GM stopping sales of new Corvettes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
GM without the Corvette is like Brooklyn Decker without her chest. You gotta have something spicy to make make consumers interested in the rest you have to offer.

I had to look that up (Brooklyn Decker isn't a common name to me)...not being trusting of everything I read at first glance, I had to look that up a number of times to be sure.

Me too, I'm glad I did. You can never be too sure around here.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Originally Posted By: Apollo14
I thought all this was solved when the government took over and Nancy Pelosi announced the GM would stop making cars that people wanted like the then brand new Camaro and start making cars people needed like the Volt. If GM would only have followed the advice of an industry expert like Pelosi there would be no Corvette to cause these problems (lol).

If you weren't so biased, you'd check your "facts". Simple to do eg from wikipedia:

Sorry, I was at the Moscone Center in San Francisco when she made that statement at a fund raising event for a group of some kind or other. I was next door at a computer conference. After reading your post I checked with myself and my wife and confirmed that I was there. I also asked my wife if she remembered Pelosi's statement and without prompting as to the content and she remembered it, as well. There's no bias on my part. I'm not an automotive industry expert, I'm not a politician and I don't work for GM. I also believe that people can choose what they want to purchase without her help or that of the government. That's what caught my attention when she spoke. I understand that she's more important than me but I will also continue to make my choices without her advice and consent. The media picks and chooses and writes stories. There's more to life than that for some people.

Not doubting you didn't hear her or she didn't say that. Indeed I have little time for Pelosi but the timeline of Volt investment was before that statement.

And even then, if GM executives can't make or explain a viable product line strategy without surrendering what they think is best to a Pelosi comment then they are bad executives (which is not surprising given GMs track record).

Lastly you do realize that at the Moscone center, Pelosi is playing to a home crowd that embraces technology and the environment. She's a politician and plays to the crowd. She and Obama come to CA for fundraising.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
This isn't just tied to GM the fact is that every automaker is
pushing the vendors that supply parts to the absolute edge to
cut costs and the result of it is defective and faulty parts in increasingly huge numbers which of course leads to recalls and
TSBs.

Personally I wouldn't even bother buying ANY new car today, they are too complicated, and expensive in the first place, and then you have this extreme cost cutting and you have a guaranteed recipe for disaster. The entire auto industry is shooting itself in the foot, but being as arrogant as they are they will end up cutting their nose off despite themselves. LOL

Constantly pushing to cut costs, and yet auto prices continue to go up every year. That money's going somewhere...I wonder where?

Last edited:
GM without the Corvette is like Brooklyn Decker without her chest. You gotta have something spicy to make make consumers interested in the rest you have to offer.

I had to look that up (Brooklyn Decker isn't a common name to me)...not being trusting of everything I read at first glance, I had to look that up a number of times to be sure.

yep, I researched that one for a while myself...

Originally Posted By: dave1251
It is never good PR when a flagship model has its sales halted due to poor Q.C.

I completely disagree. It shows that GM cares about quality. Its way out of character for them. Its an engine that's been hot-rodded six ways to sunday so its understandable that there might be some problems.

In the olden days GM more or less adopted a "field engineering" approach as a deliberate strategy. A car with a half-baked design and build would be unleashed to the public, then GM would gradually fix the problems that cropped up over the next two or three years in their manufacturing process. If the car was successful, GM would then steadily decontent the car over the next several to the breaking point. This over time gave them the optimum mix of profits and dissatisfied customers.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: Doog

Yeah, however the flip side of this coin is that quality problem feedback is getting to HQ at a very fast speed. This type of action is what heads off recalls before they get out of control and people suffer. So, I see it as a positive for GM.

No doubt Mary Barra has changed the culture at GM QA

I would say the lawsuits over the faulty ignition switch are changing the culture at GM. Mary Barra is reacting as any CEO would.

Bingo...

It's a different world with Uncle Sam collecting the big fines for not being responsive.

Originally Posted By: grampi

Constantly pushing to cut costs, and yet auto prices continue to go up every year. That money's going somewhere...I wonder where?

It's the dollar and expansion of the money supply.

It's going to be ugly when the market comes to terms with that.

Lots of baseless attacks.

Its a minor assembly line problem and they are addressing it quickly...all manufactures have them from time to time.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

yep, I researched that one for a while myself...

I did too. Some days you get a good education at BITOG.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: jimbrewer

I completely disagree. It shows that GM cares about quality. Its way out of character for them. Its an engine that's been hot-rodded six ways to sunday so its understandable that there might be some problems.

In the olden days GM more or less adopted a "field engineering" approach as a deliberate strategy. A car with a half-baked design and build would be unleashed to the public, then GM would gradually fix the problems that cropped up over the next two or three years in their manufacturing process. If the car was successful, GM would then steadily decontent the car over the next several to the breaking point.

This over time gave them the optimum mix of profits (Apollo14: don't you mean losses) and dissatisfied customers.

QED

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: Doog

Yeah, however the flip side of this coin is that quality problem feedback is getting to HQ at a very fast speed. This type of action is what heads off recalls before they get out of control and people suffer. So, I see it as a positive for GM.

No doubt Mary Barra has changed the culture at GM QA

I would say the lawsuits over the faulty ignition switch are changing the culture at GM. Mary Barra is reacting as any CEO would.

Bingo...

It's a different world with Uncle Sam collecting the big fines for not being responsive.

What's wrong with this picture? The problems would exist between GM and its customers, yet the Gummint gets the money?

Last edited:
I thought all this was solved when the government took over and Nancy Pelosi announced the GM would stop making cars that people wanted like the then brand new Camaro and start making cars people needed like the Volt. If GM would only have followed the advice of an industry expert like Pelosi there would be no Corvette to cause these problems (lol).

If you weren't so biased, you'd check your "facts". Simple to do eg from wikipedia:

Sorry, I was at the Moscone Center in San Francisco when she made that statement at a fund raising event for a group of some kind or other. I was next door at a computer conference. After reading your post I checked with myself and my wife and confirmed that I was there. I also asked my wife if she remembered Pelosi's statement and without prompting as to the content and she remembered it, as well. There's no bias on my part. I'm not an automotive industry expert, I'm not a politician and I don't work for GM. I also believe that people can choose what they want to purchase without her help or that of the government. That's what caught my attention when she spoke. I understand that she's more important than me but I will also continue to make my choices without her advice and consent. The media picks and chooses and writes stories. There's more to life than that for some people.

Nicely put OneEye!

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Lots of baseless attacks.

Its a minor assembly line problem and they are addressing it quickly...all manufactures have them from time to time.

restated for truth.

And honestly, car mfgrs have been unleashing new tech on us left and right. It's nothing new that the early adopters are the field testers. There are dozens of active threads all over the place about new tech in new cars that doesn't work properly.

Gee, you mean when my Dad said over 50 years ago "Son, never buy the new model until the bugs have been worked out" he was RIGHT?

ALL COMPANIES do this, it's not unique to GM.

Thank you for your post. The bias is considerable, eh?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back