m1 or GC 0w40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Apollo14
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Toss a coin.

OK .......... now what?

After you find the coin that you tossed, go pick up either oil. Both are very good. I hear more hype about the Mobil 1 offering, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's better.

I've run both in the legacy. Can't say I've noticed much difference between the two. I might lean toward M1, but can't really give you a reason why.

I've used both in my charger. I liked them,but I'd give the edge to M1 only because at cold start the engine felt like it had more pep,almost like there was less drag,but both are great products.

There was a used oil analysis posted within the past few days showing in his vehicle the Castrol had better tbn retention vs the m1 and was able to run more miles with it,if you are trying to maximize mileage on your oil.
I hard cap my vehicles at 10000 miles,with a quality synthetic.
If you've got no particular preference buy which is cheaper.

At my Wally World the Castrol is $1 cheaper per 5 liter container. Also, the Castrol container is much more attractive (gold being more valuable than silver
wink.gif
).

So, I'm going settle into the Castrol camp on this one.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
At my Wally World the Castrol is $1 cheaper per 5 liter container.

At mine the price defference is even larger. Castrol is at $22.66, while M1 0w-40 was just bumped up to $27.97.

At my Wally World the Castrol is $1 cheaper per 5 liter container. Also, the Castrol container is much more attractive (gold being more valuable than silver
wink.gif
).

I thought the Castrol 0w40 came in the black container?

PS: My vote is for Mobil 1.

Originally Posted By: pbm
wink.gif
).

I thought the Castrol 0w40 came in the black container?

PS: My vote is for Mobil 1.

You are right. It does. Gold is for the Ti product, which does not come as a 0w-40.

Our Wal-Marts have Castrol Edge 0w40 at $21.66, and M1 a couple bucks more for the same 5 quart jug. Honestly, both meet the same specs so I'd get whichever is cheaper. Personally, I use Castrol Edge 0w40 in my 2013 GLI and change it every 5k miles. I'll probably extend that out to VW recommended 10k mile OCI now that it's got 17k miles on it and just change the filter at 5k intervals. I've noticed no oil loss on this oil.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back