DSL modem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
You don't have to buy it FROM THEM!

You don't have Uverse, right?
Then any ADSL/VDSL off the shelf modem would probably be superior to the one provided.

Do you want one with a built in router/WiFi? Or do you just need the modem part?

Yes I realize I don't need to buy from them and no I don't need a built in router just modem.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
What ATT internet speeds/plan do you have? Are you sure your provider didn't drop your speed a few months ago? ATT has done this before.

I have the Elite Plan 6meg DL and according a speed test I'm on par with that speed so I know that's not it, Certain pages load certain ones do not.

Originally Posted By: daman

I have the Elite Plan 6meg DL and according a speed test I'm on par with that speed so I know that's not it, Certain pages load certain ones do not.

that doesn't sound like a modem problem.

more like DNS.

Any big differences when it comes to modems?, my AT&T modem is going south I believe because I have to restart it all the time so pages load right and was wondering before I go hunting for one.

Does your Internet Provider use ADSL or the new VDSL technology? CenturyLink (my IP) just switched over from ADSL to VDSL which meant I couldn't keep using my recently purchased (now 3 month old) Actiontec DSL modem/router which uses ADSL technology.

If your IP uses ADSL I could make you a good deal on the Actiontec if indeed you determine your modem is going bad.

Actiontec GT784WN DSL Modem/Router

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Any big differences when it comes to modems?, my AT&T modem is going south I believe because I have to restart it all the time so pages load right and was wondering before I go hunting for one.

Does your Internet Provider use ADSL or the new VDSL technology? CenturyLink (my IP) just switched over from ADSL to VDSL which meant I couldn't keep using my recently purchased (now 3 month old) Actiontec DSL modem/router which uses ADSL technology.

If your IP uses ADSL I could make you a good deal on the Actiontec if indeed you determine your modem is going bad.

I don't need a router though, that one is both right?

Originally Posted By: Rand

that doesn't sound like a modem problem.

more like DNS.

I've narrowed it down to that's the only thing it can be.

Well you can certainly debug that without using a browser. Lots of stuff going on on websites (adverts etc). I would start debugging on the command line. If you can't load a particular website, try resolving the domain name on the command line. You can also change your DNS server to 8.8.8.8 (google's) and see if the issue improves.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Well you can certainly debug that without using a browser. Lots of stuff going on on websites (adverts etc). I would start debugging on the command line. If you can't load a particular website, try resolving the domain name on the command line. You can also change your DNS server to 8.8.8.8 (google's) and see if the issue improves.

Thanks simple but I've tried most of that I got it narrowed down to the modem.

see my other post here...

here

.....For the man who just needs a modem
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TD-8817-Br...words=dsl+modem

If you want/need a Modem + 4 port Router + WiFi N combo
http://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Wireless...words=dsl+modem

I'd recommend installing a POTS splitter if you could or don't have one already
It's the best thing you can do to wring out every last bit of capacity from DSL
And the benefit of cutting noise levels on the line, and you wouldn't need the phone filters.

I don't have filters we gave up the land line phone years ago.

And the benefit of cutting noise levels on the line, and you wouldn't need the phone filters.

Ahh.
Then, you're pretty much all set.
It couldn't hurt to go over your lines to get rid of any unneeded connections or splices.
The less there are, and the better quality the line, the better.

Ahh.
Then, you're pretty much all set.
It couldn't hurt to go over your lines to get rid of any unneeded connections or splices.
The less there are, and the better quality the line, the better.

Yea good idea..

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

I don't need a router though, that one is both right?

Yes, it's a modem & router. All a router does is makes it possible for more than one computer to get on the modem and use the internet. If you have one computer, you just hook up that one computer. It's pretty common for DSL modems to be a router also.

....are you sure its the modem?
Wiring issues are the main cause of DSL problems

+1

If your modem was working fine for years, and suddenly stopped working, chances are the phone company did some upgrade and screwed it up.

That happened to my dad. He was told by AT&T that nothing is wrong with the wiring and then was suggested to upgrade (with incentive of course) to the newer VDSL or ADSL2 from the older ADSL. Same problem remains and then they finally send someone out. It is the new lawn fridge wiring screw up when they upgraded the neighborhood lawn fridge.

If you want to test out with another modem, buy a used one from ebay or craigslist first.

Just thought I'd give an update on this problem, it was as I thought and trouble shot, my modem was bad, I contacted ATT Tech and explained my problem, she then put me on hold to talk to her superior she came back and explained since I was a loyal costumer bla,bla,bla they are sending me a new modem out free of charge, the old modem was around 13 years old so time to upgrade. With the new one installed everything seems fine pages load like they should.

So kudos to AT&T I guess and to any one else having this issue try looking into your modem as a possible cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back