Applying the Hand Brake to minimize trans damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I park, I put the gear into P, and with the regular foot brake still applied, I pull up the hand brake, then release the foot brake, and then turn off the car. Will this help prevent and/or minimize transmission damage from the car rocking back and forth without applying the hand brake?

Put it into neutral and then let it come to rest on the hand brake. Then put it into P.

Originally Posted By: cookiemonster
Will this help prevent and/or minimize transmission damage from the car rocking back and forth without applying the hand brake?

yes

Originally Posted By: Apollo14
Put it into neutral and then let it come to rest on the hand brake. Then put it into P.
\

This is what I do as well.

You will not cause any transmission damage when the car rolls back and the parking pawl clicks in. Obviously dont put it into park while still rolling.

Originally Posted By: mcrn
\

+1. No strain on the transmission this way and parked on a slope. No big clunk taking it out of park.

Originally Posted By: tcp71
Originally Posted By: mcrn
\

+1. No strain on the transmission this way and parked on a slope. No big clunk taking it out of park.

+2

The sound of a parking pawl grinding from someone neglecting to do this drives me up the wall

I once threw my car in park while still going about 15 mph. It made a really loud clackety sound, kind of like a ratchet spinning backward, then came to an abrupt stop, rocking back and fourth.
crazy2.gif
Park continued to work fine in that car, a full-sized '71 Ford.

That's how I do it. Doing it that way assures you that the brake his holding the car.

When I chage the oil on my mom's car I accidentally forget to release the parking brake when I park it.

I like when the transmission shifts smoothly into reverse when the parking brake is applied.

I do that on my truck, let it roll in neutral with the parking brake then put in park. But I don't in stickshift, they don't seem to roll as much. And no pawl to worry about.

If I'm on level ground I don't bother with the brake on the auto.

I always apply the parking brake, regardless if vehicle or incline. Just a hold over from years of manual driving.

I hate the sound of popping off of the parking pawl, too. I've seen cars do this for years and years without issue, but it sounds terrible shifting on a steep hill!

How much harm will not setting the parking brake do to a manual gearbox, if one is VERY gentle about letting the car's weight roll back (or forward) onto the drivetrain (by using the brakes) with the trans IN GEAR??
21.gif

(Let's say one's parking brake is not functioning, as the reason for doing this.)

My understanding is that for manual transmissions it is safe.

I agree

That is my understanding too. It's an engine, it's meant to turn. A parking pawl, not so much.

After applying the handbrake I turn off the engine before moving from drive to park. Same thing in the end.

Originally Posted By: Kiwi_ME

After applying the handbrake I turn off the engine before moving from drive to park. Same thing in the end.

Why?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

That's how I do it. Doing it that way assures you that the brake his holding the car.

Same here. Neutral, parking brake, release brake pedal, then park.

It's not only the pawl, but when parked on a hill that holding force is also applied to the engine mounts. Same with a manual transmission.

I am sure the pawl and the engine mounts will be fine, but I'd rather have the parking brake doing this job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back