My last L14610 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
As always, no tears...just nice straight pleats. I run oil and filters for 3,000 miles on our Acura, due to short-tripping to the kids' elementary school and back. The two photos show both ends of the metal crimp, which is where the tears seem to develop on those filters that experience them.

The MDX has a PL14610 on it now, and I have three more of them after this. I'll post pictures of each one cut open as I run through them.

l14610-09132014-1.JPG

l14610-09132014-2.JPG

I got about 18 of these filters from AAP sale / rebate.

I use this filter but do multiple OCI's but have never cut open a PureOne filter yet, maybe in the future after 2 years of use.

Thanks for cutting and posting pics. I used these exact models (L14610) on my Fit. Fit has since moved to a PureOne now that I'm at a 9k mi OCI.

Just went 7500 miles on a Purolator Classic in my Taurus. Still have it lying around but haven't cut it open. Since my UOA was fine I don't really see the point. Maybe just to bug the Purohaters here...? Ha ha.

Quiz Question - Tell me what's different about the configuration of the pleats on this Purolator. If you can see the difference, then you'll know why the media on this one didn't tear.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Quiz Question - Tell me what's different about the configuration of the pleats on this Purolator. If you can see the difference, then you'll know why the media on this one didn't tear.

the pleats are modestly more evenly spaced?

Another excellent P1 result, been more recently. And another one that purohaters, dedicated and otherwise, won't be thrilled with. Oh well. Good of you to post pics of the seam pleat area from both ends for the haters to observe.

Now just need to make sure all the Fram fiber offerings always show both views the endcaps with the adbv and leaf spring/bypass removed to check for uncovered centertubes, lack of impressions and gaps like edhackett so astutely identified and OVERKILL confirmed with multiple illustrative pics which are undisputed as bypass areas.

Thanks for posting pics.

Originally Posted By: jrustles

Not really ... the two pleats that can tear on each side of the seam are still spaced pretty wide. There is something else about the pleats in those photos that can strongly factor into if the pleats are suitable to tearing or not.

Looks good. These are rated for 3000 miles, so if you are doing >3000 miles you should be fine. Keep doing what your doing.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I got about 18 of these filters from AAP sale / rebate.

I use this filter but do multiple OCI's but have never cut open a PureOne filter yet, maybe in the future after 2 years of use.

So how many years will it be before you get through these 18 filters? I don't think its wise to keep filters too long especially those with non synthetic media.

Originally Posted By: JBinTX30
Looks good, just as it should. What was the date of code on the top of of the canister?

Yes that would be interesting to know.

I would also say that the OP could run that filter longer.

Is it the metal crimp?

Originally Posted By: jrustles

Not really ... the two pleats that can tear on each side of the seam are still spaced pretty wide. There is something else about the pleats in those photos that can strongly factor into if the pleats are suitable to tearing or not.

The pleats are tight not a big V.

Originally Posted By: jmb106
The pleats are tight not a big V.

Winner!

Here's one that tore that has a noticeable wide V-spread on the pleat. Every instance that has been posted here showing a media tear has shown a wide V-spread on the torn pleats. Wide V-spread causes higher side force on the pleat, and the fact that the media in Purolators seems pretty brittle and tear easily makes for a bad combination.

DSCF7137a.jpg

Yeah my 8.7k mile FL820S had wide pleats and brittle media.

Other FL820S that went up to 15k miles were reported to be not brittle and didn't appear to have wide pleats.

Do you think that the media is the issue or the wide pleats or both?

I thought I read something about a media quality batch concern. And I think some wide pleated filters haven't torn.

I had a Pure-1 tear around 5k miles as well. I have a Wix that has been in service since Jan that replaced it. It will be removed this week. Not at all worried about the Wix, but I wouldn't trust a purolator on anything I cared about.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
These are rated for 3000 miles...

I don't think this is accurate. The only mileage reference made by Purolator, that I'm aware of, is the "10,000 mile protection" offered by its Synthetic filter line. Purolator does recommend that owner change their oil and oil filter every 3 months or 3,000 miles, or as recommended in the owner's manual:

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/resources/Pages/FAQs.aspx

It's really not that dissimilar from Valvoline's 3,000 mile oil change recommendation, "or as recommended in the owner's manual". It's not a statement on the suitability of their product to support longer intervals, but it's a safe baseline recommendation that can be made in the absence of other supporting information.

If purolaters are only rated for 3k miles then they are an inferior product not suited to a modern engine. I thought puro said to follow the manufactures recommended oci, not jiffy lubes. If they spec a filter for an engine, it should last the duration of the manufacturers recommendations. I followed the GM oci on mine and the pure 1 still ripped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back