Changed the cabin air filter in the Accord [PICS]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I just put a Fram Fresh Breeze in my Acura this week. The AC performance increased, not decreased. The old filter only had 30K miles on it and was not clogged up at all.

Good to hear! What brand of filter came off?

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: Roob

In the long run it can shorten their life.
The higher restriction in airflow will cause your fan, ac compressor to work harder when using them. It can also cause an increase in gas consumption than normal when using the ac, as the compressor will be working harder due to the increased restriction of airflow.
I tried one a while ago and when my Ex Honda master mechanic saw it he almost threw it at me...
It made a big enough difference in my car anyways, but I'm pretty particular...(bad cabin air filter related joke)

Biggest crock of swill I've ever heard. Aftermarket cabin filters are OK, and the Fram Fresh Breeze is fine.

Doubt it.
Not all aftermarket items are good, some are carp. In this case, the fram fresh breeze is a nice product, but it's built like a brick. The filtering element is like dense cardboard compared to the Denso OEM that is made of high flow paper.
Quite a few reviews online about the fram fresh breeze causing a less than stellar performance in air flow, but it smells nice.
Anyhoo, I listen to professionals like the master tech Honda mechanic, I'd be stupid not to. It makes sense and after switching back I did notice a difference, but I'm very particular with my car. Some will notice and some won't.
In my experience the fram wasn't as good and seeing as the OP has the same car, different year, I thought to notify him of my experience. Hopefully it aids him and gave you something to chortle at.

I dont notice a difference, and I am pretty particular. Did your master tech actually tell you it would damage parts? Or did he just say it would impede flow of air? Really, I would like to know.

As I said, some will notice and some won't.
The tech said that long term use of the Fram fresh breeze filter "could" damage the ac compressor.
This is due to the added air flow restriction over the OEM that could cause the compressor/system to work harder. The system on my car is designed to work at its most efficient using the OEM high flow paper element cabin filter, deviating from that can have unintended consequences like impeded airflow.
Makes sense when you visually inspect each filter for comparison. Seeing as ac parts are not cheap and I had noticed more noise and a drop in airflow with the Fram all around, especially when on ac and recirculate, I've decided to take the advice.
With the OEM filter and using ac either on/off recirculate, I get a stronger/quieter airflow that is definitely noticeable.
I figure that when you have a professional who happens to be an expert on your make of car, give you advice, you should listen... However not everyone does and I don't expect everyone to, its just my experience and ymmv.
Hope that answers it for you.

The tech said that long term use of the Fram fresh breeze filter "could" damage the ac compressor.
This is due to the added air flow restriction over the OEM that could cause the compressor/system to work harder. The system on my car is designed to work at its most efficient using the OEM high flow paper element cabin filter, deviating from that can have unintended consequences like impeded airflow.

I think your tech is doing what a lot of techs do, which is talk a lot of non-sense and self bloviate so they sound important and knowledgeable.

The compressor could care less about air flow through your car. You could COMPLETELY block off the airflow with a block of some sort and the compressor would merrily chug along for the rest of its expected lifetime.

I'm using 3M Filtrete Filter 1900 (MPR) cut to fit since 04/28/2013 and approx 10k miles. I haven't check to see how dirty it is yet.
No issue that I can see, hear from my car. I don't use any technician for any repair.....

I think your tech is doing what a lot of techs do, which is talk a lot of non-sense and self bloviate so they sound important and knowledgeable.

The compressor could care less about air flow through your car. You could COMPLETELY block off the airflow with a block of some sort and the compressor would merrily chug along for the rest of its expected lifetime.

You mean like what your pretty much doing?
You have yourself a nice day now.....

Oooh, I wanna play now!

From looking at the pics, the Fram appears to have deeper media and may in fact be able to hold more dirt before becoming as restricted as an OEM filter, therefore providing LESS resistance over time.

