best floormats/liners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2015 subaru forester

I specifically didnt get the subpar subaru all weather mats.

I was looking at weathertech and they seem the best, but they have bad coverage at the foot rest and behind the gas pedal. cost $197

The husky have a lifetime guarantee vs 3 years for weathertech.. and extended coverage/deeper "pan" for the sludge of winter. Some people say they look "cheaper and plastic-y" They are also cheaper@ 165$

Also open to other options. I really want something that doesnt dump the salty sludge on the carpet when turning. I try to dry them out daily with a towel but sometimes the snow melts off the boots then runs off onto the carpet in the same trip.

suggestions? opinions?

Last edited:
I used to be a diehard WeatherTech fan. Owned them in several cars for a few years. The reason it was only "a few years" is that was all it took before they started curling up and losing their shape. I was very disappointed. For the amount of money paid, there is no excuse for them to start losing their shape after only a couple of years. This happened in a couple of different cars. Honestly, I think they are so expensive just so they can cover all advertising they do in the car mags. It really is a bit ridiculous.

So, being thoroughly disgusted, I decided to give the Husky Liners a try. They had good reviews, appeared very similar to the WeatherTech's, and were significantly cheaper. I'm now going on a couple of years with them in two different cars, and so far so good.

I highly recommend the Husky Liners. They are NOT cheap, other than the price (relatively speaking, of course). I am done with WeatherTech, and now a Husky Liner fan.

I have the Huskys on my Subaru, and purchased the WeatherTech liners for a 2013 Elantra.

I much preferred the fit and finish of the WeatherTech. For about the same price, they were made better and were less slippery.

Originally Posted By: ZiTS
I used to be a diehard WeatherTech fan. Owned them in several cars for a few years. The reason it was only "a few years" is that was all it took before they started curling up and losing their shape. I was very disappointed. For the amount of money paid, there is no excuse for them to start losing their shape after only a couple of years. This happened in a couple of different cars. Honestly, I think they are so expensive just so they can cover all advertising they do in the car mags. It really is a bit ridiculous.

So, being thoroughly disgusted, I decided to give the Husky Liners a try. They had good reviews, appeared very similar to the WeatherTech's, and were significantly cheaper. I'm now going on a couple of years with them in two different cars, and so far so good.

I highly recommend the Husky Liners. They are NOT cheap, other than the price (relatively speaking, of course). I am done with WeatherTech, and now a Husky Liner fan.

I had Husky for years. Great liner and I liked them a lot. Only ones I've found better are the WeatherTech. The Husky will last and last and last. The Weather Tech will also. We have Weather Tech in all of our police cars. None have curled or been destroyed....they and mil spec computers are about all I've ever known to be cop proof. Husky would stand up just as well I'm sure.

I have weathertech in everything i own in my sig.. Its the first purchase i make for every new auto i get... then i get the weather tech window vents.

I should also mention, my carpet still looks brand new in ALL three of my auto's, i usually pull the floor liners twice a year for a good scrubbing.. I have two young kids that test my liners daily. The oldest pair i have are in the 06 Silverado, I have had that set since 2008. no curling, cracking, or problems of any kind.. choose what you like, im sticking with whats been proven to work well in my applications.

Last edited:
I've been very happy with fit and finish of Lexus & Mercedes OEM rubber mats.

Do weathertech offer something more for the same / higher price?

Originally Posted By: Apollo14

they are a "digital fit floor liner" so they fit perfect, never slide around. They have pretty high raised edges so when you track into you car the dirt/mud/slush/snow.. whatever gets stuck. do a bit of online research for pictures. They are not a simple flat rubber matt, they are a fairly stiff hard polymer that cover the entire floor creating a pretty hard to beat barrior between your carpet and all the nasty.. when you pull them for cleaning simple soap and water and a plastic brush and in no-time they look new again.

I want to see pictures of your liners for the R1 and Ranger.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
I have weathertech in everything i own in my sig..

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
Originally Posted By: Apollo14

they are a "digital fit floor liner" so they fit perfect, never slide around. They have pretty high raised edges so when you track into you car the dirt/mud/slush/snow.. whatever gets stuck. do a bit of online research for pictures. They are not a simple flat rubber matt, they are a fairly stiff hard polymer that cover the entire floor creating a pretty hard to beat barrior between your carpet and all the nasty.. when you pull them for cleaning simple soap and water and a plastic brush and in no-time they look new again.

Yeah the OEM ones are like that too ie not flat. But the raised edges might be a design improvement by the aftermarket.

I have Plastic/Rubber flooring (Not Carpeting) in my Ranger.

I can't recommend any after market matts.
But what works for me is:

When I get home:
1) I park in the Garage.
2) Pull Floor Matt out and hang up to drip dry.
3) Open the Drivers Window several inches so any moisture in vehicle can evaporate.

The next day, put the Floor Matt back in and everything is dry.

