Dirt roads= Severe Driving?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would living on a dirt road dirty your oil faster than normal assuming you have a good PCV as well as a clean air filter?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Would living on a dirt road dirty your oil faster than normal assuming you have a good PCV as well as a clean air filter?

It doesn't matter that the filter is clean. No filter is 100% effective at stopping dirt. So, driving on dirt roads will increase the amount of dirt getting into the oil/engine, hence, severe service should be followed.

im the last house on a mile long dirt rd.with 3500 other people that use parts of the road.sometimes the dust is so thick i must stop and wait for it to clear. i get about 8 weeks out of air filters. yes i do the severe servive interval.

yes.

I frequently use dirt roads and live in a very dusty climate. I do not use the severe schedule. I doubt the majority of Arizonians use the severe service schedule either.

if you are driving with no other cars on the road in front of you, it is more severe that highway of course, but its when you are driving through dust that is bad bad, or if your particluar vehicle kicks alot of dust into the engine bay...

I have to drive half mile to the highway from my place, honda crv, i dont drive fast, my air filter is no dirtier that driving anywhere else. Running an amsoil EA air filter myself.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Dirt passes through the Purolator tears

Trolling.gif
Stop trolling

Please. I live in Saskatchewan and drive dusty gravel roads daily. Follow the severe schedule for the AIR FILTER and buy the best quality unit you can.
There's absolutely no need to follow the severe service oil change interval which is commonly half the miles as compared to regular service which if you start doing the math will cost substantially more in oil changes than if you bought a quality air filter.
If possible install a restriction gauge for the air filter and use is as your guide to air filter changes.
If you've got a k&n air filter on the vehicle I suggest oiling it often and clean in it less. Let some dirt accumulate so the efficiency increases.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Please. I live in Saskatchewan and drive dusty gravel roads daily. Follow the severe schedule for the AIR FILTER and buy the best quality unit you can.

Agreed. And, if one is worried, that's what a UOA is for. One could run a couple and watch silicon intrusion. If it's a problem, it can be addressed. If it's not, the OCI can be extended.

All my owner's manuals list dusty conditions specifically as "severe".

Last edited:
I have driven on gravel roads since I started driving in the 60's. Never did anything different than if I drove only hard top roads. Have not ever had any appreciable higher engine wear. Yeah, go thru air filters more often than most, I suppose, but the few times I have done UOA's, there has never been any up tic of silicon. Same for all my vehicles. I even take my commercial semi truck roughly 75% further on OCI's than the OEM recommended OCI. My pickup OCI's are when OLM reaches 10%. I do have air filter vacuum gauges on all my personal and commercial vehicles.

It sure can't hurt to use Severe level OCI, but not all that sure it is necessary.

There was actually a study done on this, regarding passing a filthy construction area, and the study found that silicone ingestion was increased by hundreds of times over normal. I'll have to see if I can find it.

Dusty environment must be of some concern, because all of the forklifts we have have a filter like this, which spins the heaviest deposits to the back of the filter, where it accumulates without entering the media. Our diesel forklift has not only that, but an oil bath filter at the top, pre-filtering the air before it even reaches that point:

Equipment that stirs up dust in operation, and is in heavy dust conditions are one thing. Most folks who live down gravel roads experience no where near this level of dirt ingestion. My ag equipment filters have pre filters and secondary filters. It is one thing working in a continual cloud of dust. You get that occasionally for a few seconds after going by another vehicle on gravel roads, but not continual multiple hours of heavy dust environment with a road vehicle. Maybe off road in construction sites and farm ground, but that is not the issue addressed by the OP.

My PCV is needing replaced which I am sure is causing some negative effects.. I plan on getting that replaced this fall as well as my valve cover gasket. Typical 4.0 issue..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back