Its all BeeEss until someone flow-benches used cabin air filters, which is a pretty worthless time investment. I don't see how any brand's filter will cause your a/c or blower to fail. That is truly a horse-puckey statement.

The truth hurts sometimes.

Originally Posted By: surfstar

Oooh, I wanna play now!

From looking at the pics, the Fram appears to have deeper media and may in fact be able to hold more dirt before becoming as restricted as an OEM filter, therefore providing LESS resistance over time.

Its all BeeEss until someone flow-benches used cabin air filters, which is a pretty worthless time investment. I don't see how any brand's filter will cause your a/c or blower to fail. That is truly a horse-puckey statement.

Material on the fram is like dense cardboard compared to the high flow paper of the OEM, that was one clue that they might not be equal in flow. The other clue was that after installing the fram the system wasn't performing the same.
An OEM filter corrected the issue my system was having, that's not beeEss.
As far as ac damage occurring I'll never know, thankfully, but I couldn't care less if people disagree with him and neither does he....
Now it's back to dead island.........

The truth hurts sometimes.

LOL!! You do seem to be your own biggest fan....

Originally Posted By: Tundragod
I'm using 3M Filtrete Filter 1900 (MPR) cut to fit since 04/28/2013 and approx 10k miles. I haven't check to see how dirty it is yet.
No issue that I can see, hear from my car. I don't use any technician for any repair.....

Good idea.

Cabin filter isn't importance at all, especially when someone drive a car with open window or sunroof sometimes. Also, before 1990 there wasn't many vehicles had cabin filter and no one died because of missing cabin filter.

On the other hand, I appreciate that a cabin air filter can reduce particles in the air when windows are closed, and help keep the AC evaporator cleaner.

Stick with OEM in regards to the cabin filter, Fram Fresh breeze aren't exactly airflow friendly....

+1. I added filters to the Rainier* and the first one was a Fram. I recently put in a Mann and there is much more airflow.

* GM had filters in the Silverado which shares the ventilation system with the Rainier/Trailblazer etc. but deleted it in later years. Retrofit is easy, and beneficial.

Ok so I am wondering if the filter on an automatic system could be harder on the compressor....that does make sense to me. If air flow is obstructed, for any reason, the system would run more to try to achieve the set temp....correct?

Originally Posted By: Rand
I've seen much worse.. that one could have been shop-vac'ed or banged out and probably reused abit.

it all depends on the cost of replacement.
If its under 20$ might as well replace it

my subaru cabin filter costs 30-40$ even for aftermarkets.. no way I'm changing that every 8 months(as OM specifies)

I take it out twice a year and gently shop vac it. usually its not too bad... replacement every couple years.

I can't find an aftermarket filter for your Forester for more than $16! I am not sure where you are purchasing from, but you should check out www.rockauto.com

Whatever you decide to use, make sure it has activated charcoal. That will make SUCH a difference in the smells that enter your vehicle. I added an aftermarket air filtration system to my Ram, but I didn't really notice a difference until I went with the charcoal filters. None of the diesel smell makes it in, or any other smells for that matter. When I go to my friend's ranch, I don't even smell the pigpen until I open the door.

Just wanted to chime in here. I have an '02 Accord and changed my cabin filters (there are two separate ones) yesterday. Old ones looked possibly original, were Genuine Honda, and were absolutely filthy. I replaced them with Fram Fresh Breeze that I bought at Walmart for about 23 dollars.

The HVAC system blows a lot harder now and the air does indeed smell cleaner. It doesn't really smell like anything actually, it just smells like pure air and not must or mildew or dust. It's only been a day but usually most days I can smell a car in front of me with a bad cat or a diesel truck, and today I didn't smell anything at all.

These anti-Fram comments are utter and complete nonsense. I (GASP) changed my engine air filter with a new Fram unit as well.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Activated carbon is so much better than a standard filter.

For the record my factory Honda filters did not have activated carbon while obviously the Fram replacements do. So far I like it and am happy with my choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back