Great weekend of riding

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I spent the weekend with a local riding group...in central Vermont, pretty much the absolute middle of nowhere. (Vermont has LOTS of middle of nowhere.) Had fun...ride up after work Friday was a bit chilly, but not bad. Saturday was chilly, but started OK...then ended with a 50-mile ride back in 50-degree pouring rain. (Note to self: make sure the ride leader knows how to read a map, a clock, and a weather alert!)

I had decent gear and my Burgman's fairing gives lots of wind protection...but even with allegedly-waterproof gear, my wife (riding a naked bike) got absolutely soaked. My hands were cold and wet (gloves insulated but not Gore-Tex), my helmet liner was wet, a little rain seeped in between my jacket & pants on the highway...her gloves WERE waterproof, as were her boots...but the liners on her pants & jacket both leaked badly, so everything EXCEPT her hands and feet were soaked. By the time we got back to the hotel, she was so cold she could barely climb off the bike...her thermal top and tights were literally DRIPPING wet. So, I pulled her riding clothes off and put her in the shower with me. We nearly missed dinner.
banana2.gif

Met some nice people, from as far away as Montreal, Buffalo, Baltimore, and Tennessee...food & company were pretty good. Planning on doing it again next year..hopefully, minus the 35-degree temperatures and the monsoon.

We rode back today...first ~60 miles we were running with a big Victory and a couple of Goldwings, and they were HAULING. Liz kept up well enough, but I ran into my rev limiter (9100RPM, ~95MPH) several times.

Sounds like fun, any photos of the trip ?
Be careful out there when there is poor weather.

I'm surprised Vermont gets cool temperatures and its still September (I always lived in warm climate states).

If you have any pics you feel like sharing, I'd like to see New England in the Fall.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Sounds like fun, any photos of the trip ?
Be careful out there when there is poor weather.

I'm surprised Vermont gets cool temperatures and its still September (I always lived in warm climate states).

It was snowing in Wyoming, this past week.

Rule #1 when riding in cold weather

NEVER have a shower to warm up. Only take baths to fully warm your body, as your core is far colder than the skin and you'll end up burning your skin trying to warm up.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Rule #1 when riding in cold weather

NEVER have a shower to warm up. Only take baths to fully warm your body, as your core is far colder than the skin and you'll end up burning your skin trying to warm up.

Couldn't take a bath...we had a room with no tub.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Did you actually read the whole post?! I wasn't 2-up.

I'm a busy guy-if I miss something in a non-factual post(story) you'll have to just deal with it. I'm not perfect.

Be so careful of hypothermia. Not only can't we move right, but we also can't think right when we're that cold. An early stop might have been very prudent. The possibility of a crash just to maintain a schedule is not a good trade off.

"One of the most convenient ways to determine whether someone is suffering from hypothermia is a noted change in personality: Complaints of fatigue, sluggish speech, and confusion are common,"
http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/Hypothermia

Bad when riding (or driving or anything else requiring physical and thought processes).

Originally Posted By: Ken2
"One of the most convenient ways to determine whether someone is suffering from hypothermia is a noted change in personality: Complaints of fatigue, sluggish speech, and confusion are common,"

That explains everything, my wife must of been born with hypothermia....haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back