Originally Posted By: ZiTS
I used to be a diehard WeatherTech fan. Owned them in several cars for a few years. The reason it was only "a few years" is that was all it took before they started curling up and losing their shape.

I've only had my WTs for a year, but I am not that impressed. They haven't curled, but they seem very thin and brittle. When my boy and I remove them to dump the dirt off, I am always worried that we're going to crimp and break them, especially when it is cold.

It was a lot of money for what I got.

My Weathertech Digital Fit floor liners arrived in the mail the day after I picked up my Tacoma. They fit perfectly, stay in place, and protect great

I had some of the generic deep ridge mats in my Cherokee previously and you could see the outlines of the mat in the carpet.

My Weathertech floor mats fit perfectly and have lasted through 12 years of snow, salt, sand and rough use. They might cost a bit more, but they're worth it, they're great liners.

Last edited:
I bought Weathertech when I bought my '12 new.

They appear to be wearing fine, although IMO they could have been designed to fit better, especially around the floor mounted trunk/gas cap release so dirt doesn't get under the liner.

So far so good. I'd probably buy them again.

I've got 3 rows of Husky Liners and a used Weathertech in the rear of our 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan.

The Huskys seem thinner, but like said above, the edges of Weatertech in the hatch area are curling inward.

The Huskys fit factory perfect. We'll see how they hold up to the beating they get in my minivan.

Seeing Toyota owns a part of Subaru. I feel Subaru is following Toyota's lead and installing floor mats that don't cover anything around the gas pedal. If you live in a wintery climate, your carpet will get destroyed! My ex bought a 2012 Impreza and she bought the OEM winter mats. They cover the same surface as the carpet mats and her heel put a hole into the mat in less then six months. I bought her the Weathertechs and they fit great.

I've got the Husky liners in my '13 Outback, and I'm fairly satisfied with them. I've never owned a set of Weathertech, so I can't speak as to those. But I will say that the Subaru OEM All Weather floor liners do have a couple advantages over the Husky liners. Here is my observations.

The Subaru mats are by far the most attractive. But they offer the least coverage. However, one real advantage to the Subaru mats is the very deep channels. This allows for drainage of water and melted snow down in the bottom of these channels, keeping it away from your shoes and pant legs. I didn't realize how important thaw was until I installed the Husky liners.

The Husky mats offer fantastic coverage - somewhat. While they cover the largest area, and are made to be an exact fit, they do not exactly lay where they are supposed to. At least mine don't. The outside rim tends to lean inboard, away from the carpet. Thus, a lot of dirt falls down in the space between the carpet and the liner. This really irritates me, and it looks trashy. I've thought of taking a heat gun to my Husky liners and see if I can form them better. But I don't want to ruin them.

I don't like how thin the Husky mats are. I'm not quite sure how, but my wife pushes the passenger mat forward. This makes the mat bend in the corners. Because the mat is so thin, I'm worried that it will tear eventually in this corner.

The other thing I don't like about the Husky mats is that they do a very poor job of channeling water and melted snow away from your feet and pant legs. Let me correct myself. To say that they do a poor job of channeling water away would imply that they at least do it a little bit. They don't do it at all. The result is, in the winter the end of my pant legs sit in the water, and it wicks up my pants. When the water drys out, the bottom of my pant legs are crusted with salt. Argh! I hate this.

Oh, and did I mention that the Husky liners are just plain ugly? Husky only offers floor mats for the Outback in the Weatherbeater series. If the Forester you are buying is a '14 or '15, then Weatherbeater is all that Husky offers for it. If it is older, all they offer is their most basic Classic series. Husky has a nicer series called X-Act Contour. They have deeper channels to handle the water, and aren't ugly like the Weaterhbeater and Classic mats. In fact they look quite nice. Not as nice as the Subaru liners, but nice.

But Husky doesn't offer the X-Act Contour for the Forester, or the Outback. Argh!!!

Judging from pictures, I don't think the Weathertech Digital Fit liners cover as well as the Husky mats. If they did, I would order a set today and sell my Husky liners.

So pick your poison. There is no perfect floor liner set for the Forester. At least that I know of. You have to decide which is most important to you, and compromise on others.

I bought a set of these for my Pontiac Vibe, they are carpet texture, very easily swept, are bucket shaped and will hold water rather than letting it thru to the carpet underneath.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_ssn=findwaycanada&_armrs=1&_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=2014+subaru+forester&_lncat=0&_arm=1&_armm=94&_ruu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fm.html%3F_ssn%3Dfindwaycanada%26_armrs%3D1%26_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D2014%2Bsubaru%2Bforester%26_arr%3D1&_oac=1

I had Weather Tech in my Milan for the 7 years. I had no problems with them. When I purchased my 2014 Mazda I ordered Weather Tech but sent them back because I thought they did not cover very well. I then purchased Husky Liners. They are thinner than the Weather Tech but the coverage was a lot better and they are much easier to remove from the car for cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back