2006 Dodge Charger R/T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Looks nice and clean. If I may ask, what makes the transmission programming so great? What are the shift points like that are so different than what you are used to?

It isn't the shift points but the way it almost seems to predict what gear you want to be in when you are driving it. Hard to explain, you'd have to experience it really.

I see. So the transmission is very responsive. Enjoy your new ride!

Responsive, yes. But predictive too, it is almost eerie. SteveSRT8 has described its behaviour before on here but I didn't quite "get it" until actually driving it. Now I know what he was talking about.

And from the looks of things I may not be doing too much of the enjoying until the snow flies, LOL! My wife is all over the thing
grin.gif

Looks nice and clean. If I may ask, what makes the transmission programming so great? What are the shift points like that are so different than what you are used to?

It isn't the shift points but the way it almost seems to predict what gear you want to be in when you are driving it. Hard to explain, you'd have to experience it really.

I see. So the transmission is very responsive. Enjoy your new ride!

Responsive, yes. But predictive too, it is almost eerie. SteveSRT8 has described its behaviour before on here but I didn't quite "get it" until actually driving it. Now I know what he was talking about.

And from the looks of things I may not be doing too much of the enjoying until the snow flies, LOL! My wife is all over the thing
grin.gif

Hmmm, now I want to drive one. How many speeds?

Last edited:
Beautiful car! I continue to be tempted by a 2009 Hemi Orange Challenger SRT that's for sale not too far from me...

I like that too. It's like it knows what gear to be in so it doesn't lug.

And I have seen 31mpg in mine. No one believes me,not that I care though. They are great cars. The stock DVD player has a nice screen and the stock stereo sound great.
Wait til winter. It's impressive with snow tires. The traction control is fantastic.
I bought a tuner for mine. A diablosport. I can't say that I felt it had any more power at full blast but it certainly became more responsive with light throttle inputs.
And without the speed limiter it will bury the 160mph speedo,in a hurry.
It's not quite your BMW,but it's definitely a fantastic family sedan,grocery getter,tire roaster etc.
Congrats. The more you drive it the more you're going to like it. After buying mine I found myself grabbing the chargers keys over the mustangs(blasphemy I know).
And it handles like a dream at high speeds. 100mph and it's fantastic. No shudder or shake,nothing. Just a comfortable ride.
And mds has me sold. I won't buy another v8 without it. Those guys who shut it off are fools.
And as far as oil don't believe the hype. Use whatever grade you want. Mds operates just fine whether using a 40 grade or the prescribed 20 grade,so don't sweat it.
Have you figured out how to use the EVIC system yet. If not pm me and I'll give you the run down.
The EVIC system gives you actual oil and water temps,actual rpm,actual pints of fuel left in the tank and so on. It's simple to get into to.
And the navigation is where you set up intervals sick as oil change,tranny fluid and tires and so on. It's user programmable,not automatic.
Ditch the graphics though. They look sexy naked.
Welcome to the charger owners club. They are a great car. I learned a new appreciation for dodge,and the hemi,after buying this car.

haha, see, I didn't spoil it!

Yep he's probably going to like it. She is, too. And with proper tires (Tire Rack DID have a 17 steelie that fit, maybe not anymore) it's just fine in the white stuff.

I have tried to tell many about this trans and its programming, but it is a hard thing to explain. And once tuned it becomes even better.

Good luck with the car. It should serve you well for a LOOOONG time...

OVERKILL said:
Hmmm, now I want to drive one. How many speeds?

It's the 5 speed NAG1, which was licensed from Mercedes who called it a 722.6. An old design that was many years ahead of the competition.

Features infinitely variable lockup in all gears but first, real ball and roller bearings where most other trans' use plain, and tons of torque capacity.

It will slur around town getting great mileage and then really shift quickly when you want to go. The extremely wide ratio spread is great for performance and economy and suits the 5.7 very well...

Life's great when you have an automatic transmission that wants to work with you. I've driven too many cars that didn't want to work with the driver. Life's too short to drive stuff like that, so I don't anymore (I know...first world problems).

Congrats on the new car. I like the Mercedes-sourced cruise control stalks on these.

Originally Posted By: silverrat
Are you keeping the side graphics?

I think so, the wife likes them.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

And as far as oil don't believe the hype. Use whatever grade you want. Mds operates just fine whether using a 40 grade or the prescribed 20 grade,so don't sweat it.
Have you figured out how to use the EVIC system yet. If not pm me and I'll give you the run down.

I'm thinking M1 EP 0w-20 or M1 AFE 0w-20, both of which are readily available. Are you using MOPAR filters?

the EVIC system gives you actual oil and water temps,actual rpm,actual pints of fuel left in the tank and so on. It's simple to get into to.
And the navigation is where you set up intervals sick as oil change,tranny fluid and tires and so on. It's user programmable,not automatic.

Haven't gotten around to playing with it yet. We pick the car up tomorrow.

Welcome to the charger owners club. They are a great car. I learned a new appreciation for dodge,and the hemi,after buying this car.

Good to hear. I don't think the graphics are going anywhere though, my wife likes them and this is going to be primarily her driver.
smile.gif

I have really always liked them and when I update the Grand Prix in 4 to 5 years. The new body style one is my short list. I like the last gen just as much, but by the time I am ready they will be pretty old and have some miles.

I'm thinking M1 EP 0w-20 or M1 AFE 0w-20, both of which are readily available. Are you using MOPAR filters?

the EVIC system gives you actual oil and water temps,actual rpm,actual pints of fuel left in the tank and so on. It's simple to get into to.

Haven't gotten around to playing with it yet. We pick the car up tomorrow.

Good to hear. I don't think the graphics are going anywhere though, my wife likes them and this is going to be primarily her driver.
smile.gif

Well happy wife happy life right,I'd be keeping them too if she liked them. Mine came naked other than the hemi side badge and the rt on the front and back.

As far as oil filters I've used Bosch distance plus,a pure 1 and now a fram ultra. I keep an eagle eye on oil pressure and I saw no difference between any of them in service. Not saying there isn't a difference,just that I didn't see any.

The EVIC is easy to get into. On the wheel you've got buttons. Hold down the nav button and the music note button for 5 seconds and you'll access the EVIC system where you get actual data and temp readouts instead of idiot gauges.
Use the up/down button,not the +\- to scroll the different displays.

I've been driving my truck lately however as there nice days are winding down I decided to drive the car this past week or so. I certainly missed it.
Great vehicles. Puts a smile on my face every time I get behinds the wheel

Hope not! It was a while ago, but the last Mopar filter I cut open was an OCOD! Once the dealer stopped sending me $21 LOF coupons, I used Super Tech 5W-20 oil and (usually) Puro Classic filters on my Magnum. IIRC, it's 7500 miles for normal use, and the Hemi takes seven quarts.

The ones sold at the local dealer have metal end-caps so I'm assuming they are a champ or Puro
21.gif

I'd run an FL-820S on it if I could, LOL!
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back