Michelin M/S2 vs A/T2---SNOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A/T2s, 265/70/18 came on my GMC 3500.

They are good in deep snow in a straight line, but too hard for ice, slippery braking down hill and in off-camber curves.

The Goodyear SRAs 265/60/20s that came on the 2500 are a M/S2 copy, far better on ice and other winter road conditions, but not so great in deep snow.

Over the years I've bought perhaps 16 Michelin M/S2s and their predecessors (it's a Costco thing).

They are excellent in dry and medium snow (like the photos up thread), but pack-up in wet coastal snow.

My go-to tire for all things winter in rural B.C. was the Good Year Workhorse, excellent in deep snow, and because of their open tread design, they do not pack up in wet snow.
Pre-snowflake (now Dura-trac) examples needed studs for ice and hard pack.

Closed tread KOs and the AT2 Generals (Continental) are not especially good or bad in all conditions. The Generals can be studded.

Off-road enthusiasts that pull sleds like Toyo and Cooper MTs 35-40s because they too will not pack-up with snow. (Think mud except white)

Sledders and hunters around here (non-coastal snow) speak well of the Hankook RW-11 studded and the Dura-trac.

The new Toyo OC/CT (M55 replacement) will likely become a new third choice. (White, Georgia plant?)

I like the look of the new Toyos because they appear to be re-capable, and in my sizes.

My Dad is not impressed with the Light Truck LTX MS/2 in the snow compared their CRV with old 1st gen Xices on it. It seems the P version is good and the LT is not in snow.

Originally Posted By: used_0il
A/T2s, 265/70/18 came on my GMC 3500.

They are good in deep snow in a straight line, but too hard for ice, slippery braking down hill and in off-camber curves.

The Goodyear SRAs 265/60/20s that came on the 2500 are a M/S2 copy, far better on ice and other winter road conditions, but not so great in deep snow.

Over the years I've bought perhaps 16 Michelin M/S2s and their predecessors (it's a Costco thing).

They are excellent in dry and medium snow (like the photos up thread), but pack-up in wet coastal snow.

My go-to tire for all things winter in rural B.C. was the Good Year Workhorse, excellent in deep snow, and because of their open tread design, they do not pack up in wet snow.
Pre-snowflake (now Dura-trac) examples needed studs for ice and hard pack.

Closed tread KOs and the AT2 Generals (Continental) are not especially good or bad in all conditions. The Generals can be studded.

Off-road enthusiasts that pull sleds like Toyo and Cooper MTs 35-40s because they too will not pack-up with snow. (Think mud except white)

Sledders and hunters around here (non-coastal snow) speak well of the Hankook RW-11 studded and the Dura-trac.

The new Toyo OC/CT (M55 replacement) will likely become a new third choice. (White, Georgia plant?)

I like the look of the new Toyos because they appear to be re-capable, and in my sizes.

The Workhorse was a good tire. The DuraTrac is definitely better in slippery conditions. I had to add sipes to my Workhorse tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back