2015 legacy and 0w20 synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a 2015 Subaru Legacy with the 2.5l engine. Owners manual strongly recommends 0w20 synthetic, but 5w30 for the 3.6l engine. Is this really necessary, any alternatives?

First, congrats on the new vehicle! I'm considering a Legacy or Outback for my next purchase.

I've heard of a couple folks running 5w30 in their new Outbacks with the 2.5 on the Outback forums. But IIRC the 4 cylinder was redesigned a couple years ago to use 0w20, while the 3.6 is an older design and still specified to use 5w30.

If it were me I'd go with 0w20 under warranty.

What kind of alternatives are you looking for? You can get 5 quart jugs of Mobil 1 AFE 0w20 a Walmart for like $25.

I would recommend a 0w20 synthetic as it flows really well in your CT winters.

Are you trying to save money by using conventional? A 5w20 conventional would offer similar protection in warmer months but won't last as long in service or start as easily in winter.

Some people recommend being cautious during warranty period in case you have any issues.

If you cant trust the company you bought the vehicle from to make a safe oil recommendation, why buy the car from them?

We are Subaru people and my wife recently purchased a '15 Legacy with the 2.5. She also had a '13 with the 2.5 FB engine. We used 0W-20 in that car and plan on using the recommended viscosity in the '15. Right now I'm leaning toward Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1 AFE. We also ran some NAPA 0W-20 in the last car with good results. When it is on sale for $3.49 qt it's hard to beat; it just was put on the Dexos (GM) list as well, so it has good specs.

Last edited:
I wasnt happy with the napa house brand oils.. seem to varish the dipstick on the 2010 accent easily and drain "like water"

I'd go with PP, PU, m1 afe, or subaru 0w20

yes you should really use 0w20. The timing chain is tensioned by oil pressure and the whole engine is designed around 0w20. Its a newer engine design that debuted in the 2011 forester (my previous car)

You haven't mentioned whether or not you will be expecting any unusual or severe service that would warrant a different oil.

Will you be using it here on the planet under typical US weather conditions?

Originally Posted By: slimjim
Just bought a 2015 Subaru Legacy with the 2.5l engine. Owners manual strongly recommends 0w20 synthetic, but 5w30 for the 3.6l engine. Is this really necessary, any alternatives?

Any particular reason that you don't want to use the 0W-20 oil?

Use 0w20. It is the only option if you want to keep the warranty. Using another weight oil could give Subaru a way out (although the FB is matched to 5w30 in Europe). There is no reason not to use 0w20. When you are covering the repairs (ie not under warranty, then you can put anything you want into it).

Originally Posted By: 05LGTLtd
Castrol or synpower 0w20 for DI FB engine, for lowest deposit trending.

I don't believe Subaru has added direct injection on the FB engines yet.
confused2.gif

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info guys. I guess I was just a little shocked by the owners manual. They were adamant about 0w20 synthetic. I have never used synthetic in any vehicle. I do in my sleds, but those see extreme abuse. I thought of maybe a 5w30 in the car as that's all I have used for the last 30 years with no issues. I will use the 0w20 synthetic as recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back