Chinese quality control is job #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a ford fan but I would keep it. Better the devil you know than the one you don't know. Speaking of which I an going to sell my 80 Toyota 4x4 finally after 34 years

Originally Posted By: Mitch
Not a ford fan but I would keep it. Better the devil you know than the one you don't know. Speaking of which I an going to sell my 80 Toyota 4x4 finally after 34 years

Don't do it you'll be sorry.
wink.gif

Like I've said MANY times before, the very FIRST thing I would do if I bought one of these NA Coyote engined ponies is swap in a 6060, or a built T56, regardless of cost.
wink.gif

Sorry to hear about your experiences with the transmission. It bugs me that Ford would use a Chinese transmission in this vehicle. Most people who buy Mustangs don't buy them as a gas sipper commuter or a luxury cruiser, they buy them because they are car enthusiasts. Bad experiences can turn enthusiasts off of a brand.

You would think Ford would learn this after their experience with International and the diesel trucks. The issues left a bad taste in many customers' mouths, and now some won't buy a Ford diesel again because of it.

Well I can say with certainty that Ford's decision to source a transmission from China cost them at least one sale......Me!

I test drove a new 2012 GT with the MT82 and really liked it, but the horror stories then just beginning to come out about the MT82 scared me away. I bought a SRT8 392 Challenger with a Tremec 6060 even though it cost $10K more than the Mustang. Granted the SRT8 is a lot more car: roomier, more luxurious, 6.4L Hemi vs. 5.0L Coyote engine, IRS vs. solid axle, and old school retro styling (a plus for an old f@rt like me). The SRT8 has been trouble free in the 2 1/2 years I have had it. But if not for the reputation that had already built up about the MT82 I would have bought the Mustang.

I suspect I am not the only one. Look at how the Camaro has outpaced the Mustang in sales the past few years.

Last edited:
I'm a Ford lover to the core, and that transmission business has cost them a sale here as well.

I've been watching the progress of the new Mustang for when it comes out to OZ and that gearbox has put me right off it from what I see on the forums.

Transmission reliability issues and that stupid skip shift feature are a prime example of what happens when a manufacturer looses perspective.
Historically Ford has done this type of thing before on numerous occasions.
It's obviously a cultural thing.

Sorry Ford.
YOU LOOSE.
AGAIN.

The saddest part of all of this is that it probably would not have cut into their required (by the bean counters and shareholders) profit margin all that much IF they just went ahead and bought the TR6060s IN BULK from the get go.

They already had a connection to Tremec as a supplier from the GT500, and past Cobra 'Terminators' (and ALL of the Fox bodies if you count the various iterations of the 5 speeds), and the required bellhousing would have cost the same to develop and produce as the one for the MT82.
21.gif
frown.gif

There would not have needed to be any R&D for the bellhousing, the new 5.0 uses the same bolt pattern.

Tremec also made all the T-3650s, and earlier T-45s. Borg Warner made them for a while but somewhere along the line Tremec took over production.

At first I thought most of the shift issues people had with the MT-82 was frp, the different gate spacing compared to a Tremec. It felt very similar to my Volvo R car, but as time wore on it got worse. BTW "as time wore on" would be less than a year and 11k miles into my ownership.

I fully understand the accountant run mentality by the auto manufacturers. They all do it, and I don't blame them. They go under the assumption that the money saved in production will not be lost with warranty repairs.

I just don't like having to depend on major assembly production from off-shore when the capacity already exists in an environment where quality of product can be guaranteed. Now true the TR-6060s used in Holdens and Falcons are technically off-shore, but I am willing to bet the Aussies on this board don't mind. Plus a Hollinger box is not really street friendly.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Tremec also made all the T-3650s, and earlier T-45s. Borg Warner made them for a while but somewhere along the line Tremec took over production.

Yes, it's been so long that I forgot BW made the T-5s (as well as all of the early T56es).

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Plus a Hollinger box is not really street friendly.

True, but think of just how much fun that (or an; Emco, X-Trac, Quaife, etc. real sequential) would be!!
19.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back