MMT to raise octane

Status
Not open for further replies.
More for the chemists in the group.............

After launching an excellent fuel system/combustion chamber cleaning additive, I'm addressing the needs of this (Bolivian) market for Octane.

Our current gasoline is 85 RON (between 75 and 80 MON), with 95 RON available in a few big cities. Obviously not what today's cars are designed to run on.

I'm looking at MMT as the possible solution. I figure I can raise it about 2 RON (not real significant, but something) by taking the MMT level up from 0.18 grams/liter to the US limit of 8.3 grams per liter, as permitted by the EPA.

There seem to be a lot of other benefits from MMT, and most studies indicating no harmful effects to converters at the 8.3 gram level, plus serious reduction in valve recession in pre-1975 cars, especially at levels 4 times that.

But some of the car manufacturers (ie: Jeep) specifically say to to look for gasoline without MMT. And some countries have reduced limits.

We desperately need something.

Comments please.....

You can't get something like toluene from a hardware/ paint store? What about leaded gas from an airport?

Personally I mix Aviation gas at about 28% for my BMW, but it has to be bought on the black market, and is not a commercial solution.
I'm looking for something to add to my other selective additive products, like the one I just launched.

Combustion_Power_American-Widman-International.jpg

I think you are on the right track looking at MMT as an additive to boost octane, since it should give you a relatively high increase in octane at a relatively low concentration.

One potential problem is that MMT has a relatively high freezing/melting point (-1°C / 30°F), so you might want to blend it with another substance to prevent the additive bottles from freezing during the colder months. Toluene or Xylene would be a good carrier. I'd try mixing it at 50/50 and put it through a few temperature cycles to make sure there is no separation.

BTW, thank you for the online viscosity calculator! I have used it many, many times.

Quote:
BTW, thank you for the online viscosity calculator! I have used it many, many times.

You are welcome.

Quote:
You'd probably want to know if the base fuel already contains MMT.

Actual fuel has 0.18 grams per liter.

I'm looking at a product already blended in San Diego.

Quote:
The race gas wont work for your needs?

I read through the literature they publish on line (can't find an MSDS) and written to them for more information.

It does appear to be an MMT based product from what they have on line.

Most fuel additive companies with octane boosters are using the Afton HiTec 3000 MMT.

I would contact Afton and see about purchasing commercial quantities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back