Thoughts on using OEM alloys in the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
No issues with using my stock 17" port-installed alloy wheels for the past 6 winter seasons (since I normally run 18" wheels during the non-snow months)

TPMS is only mandated on (iirc) model years 2008 and newer.

some bmw's (as well as other brands) use the ABS system to estimate tire pressure via the wheel speed sensor.

I would try it without the TPMS installed. I doubt it will affect the stability control or TC functioning. Seems silly to disable all the safety functions if one of the TPMS fails for some reason...

Keep an eye on Calgary kijiji, you'll find lots of BMW wheels on there. http://www.kijiji.ca/b-tires-rims/calgary/bmw/17+inch+tires__18+inch+tires/k0c320l1700199a25

Do some research into what your backspacing is for your wheels, and find out what other models of BMW wheels will fit your car. You should be able to find a used set of alloys for about the same price as steel wheels, and be able to save money, by not swapping the tires every spring and fall.

I'd also recommend stepping down to the 17" wheels. The increased sidewall will help to prevent rim damage that can occur with all the potholes we have up here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

some bmw's (as well as other brands) use the ABS system to estimate tire pressure via the wheel speed sensor.

Could you let me know how you know this? any link?

I was just wondering if my BMW can deal with two sets of TPMS, therefore my search of this old thread.

From what you are saying, it will have no problem.

I would be interested in reading some tech papers on that, thanks.

Originally Posted By: Pesca
Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

Could you let me know how you know this? any link?

One way to check is via TireRack.com When you go to buy aftermarket rims from them, they'll tell you whether you need to buy TPMS sensors or not. If not, it means the system is purely ABS-based, like in my BMW, and in my wife's Q5.

But for your 2009 3-series, it looks like TPMS sensors are required, at least in the US. Not sure if Canada is any different.

The WRG3s are an excellent choice. I ran them on a C240, but got lazy after
the 2nd winter, left them on all summer.
They became my summer tires after that on their own wheels.

10,000 Km is not very much driving. Perhaps stick with the stock 18 inch
wheels and TPS.
When spring comes look at some nice 19s or 20s for the summer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: bigjl

You are a bit of a duck aren't you.

Oops silly me must have hit the wrong key.

I see what you did there
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back