Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Nothing wrong with Lucas honey. Will add visc and make oil more tacky/sticky. Might need that with turbo DI fuel dilution in Texas mild climate.

Substituting a couple quarts of 0w40 would give you the visc too.

The term modern oils is meaningless. Modern oil from yesterday is obsolete tomorrow.

What?
Does no harm?
What would you call increasing both cold and hot viscosity and diluting the original oils additive package,while adding VII that are guaranteed to shear and if the interval isn't shortened sludge will start accumulating,not to mention a reduction to the original oils tbn.
I'd call that harm. Period.

Op. Nothing about today's oils need to be stabilized. Nothing. This stuff is a non-additized,uber thick 70 grade (or thicker) group 1 basestock oil and has absolutely no business in a modern engine.
It thickens the oil in the sump while diluting the oils additive package which then requires a shortened interval. So by adding it you are increasing drag,lowering mileage and because of the diluted add pack and lowered tbn the oil needs to be changed sooner. So you are paying for a product that ends up costing you more money with a shortened interval and potential sludge as the junk viscosity index improvers shear.
If you want thicker oil but thicker oil. The additive package will remain as formulate,not diluted and the oil will pump faster cold.
Just because that garbage sticks to the plastic wheels on the stupid display at the parts counter doesn't mean it accurately represents it's behaviour in a cold engine at start up,nor a hot engine cooling down.
If you want to use an oil additive there is only 1 brand I have confidence I. And use myself, liqui-moly.
I do here great things about archoil though however I've never used the stuff do I cannot comment on whether it works as advertised. I can say without a shadow of a doubt that liqui -moly products works as advertised in my experience using them in countless vehicles.
Not that I would recommend using an oil additive whatsoever while a new vehicle is under warranty. No way would I risk potential warranty denial.
Lucas oil stabilizer is junk.
I've had mixed results using the fuel treatment. Some vehicle respond with a fuel consumption increase, others get better mileage,so I don't bother with it anymore either.

Originally Posted By: Garak
The term modern oils is meaningless. Modern oil from yesterday is obsolete tomorrow.

And Lucas Oil Stabilizer has been obsolete from its inception.

Ha.

Yep.
Garbage.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
To do what exactly?

Originally Posted By: Stelth
Lucas products are universally despised here. I personally think they have their uses. If I were going to use it in a newer car, I'd use a half-quart of the synthetic stabilizer.

Mostly to [censored] off BITOGers.

Has anyone every seen the little display with the 2 sets of gears, once side just engine oil, the other engine oil + lucas stablizer? Its been sitting on the counters of one of the places ive been going to for a few years. The gears on the LOS side are stickey and tacky and not in a good way, you can feel the resistance and grinding. The engine oil side is still smooth. I'll never use LOS after seeing what its done to that simple display.

Originally Posted By: jrustles
Why is a more tacky/sticky oil beneficial?

Nothing wrong with Lucas honey. Will add visc and make oil more tacky/sticky. Might need that with turbo DI fuel dilution in Texas mild climate.

Lucas is great for converting other oils into Bar and Chain oil! The tackiness helps it to stick to the chain during high speed use
thumbsup2.gif

Conclusion: Lucas is great for chainsaws

Heh. I can buy a whole jug of TSC bar & chain oil for about the same price.

if you read the MSDS on the lucas product(s), the oil stabilizer typically has no soaps, detergents or anti foam addtive.
It's nothing more than refined residual oil.
Equivalent of 140wt gear oil. Nothing more than a massive oil thickener.

Notice when you change your oil after using the stuff you oil kinda is bright, has a weird color to it..
that's air. since there's no antifoam addtive in, as the oil pump swirls up the oil, air is created. So you're now pumping a thickened up oil, where your 2014 F-150 wants to see a 5w20, you essentially upped it to a 10w40 or a 20w50.
the tolerances in that motor are much tighter so a thinner oil is spec'd so it can flow and begin lubricating much faster than a thicker oil.

Please stop using lucas products. there is no benefit from any of them.

Originally Posted By: EricF

+1

Lucas oil stabilizer is pure garbage i dont understand why people buy it

Originally Posted By: magnus308

+1

it's the pretty bottle and convincing labeling

Originally Posted By: RJS1971
Originally Posted By: magnus308

+1

it's the pretty bottle and convincing labeling

+1.

And it has a really nifty counter display.

Opinions on using this? I have a 2014 f-150 ecoboost I am about to change oils to M1 advanced fuel economy synthetic 0 W30. I have always used the regular stabilizer in my wife's car with conventional oils.

What makes you think that M1 AFE 0w-30 is somehow "unstable" and subsequently needs to be "stabilized" by some aftermarket product whose conventional sibling more closely resembles chainsaw bar lube than something that belongs in an engine's crankcase minced with a properly formulated motor oil
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: jrustles
Why is a more tacky/sticky oil beneficial?

Lucas is great for converting other oils into Bar and Chain oil! The tackiness helps it to stick to the chain during high speed use
thumbsup2.gif

Conclusion: Lucas is great for chainsaws

LOL!!!
thumbsup2.gif

If you use this product in a 5qt sump then lower your oci twenty percent. If I wanted to beef up a oil I would use either LM Mos2 or a redline oil 30wt. Lucas oil is not something I would recommend. A basic syn with boron and moly in high ppm would be a great start. Lucas is used on my internal door locks and as my 3 in 1 oil for my Singer sewing machine where it works great!

People get drawn to lucas stuff because of the wording of the label. It's written like a regular joe schmoe wrote it, not the professional word chosen descriptions like everybody else.
You want to use it because of what the claims are, and the big-rig on the front.
Most people know bigrigs go what.. 700,000+ miles. And the false advertising of it make it very attractive to people.
But as I learned here on BITOG, the proof is in the pudding..pull the MSDS and see what the ingredients are.
Kinda get shocked & amazed when you look at lucas stuff. It's low end products with high end marketing to the masses.

convincing people its bad stuff isn't always easy as you run across the guy who's been using it for 10years and never had a problem. Well you may never have one. BUT knowing what the product actually has in it should tell you you've been lucky.

^^^Yeah, I kind of wish they were a high end/high line, premium ingredient type product, since I appreciate what their owner is doing with his MAV TV network.

It makes me want to support his company/buy it's products, but like you state, knowing how poorly made they are, with low grade, useless ingredients, I just cannot.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
While it probably does no harm, I doubt it's doing you any good. Every modern oil already has a highly-engineered additive pack to give you all the protection you need, unless you're operating in unusual circumstances. M1 AFE is an excellent oil that needs no help.

Pretty much sums it up !

I can tell you that it's pretty slippery. The last time I changed the filter in my 4L60E, I changed the filter seal as well. This one is a metal sleeve that has to be driven into the transmission body. I couldn't get the filter neck into the new seal. I lubed it with transmission fluid - no go. I tried Vaseline as well without success. I then tried some Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer on the neck, and, with a little effort, it went in.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Opinions on using this? I have a 2014 f-150 ecoboost I am about to change oils to M1 advanced fuel economy synthetic 0 W30. I have always used the regular stabilizer in my wife's car with conventional oils.

What makes you think that M1 AFE 0w-30 is somehow "unstable" and subsequently needs to be "stabilized" by some aftermarket product whose conventional sibling more closely resembles chainsaw bar lube than something that belongs in an engine's crankcase minced with a properly formulated motor oil
smirk.gif

Nothing is unstable about it just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back