Argh - trailer wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am rewiring the lights on a 12K GVW flatbed trailer.

The former owner used many Scotch lock wiring connectors. I hate those with a passion. In some cases just to splice 2 wires together, not to tap off a wire without a splice. Most are not working.

They ran the 3 conductor colored wire down the left side, screwed the white wire from the oval light to the frame for ground, then connected the yellow of the 3 wire going to the right side to the white wire going to ground, and used the yellow as a ground connector on the right side.

So my issue is for combo tail/brake/turn they have standard oval lights that push into a grommet. Sounds easy enough to replace with working LED. But the lights fit into shallow boxes welded to the outside of the frame. The standard connector for these two lights is hitting the back of these shallow boxes. The connector is pushed all the way on.

I sloshed some CarWell inside the shallow boxes as they might get water inside and rust. So there is plenty lubricant for the grommet and light to allow it to be pushed in.

sounds like a PITA.

only advise I have is if you get frustrated walk away for awhile or even until the next day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back