Emergency: Dilute engine oil with diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Lets assume you are driving your diesel car in the middle of nowhere. Suddenly the oil pressure warning light turns on. You stop the car and inspect the oil dip stick. You realize that the engine is desperately missing oil. You also realize that you cannot move on because the engine will soon get stuck due to the missing oil.

Question to the experts: Can I pour 1 liter of diesel from my gas tank or canister into the engine in order to raise the oil level. I know the engine oil is diluted and it is not so good ... but is it safe to continue to the next service station?

Lucas

Originally Posted By: LucasDK
but is it safe to continue to the next service station?

What do you mean by safe? It would be better for the engine than nothing, but you may well end up with damaged parts. If you are trying to prevent damage, I wouldn't do it. If you just want to get to civilization without walking, and accept that there may some engine damage, then go ahead.

Fuel contamination due to incomplete regen is a common issue since DPFs became common in the UK back in 2006.

Have seen engines stripped where the cam has started to sieze in the head.

And several engines have blown up with rods through the block with only a few thousand miles on the clock from new.

So i am another no voter.

Oil shouldn't suddenly go missing. If it starts drinking oil at some fast rate, dumping in diesel fuel isn't likely to help it at all. Meaning, you might not make it anyhow, as that new super-thin "oil" is apt to disappear even quicker.

I wouldn't, unless if it was dire straits and the cost of a new engine was acceptable.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Only if you are in the Middle East, or a velociraptor zone.

Right, if someone will die if you stop driving, then do it and sacrifice your engine.

Otherwise, nope.

You would be better to use HD passenger oil than diesel fuel. Both arent up to the task, but adding diesel fuel dilutes what cj4 you got. Call a cab.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Only if you are in the Middle East, or a velociraptor zone.

Right, if someone will die if you stop driving, then do it and sacrifice your engine.

I have seen it done on a guy (my cousin) moving interstate from a no inspection state to a full...knowing that his car burned copious quantities, and that it was destined for scrapping at the end, he would rummage the spare ounces at the truck stops, and top up rest of the way with diesel, drive 80 miles or so and do the same.

Clearly was only worth what the scrapper would pay at the end of it.

Originally Posted By: Rosetta
Isn't better to carry a quart or 2 of leget engine oil, for emergencies?

Yea the whole time I was reading the post I'm thinking.. why not just carry a 1gal jug of 15w40 etc.

Guess some of us are just old school. i still carry a few quarts of extra oil in my pickup tool box and a complete oil change of 10 gallons in my commercial semi truck all the times. Winter, summer, spring and fall, 365 a year. Comes from growing up on farm and spending 10 years living in Alaska. One has to be prepared for basic problems.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Guess some of us are just old school. i still carry a few quarts of extra oil in my pickup tool box and a complete oil change of 10 gallons in my commercial semi truck all the times. Winter, summer, spring and fall, 365 a year. Comes from growing up on farm and spending 10 years living in Alaska. One has to be prepared for basic problems.
I am the same way. I always have extra oil, coolant and transmission fluid in my pick-up, just in case!

In our neck of the woods, you can't throw a rock without hitting some source of motor oil.
Even Kroger carries a proper diesel oil.
I guess that I don't understand what the OP is asking.
Motor oil may be expensive from some sources, but it is readily available.
If you have a vehicle that tends to leak or consume a lot of it and you often find yourself driving through areas that have a very low population density and thus a dearth of stores and fuel stations, then you'd just carry some oil along with you.
You may be able to run certain mechnical injection engines on motor oil or even crude, but you can't expect to run any engine using diesel in place of oil.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
I am the same way. I always have extra oil, coolant and transmission fluid in my pick-up, just in case!

Same here...don't leave home without it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back