Realistic Life Span of Today's Roofing Shingles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another roofing thread/question
smile.gif
. Getting some roof quotes and I find myself coming back to this question.

Assuming everything else is proper / not causing the newly installed shingles to age prematurely, what's the real world expected life of an arcitrectural shingle installed today (talking Timberline HD or the comperable IKO shingle).

I know, lot's of variablies that could cause premature wear but assuming everything is done correctly, are these really going to last 50+ years like GAFs Material Defect Coverage would lead one to believe or are they going to age out well before that, and if so, what's a realistic life?

Located in lower NY, 80 to 90 degrees F in the summer, very "easy" roof.

As a real estate broker I see lots of roofs. I'd say that on a 3 tab you could get 20-25, but a bad installation job or a bad lot could see them last only 15-20 years. Therefore I'd say an architectural could last 30 years or more. I actually haven't seen too many architectural shingle roofs that are shot, mostly 3 tabs if they're shot as they haven't really been out that long. However it's possible that they could last 40-50 years. It's just that if you read the warranty, it only transfers twice from GAF. The original owner gets the lifetime warranty and I think it's full replacement up to 50 years. If you sell the house within 20 years, it transfers to the new owner, after 20 years, the new owner only gets 2 years. Most people move every 7-10 years so they're counting on not too many people being around to collect on the warranty. I think there were some old shingles like T-locks which aren't made anymore which have lasted 40-50 years so it's possible that the architectural shingle could really last 50 years or more.

It also depends on weather conditions and if you get a bad hail storm or severe wind, etc. Where I live people have to worry about bad hail storms. One bad hail storm and the shingles have to be replaced, regardless if they are one year old or twenty years old.

We live in very different climates. You get really, really cold with weather down in the single digits I guess. Here people think 80° is a cold front. Shingle temps in the Summer can exceed 140°F.

So the standard engineers answer is: It depends.

With that said, I had cheap 3-tabs go 33 years with no leaks. They were worn out no doubt. During that time I had a handfull of hail; maybe 1/4" max. No marbles or golfballs thank God. The West facing side took a real beating due to the Sun. The shingles I installed a few years back should outlast me.

Keep in mind that in order to be eligible for the full warranty coverage, you need to vent the attic as prescribed in the manual. This often means installing ridge venting or attic fans. We put a ridge vent on ours when we replaced our roof a few years ago. They are arch. shingles...Landmark if I recall correctly. I think they are made by St. Gobain. Lifetime warranty to the original owner.

Winter temp is 0 - 10 F at it's coldest - probably should have mentioned that before.

As for venting - ridge vent here is a given. Cobra Exhaust / Mesh is a given, one place so far has upsold to Cobra Snow Country. Ironically, the actic fans (humidity control fans IIRC) seem pretty split on advice. One GAF certified (Master Elites) have said that sometimes they create issues with the warranty when inspected by GAF. Very little upsell on the fans other than 1 place, with a couple of GAF contractors mixed in to that sample as well.

My uncle just replaced the OE roof on his house, built in '97. (Local builder built this house for my grandparents, then did a property swap. He got 1/2 acre of what has become prime commercial real estate, they got a brand new house and appliances in their 70's. For "free")

I believe it was a 20yr shingle, at 17yrs it started loosing a lot of gravel.

The valleys are the high wear area when it comes to a roof so if the installer is going with a closed valley the roof will lose at least 10 years off the advertised years the manufacturer claims.
Using an open valley,which instead of weaving a shingle over and lapping to the other side of the roof a metal flashing is used instead which never wears out,which eliminates the issue altogether.
A closed valley is cheaper up front but costs more in the long run because the roof will fail sooner.
For a few dollars more you can eliminate the issue.
And roof venting is the most important consideration when it comes to a house,next to the engineering of course.
The attic space has to be the same temp as ambient outside,or moisture problems will ensue.
I personally prefer a ridge type vent,because it's cheap,works great and is invisible,which in my eye is more appealing.
Soffit venting is just as important as the roof vents,otherwise there no convection and the attic air becomes stagnant and will become warm in short order,which then presents mould,rot and humidity issues.

My guess on 50 years is the same everyday temperature with no winter or summer. Eg like Ecador where it seems to be the same temp everyday.

It depends on wind, water/snow/ice and temperature extremes.

When we built our home we used 50 year shingles. I'd have to dig out the paperwork to see what brand they were.

It's been nearly 20 years and the shingles still look new. 20 years of wind, rain, ice, snow, hail and temperatures from -20 to 100. I was on the roof this summer to look at them and check the gutters.

I have no doubt that they'll last close to or more than 50 years.

My local hardware store is a mom-and-pop place and has a total of three employees. (Well, really only one during hunting season) He will tell you up front that they MIGHT last half of about what they are rated for, especially since the temps here may be -20F to 110F and lots of hail.
The next time I have to replace shingles on my house, it will be steel, probably the type that looks like asphalt shingles.

Around 20-30 years, considerably less if they are installed improperly which many shingles are. For three tabs figure 10-20, although I have seen them shot in as little as 5.

The longest lasting roofing material is slate, also the most expensive.

If you want your roof to last you need to make sure the roofers properly nail the shingles, and you really want them to use 1 1/2 roofing nails. If you live in a windy area to get the wind rating you need to six nail them. If your installer doesn't the manufacture will void the warranty.

A lot of roofers are hacks, nail to high, use as few 1 1/4 nails as possible and overdrive them. So your picking up shingles in your yard 10 years down the road and the roof is shot.

Last edited:
I reroofed my garage - again, myself - 22 years ago. Back then I opted for 25-yr three tab shingles, instead of the 20-yr shingles. Still looking good.

Like hattaresguy said, it depends on the style of roof, how it's designed, the installation of the shingles and what might be dangling above the roof.

I would say on average in my climate, a 30yr shingle might last 20yrs and a 40, maybe 30yrs.

A safe bet is 1/2 to 2/3rds of the rated lifetime. If everything lines up - a perfect install (including attic ventilation), and the weather doesn't throw some curveball at it, closer to the design life.

The reality here is that hailstorm or straightline winds are more likely to get it before it makes it that far... I wish you luck here if you believe you will make it 50 years without having a bad hailstorm or windstorm here at some point...

The flip side, without the weather, I've seen 3 tab roofs up north, where the winters are colder, but the summers not quite as hot, last 35+ years with no issues, despite the rating being 20 years.

Any opinion on durability of metal roofs? The roof on my house is due to be redone in the next few years. I'd gladly spend more for a better product. My inkling is that the gasketed nails would be the weak point, not the roof itself.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Any opinion on durability of metal roofs? The roof on my house is due to be redone in the next few years. I'd gladly spend more for a better product. My inkling is that the gasketed nails would be the weak point, not the roof itself.

Screws are what's used here. But I suppose the rubber must go at some time, but I suppose replacing those would be simple enough.
If you've got a simple, flat, semi steep roof, steel is great, but if you have 4/12 slope and lots of valleys, I hear that you can get ice damming.
Also snow and ice can build up on a low slope roof and then slide off at once, taking eves troughs, chimneys or vents with it, and then smashing your shrubs flat...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back