocked2.gif

Lots of good points here KC
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Gottz ta be politically correct ... 'engeneered fibirous media'.

Bought this at Meijer for basically free with a $5 promo code I found in the deals/ sales sub forum last spring. Decided to donate it in the name of science.

Noticed the bent crimp seam. The one I previously posted that was ran for 6200 miles had a straight seem.

Look closely. Does that appear to be the start of a tear?

Thats a TOUGH GAURD????

It dont look like a TOUGH GAURD.. It looks like the Extra Gaurd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back