Car Key Copies

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sister's 1998 Corolla LE came with two non-genuine keys, 1 of them was chewed up (it's built so well, whoever's teeth marks are on here must have amazing teeth).

the key in working condition has issues turning, so you have to do it "just right" in order for the door locks to open/close, ignition is of no issue though.

How much are OEM keys? its a simple ole fashioned key, no new technology here.

Or should I should go get the key copied? if so where? Walmart doesn't seem to have the right size to copy this key when I went, what others places do you guys go? I don't know of any local locksmiths, but what about autozone/advance/oreilly/napa? do they makes car key copies? that is what google told me.

I just want a reliable car key copy is all.

Thank You.

Call a Toyota parts department and ask. They might be able to make one off your VIN once your provide the proper information.

Ford just revised their system to make it absolutely horrible for a customer to get a key made by the VIN.

I paid $12 for an OEM Honda key for a 1993 model cut according to the VIN info. They asked to see ownership and license. This was about 3 years ago.

Old keys can be done at most hardware stores. Have the vehicle outside so you can test it.

There are a few issues with cutting with the VIN that I have come across.

1. The cylinders can wear a bit. Usually the ignition one from constant use and a fresh cut key will not turn it. The door and trunk cylinders barely ever get used so the VIN cut works on them.

2. The previous owner of the vehicle, or the current owner, had the vehicle re-keyed for some reason so the factory code no longer applies.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
I don't know of any local locksmiths,

Not sure what you meant by this?

I'd go the local locksmith route.

Did you make a few calls? Yellowpages or google or yelp will help you if you don't know the names of the locksmiths.

Go to a Toyota parts website
Order yourself up 2 OEM Toyota keys

Get a hold of a Toyota dealer for the key code, which usually requires licnece and registration.
Then either they'll cut it for a fee, or a locksmith will from the code.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Ford just revised their system to make it absolutely horrible for a customer to get a key made by the VIN.

Please clarify on "Just"
I did it 2~ months back, for my Taurus.
My local dealer was being a jerk, wanting $65 just to give me the code. So I called a different dealer (Up in Scarsdale), faxed license and registration, and he gave it to me. He said its a 10 year revolving door, so I was lucky I got it now, as by the end of the year I wouldn't have been able.

....they couldn't get the one for my Villager.
Probably should have gotten that earlier
frown.gif

I had a key made off of the code that was provided with the OEM keys and stamped on a small piece of aluminum. It was a 5 digit number, and an Acura dealer could make a new key for about $12. The key actually looked pretty bad but worked. The cuts were the right depth, but the cuts were really narrow. I don't know exactly how to describe it other than the factory keys looked better.

The strange thing with that car was that when I wanted to make a spare key, I copied it off of the valet key, which I never used. It worked just fine and I think the only difference was the shape of the key which was supposed to prevent inserting it in the trunk or glove box keyholes. Didn't quite get the trunk though, since there was a remote trunk release.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Please clarify on "Just"

The policy went into effect middle of last month. So it is the 10 year revolving door for key codes. Now we are required to have an open Repair Order for every key code request. The official Ford policy does not require the vehicle be present, but CA State law requires the vehicle to be present since we are required to set vehicles tire pressure to door stickers for every Repair Order. There is a form you are supposed to fill out and we are required to make a photocopy of the ID and proof of ownership and keep it on file with the form. Ford will audit the dealers occasionally and if the required paperwork is not present they will revoke that dealers ability to look up codes for customers. If a customer does not wish to have their info photocopied, we are told to no longer help them and they can call Ford directly.

As with the prior policy, we are only allowed to assist the registered owner. Ford does not consider lien holders and repossessors as owners, it has to be for the person on the vehicle registration in person.

All of that was put into place because of this http://www.autoblog.com/2013/07/30/ford-blamed-in-drug-mule-lawsuit/

The last couple of keys for my 1999 Camry were done at Walmart and Sears respectively. Never mind; as you don't have a good working key to copy from!

Dealer for this problem. Been there done that with 2 of our older Toyota's.
As others said VIN and ID. Older keys like your 98 are cheap to replace. Newer fancy 'electronic' types the sky's the limit.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
The last couple of keys for my 1999 Camry were done at Walmart and Sears respectively. Never mind; as you don't have a good working key to copy from!

Update: I started this thread since I didn't have a good enough key to copy from, I tried walmart at first and they were out of that particular key size, fortunately I was driving by Lowe's and decided to give them a shot, well guess what? the copy now works flawlessly.

I was being too ambitious as my sister wanted a fancy girl key and since a few suggested I try ace hardware, I gave in and drove up there. Well what a waste of time and money, not only did they not have new key copying machines, the guy took 10 minutes to make a copy. All in all I had to drive back to return for a full refund and go back to Lowe's to finally now have 2 proper working keys.

My experience: Lowe's key copying machine that is serviced by a Lowe's employee works perfectly, better then Walmart even though there machine looks the same.

Not the key copying vending machine, it has had nothing but complaints.

since copying keys on older cars is so cheap; I usually make two or three and stash them inside the house.

If the machines are not maintained they will copy wrong. I have had to fix ours a few times and do a recalibration on the computer cutter we have.

Still trying to convince our GM to let us get the $12,000 sidemill cutter for the new keys so we don't have to order them precut from Ford and wait 2 days.

Wow. I've seen that machine in the Rotunda catalog
Nice.... But big $$$
And they'll want there ROI, which cue the $$ minimum for keys.

.....yet you can't order a $38 crate of tissues
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Wow. I've seen that machine in the Rotunda catalog
Nice.... But big $$$
And they'll want there ROI, which cue the $$ minimum for keys.

.....yet you can't order a $38 crate of tissues
laugh.gif

We would actually get use out of the key cutter. Right now we either have to order keys precut from Rotunda/Stratec or put a vehicle down and take the existing key to a locksmith and pay them $45 to trace it. We already have the computer cutter for Mazda and the 10/8 cut Ford keys, and a manual Curtis tracer.

If your keys have no electronics in them, they might not be too expensive from the dealer. $10 was about what I paid for the keys in my 2003 ION.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back