B-25 flew over my house

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a great alarm clock! The sound of 2 big radials in the cool morning air. Inyhoo, I did some digging and being an aviation buff, I had no clue that one of the premiere WWII aviation restoration companies in the world moved to Colorado Springs and owns a B-25 and a P-47. I've heard them flying from time to time. They're working on an F7F Tigercat and a P-38 Lighting currently.

http://www.westpacrestorations.com/index.php?page=news-resources

Here's their B-25:

They also own a new museum at out old airport:

http://www.worldwariiaviation.org/

Last edited by a moderator:
Their shops and hangars look like hospital operating rooms. Their whole place is cleaner and better organized than my garage at home.

It's good to hear they are training people in these lost arts and skills needed in manufacturing and maintenance. Maybe someday America will be able to return to the old days when we made just about everything and did a good job of it.

Lucky you. Ford produced one about every 65 minutes at the height of production. Can you imagine? How did we train the flight crews fast enough to keep up?

There was a B 24 flying out of Plymouth in the summer time. The radials make a distinctive sound. Up to the 90s There was a DC3 in regular service flying passengers from Logan to Hyannis. And the fighters. P 51s are very much extent still.

Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
Lucky you. Ford produced one about every 65 minutes at the height of production. Can you imagine? How did we train the flight crews fast enough to keep up?
Wash outs from the fighter programs. The young men of WWII all wanted to be fighter pilots. There was a lot of OJT with a steep learning curve too. Many of the vets I grew up around took up flying after being around planes in the service.

Wow! What an outstanding facility. To come back and have the skills to work there would be a dream life.

Thanks forosting

I read on their website that "In The Mood" was the B-25 used in the movie Pearl Harbor and made two carrier takeoffs from the USS Constellation fore the film, to show the history of the Doolittle raid. That is just cool!

Last edited:
The Twin Cities area is home to alot of flying warbirds. I hear and see them many VFR days. A brightly polished B-25 rumbled over our place earlier in the summer-don't know where that's based. Also have seen a blue + white twin amphibian, but I don't know what it is. Big or as big and somewhat similar to a PBY but the wings are attached conventionally to the fuselage. I've seen it flying in a number of locations. My dad soloed in 1940, but drafted in 1941 was in the infantry in Calif at Pearl Harbor time and they wouldn't let him transfer to the Air Corps.

Originally Posted By: Lapham3
Also have seen a blue + white twin amphibian, but I don't know what it is. Big or as big and somewhat similar to a PBY but the wings are attached conventionally to the fuselage. I've seen it flying in a number of locations.

I think what you were seeing there was one of the DNR's CL-215 water bombers. Coincidentally, that plane just flew over my house this morning, probably on it's way from Blaine to Brainerd. They have 3 of them, the other 2 are bright yellow. I've never been able to get the tail number off the blue/white one or find any pics of it, but I've seen it flying many times, especially when I lived right by the Blaine airport. One time it came over so low that I probably could have read the tail number, but it was directly overhead.

Here's one of the yellow ones.

mndnrss2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back