Ford Edge - opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about replacing the CR-V. Looking for something with a little more towing capacity, a little larger, and AWD. The Edge caught my eye. Does the V6 have a timing belt or chain?

Check into reliability. A guy has @ work has one and it seems to be a nightmare. He tows; twice the xtransmission has thrown codes, bucked and then "fixed itself"; VSS already changed. Transmission place loaned him the code reader/clearer as a fix.

Last edited:
I feel like i should know this, since my car,and both my parents cars, and my uncle's Lincoln all have this engine..... TO THE SERVICE MANUAL!!!

it's a chain.

everyone I know with a edge has complained about the front edge of the seat hitting their leg weirdly, and uncomfortably. but my Uncle is on his Second Lincoln MKX, which is essentially the same thing, and he's had no such complaints(or any complaints in general)
so ymmv/buyer be ware, etc..

I have a co-worker with an Edge and he loves it.
Over 60K with nothing more than oil/filter changes.

He claims to get almost 25 mpg and better than that on highway runs.

My friend has a AWD Edge and it is a dookietrain. I wouldn't suggest one. Perhaps the FWD ones are better?

Originally Posted By: beast3300
My friend has a AWD Edge and it is a dookietrain. I wouldn't suggest one. Perhaps the FWD ones are better?

Sorry, but I'm not familiar with the term "dookietrain". Could you elaborate, please? I take it he's had problems with the AWD, but what sorts of problems?

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I believe that it uses the same variable displacement a/c compressor as the Ford 500. Nothing but trouble from those.

only on models pre-2008, an anything newer they changed to a different unit.

I'm a Ford guy, but from what I've heard, the Edge is one of their weaker offerings. It was among the first of Ford's complete new redesign so it stands to reason that there were teething problems. 3.7L has a chain. Its by far the best feature of my truck.

If you get it, and tow, get yourself one of those el cheapo extended Ford warranties they sell over the 'net.

{Edit:] Doesn't look horrible on Truedelta: http://www.truedelta.com/Ford-Edge/reliability-728 It's certainly a nice looking car.

Last edited:
We do not see many issues with them at work really. They use the stretch to fit drive belt but thats not a deal breaker.

Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman
Originally Posted By: beast3300

Sorry, but I'm not familiar with the term "dookietrain". Could you elaborate, please? I take it he's had problems with the AWD, but what sorts of problems?

The driveshaft from the PTU to rear differential failed. He has noises in the suspension that he can't seem to get fixed. He is very unhappy with the vehicle.

lower your expectations, i doubt you have had a single issue with your crv right? its a unicorn amongst non problematic mini-minivans.

Well, my grandmother has had two. She was looking today at buying a new one. I convinced her to get a C-max, since she has a pretty far commute, and doesn't really need something that big, and something like the C-max that gets better gas mileage is more something that she would benefit from.

What kind of towing capacity are you after, and what is your budget, if you don't mind me asking? There are probably other choices that will fit your needs better than an Edge. If you tow often, even smaller loads, then I'd recommend something based on a RWD platform. Like a previous generation Explorer, a Durango, a Tahoe or Yukon, etc.

We tow up to 1,500 pounds occasionally with both of our vehicles, and they do it, but they're not optimized for it. If towing was a larger part of our "vehicular lifestyle", then I'd trade one of them for something with RWD.

My parents just bought a new vehicle. They were shopping Acura RDX, Ford Edge, Honda CR-V, and Ford Escape. Edge was the first vehicle ruled out of the four for being big, less car-like, and looking very dated inside. Next ruled out was the CR-V, overall they thought it was a great value but for some reason the center console really bothered my mom and she couldn't get passed it. It was down to Escape and RDX. They liked the power of the Escape Ecoboost engine and the dash but they felt that everything else in the interior was quite cheaply finished. They took delivery of their new RDX earlier this week and they love it.

Last edited:
Thanks all, after weighing the pros and cons, I'm thinking I'll hang on to the CR-V for a while yet. I was a little disappointed to find out that to get the 3,500 pound tow rating on the Edge, you must opt for the tow package, which is not available in the base trim. Nice vehicle, but I'm kind of used to not having a car payment. New tires installed on the 'V yesterday, so I'm ready for a couple more winters yet.

I don't know much about them, but as far as crossovers, CUVs whatever you want to call it, they are, I think pretty good looking.

Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman
New tires installed on the 'V yesterday, so I'm ready for a couple more winters yet.

What tires did you put on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back