Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Opinions on using this? I have a 2014 f-150 ecoboost I am about to change oils to M1 advanced fuel economy synthetic 0 W30. I have always used the regular stabilizer in my wife's car with conventional oils.

While it probably does no harm, I doubt it's doing you any good. Every modern oil already has a highly-engineered additive pack to give you all the protection you need, unless you're operating in unusual circumstances. M1 AFE is an excellent oil that needs no help.

Modern oils don't need any additives.

I use the weight of oil recommended on the engine oil cap and owners manual.

Save your money and leave any oil additives on the shelf.

Lucas serves to dilute the important addatives in the oil. Skip it in both your truck and wife's car.

Lucas products are universally despised here. I personally think they have their uses. If I were going to use it in a newer car, I'd use a half-quart of the synthetic stabilizer.

Why would you mix a Lucas product with good engine oil, conventional or synthetic? Trust the engine oil to do its job without any outside interference.

Nothing wrong with Lucas honey. Will add visc and make oil more tacky/sticky. Might need that with turbo DI fuel dilution in Texas mild climate.

Substituting a couple quarts of 0w40 would give you the visc too.

The term modern oils is meaningless. Modern oil from yesterday is obsolete tomorrow.

Used to use Lucas stabilizer in my OTR diesel trucks and MB Turbo Turbo diesel with dino oils.

Since I transitioned to synthetics twenty years ago, felt there was no need for any more Lucas.

Have had no oil or other related engine problems during the time with or after Lucas.

Use it if you prefer.

I personally don't like Lucas products that much. I have no empirical data to support that statement just a personal preference. If I was going to use an additive I would look at MoS2 or Ceratec from Liqui Moly.

That being said, run it if you want to and see what happens. You have a positive history with Lucas and your wife's car.

Lucas does no real immediate harm (other than your wallet), it does nothing good for the engine or oil. So, I would skip it. Since it is a 2014 and likely under warranty, you are giving Ford a way out if there is an issue and they can trace it back to adding a non-recommended item.

My questions is this: what is it stabilizing?

To do what exactly?

Originally Posted By: Stelth
Lucas products are universally despised here. I personally think they have their uses. If I were going to use it in a newer car, I'd use a half-quart of the synthetic stabilizer.

Why is a more tacky/sticky oil beneficial?

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Nothing wrong with Lucas honey. Will add visc and make oil more tacky/sticky. Might need that with turbo DI fuel dilution in Texas mild climate.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Why is a more tacky/sticky oil beneficial?

Lucas is great for converting other oils into Bar and Chain oil! The tackiness helps it to stick to the chain during high speed use
thumbsup2.gif

Conclusion: Lucas is great for chainsaws

Directions:

1. Select a quality, approved motor oil for your vehicle.

2. Research said oil and attempt to find deficiencies that need a solution.

3. Research Lucas "stabilizer" and find how the chemical makeup will resolve said deficiencies.

4. Upon failure of steps 2 and 3, return to Step 1, perform oil change with approved filter, and be done with it.

5. Perform UOA testing at regular intervals to watch out for "stability issues".

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc

This is a very old product, a typical polymer thickener that's been around since WW2. The product assumes the cheap multigrade oil you're running has sheared so much that this product will "stabilize" the viscosity to what it was when the oil was new.

Adding a full can if this stuff to M1 AFE 0W-30 will boost the viscosity into the 40 grade if not 50 grade range while loosing it's 0W rating.
This product should not be used in a new modern engine.

Simple rule for oil additives intended to "improve" oil...If you want better oil, buy better oil.

The oil companies' chemists will produce a better product than any of us can stir up in a home brew. We can debate over which oil is best--and what best means--but Mobil 1 is certainly among the top.

Use the Mobil 1 and sleep well at night. Your engine will have no oil related problems.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: FutureDoc

This is a very old product, a typical polymer thickener that's been around since WW2. The product assumes the cheap multigrade oil you're running has sheared so much that this product will "stabilize" the viscosity to what it was when the oil was new.

Adding a full can if this stuff to M1 AFE 0W-30 will boost the viscosity into the 40 grade if not 50 grade range while loosing it's 0W rating.
This product should not be used in a new modern engine.

That is an eye opener thank you!

The term modern oils is meaningless. Modern oil from yesterday is obsolete tomorrow.

And Lucas Oil Stabilizer has been obsolete from its inception.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back