Best low cost air compressor for home use ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ Those are hawt.

OP, do you need small and portable or just cheap? Because you can get a "real" compressor at a yard sale/ pawn shop etc.

The 2 hp oiled style is pretty universal, and is the most air you can get from a 110 socket.

Harbor Freight has the pancake on sale right now for the grand price of $50 bucks. Not the greatest but hey for just pumping up tires???????

Why do I always forget pawn shops, great place for savings& quality.

Last edited:
Think ahead before you buy. Will you be just "filling up tires" or will you want an impact wrench to take off lug nuts to rotate tires? Will you be tempted to buy other air tools like a powered socket wrench, grinder or air chisel? If you think you might gravitate into these, it may be better to buy a larger system with a belt driven compressor at this point. I am not saying you should do this but I am saying you need to think about where you might go with air tools down the road before making a purchase.

If all you want is something handy to fill car tires, I'd just get the HF pancake compressor that was previously mentioned. Have seen it as cheap as $39. with a coupon.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: JTK
Like Tdbo said, in regards to HFT compressors, I've seen the little red pancake 3gal, 1/3hp for as little as $39 on sale. http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/a...ssor-61615.html

To be able to pump car tires, do you also have to buy some kind of a hose/attachment? Or is everything already included?

No, you'll need a hose and tire chuck. Like said above, I think you can get an accessory kit with a hose, chuck, blow gun and quick release fittings for cheap.

I have a 'Tankless' Compressor.
It's good for filling tires and blowing stuff off (cleaning) before painting.

It's cheaply made & noisy, but effective.
Made by Air America (China)
Bought: 2008
Price $120.00

Perhaps a 'tankless' would be the way for OP to go.
Question: Can anyone recommend a good quality 'tankless' compressor ? ? ?

not sure why you would want tankless except the extreme portability of it.

and I find a 3 gal pancake plenty portable and light.

Whats your budget?

there is cheap stuff around 50$ faster around 100$

great around 200$

I had the 3gal hf hotdog compressor.. Bought it for 39$
sold it for 35$ 2 years later when I upgraded to a
6gal. with 4x the cfm. and 150psi.. clearance at 90$

Then there is the whole oil vs oil-less debate.

Basically oil-less is more durable.

I went oil-less because I also use mine for dusting out registers and computers... and my duty cycle is very low.

Technically less maintenance also on the oil-less but that wasnt really a feature to me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
^ Those are hawt.

OP, do you need small and portable or just cheap? Because you can get a "real" compressor at a yard sale/ pawn shop etc.

The 2 hp oiled style is pretty universal, and is the most air you can get from a 110 socket.

I need it for filling tires and now for air gun when rotating tires / remove lug nuts.

Max budget $200

You can use a simple air compressor without a tank designed for only filling tires. I have been using one for 20 years. I have a large and a portable compressor also. But this is easy and light.

I would however get a 120V one rather than 12V.

Mine is a Black and Decker.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
^ Those are hawt.

I need it for filling tires and now for air gun when rotating tires / remove lug nuts.

Max budget $200
The Makita will run the impact okay for this type of use, it had good recovery time for what it is. A pancake might not make it.
Whatever you buy stay clear of oil less, they have the durability of a wet noodle.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
^ Those are hawt.

Max budget $200

Get a cordless impact wrench. I have a Milwaukee M18 Fuel High Torque and it is more powerful than most pneumatic ones.

You need a decent size and price compressor to supply enough air (volume and pressure) to get the 5 or more lugs nuts off one wheel.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back