Help with choosing a 9mm semi automatic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, definitely look for reviews on Google for any guns you're considering. Check forums, gun sites (Chuck Hawks, TTAG, etc.). You'll find a lot of information on reliability, comfort, accuracy, trigger...

And go to your LGS and talk to the guys there too.

Originally Posted By: PJboy
I read a lot of great topics in this forum and I am looking at 9mm semiautomatic handguns. Are there any recommendations that anyone has for them, I am currently look at a Ruger SR9.

Nowadays there are plethora of great semi auto handguns out there. The SR9 is a fine choice. What's your main use for it? Do you have a concealed weapons permit? If you're going to carry it hidden then you should think compact or subcompact (smaller than compact) sized handguns. Note the smaller the gun the more recoil and harder shot placement.

That being said some have said Glock. I don't disagree that they are good firearms. But hold one first to make sure they are for you. IMO they are overrated and many guns have better ergonomics and functionality than Glock.

Springfield and Smith and Wesson both improved on Glock's design IMO. If your price range is in the SR9 arena, consider a Smith Sd9VE ($329) or a Shield ($399). Spend a little more and get a Beretta PX4 Storm Compact ($499), it has been my concealed carry (in rotation with the Springfield XD-40 subcompact) for a long time. No complaints. The Springfield locks back prematurely sometimes but I have never had an issue with the Beretta.

Sig is also good, check out the SP2022 or p250 for an affordable option.

I read a lot of great topics in this forum and I am looking at 9mm semiautomatic handguns. Are there any recommendations that anyone has for them, I am currently look at a Ruger SR9.

The SR9 is a nice gun. I believe that it has a magazine disconnect and a manual safety. Good if you like those things, bad if you don't. Just know that going in. I owned a Ruger 22/45 Lite a few years ago. Good quality, as all Rugers are. I removed the magazine disconnect and enjoyed it much better without that. I'm not sure if you can do that with the SR9 or not.

My full-size gun is a CZ P-09. Excellent piece, excellent quality, and excellent price. I posted a number of pictures in this thread. It's an excellent night-stand gun, with a rail for attachments if you want that (or leave it naked if you don't). It has a DA/SA trigger system, or you can swap the decocker out for the included manual safety. I've tried it both ways and I prefer the decocker. It's nice to have the option. The P-09 is a great value; I paid $500 out the door for mine, but you can buy 'em for about $450 these days (at least around here). Great price for a very reliable 19+1 pistol.

My carry gun is a Smith & Wesson Shield in 9mm. This is a great option if you want to carry concealed because it's so thin. I paired it with a super slim PJ Holster (reviewed in this thread) and carry it everywhere I'm allowed to. The Shield is a nice value at less than $400 out the door from most gun stores. I paid $359+tax for mine earlier this year.

If you're looking at an SR9, I assume you're not looking to get into concealed carry, at least not with that gun. You can carry it, but it'd be a little large for concealing under lighter clothing. Because of some of the features on the SR9, I would make a different choice, but it's objectively a good quality piece.

The best thing you can do is find a pistol range that rents out various makes and models of 9mm handguns. Budget enough to try out at least 4 of them, preferrably 4 different brands. Shoot around 50 rounds out of each. That will tell you more than a year's worth of reading reviews.

If you're looking specifically at striker-fired semi-autos, shoot some of these:
Glock 17 or 19
Springfield XD9
Ruger SR9 or SR9C
Walther PPQ or H&K VP9 (if you can find one for rent)
S&W M&P
Sig P320

I've shot Glocks, Sigs, H&Ks, Rugers, Tauruses (Taurii?), Springfields, 1911s, baby eagles, and probably a few more I can't think of at the moment. Some types I shoot very well, other types I shoot poorly with. Figure out what you shoot well.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
OP is this your first handgun? IMO Ruger's triggers are simply awful for the most part. A horrid trigger not only detracts from the shooting experience it negatively impacts accuracy.

I like Kahr's and Glocks. Kahr triggers are some of the best out of the box. The Kahr CM9 is a sweetheart of a 9 that you can conceal easily if that's one of your intents. Glock does not make a highly concealable 9mm but the smaller ones can be made to work in many instances.

In this case opinions vary. I have an SR-9 with the newest design (the one with the D-shaped mag release button). Very nice trigger feel. The older ones with the round button had a hard pull. My wife had a Kahr CW-9 and it had such a long pull I hated it. If you're going to do a lot of target shooting, nothing works better for me than a 1911. Springfield makes the best one for the $$$. Again, opinions vary so check them out for yourself to be sure.

Glock 17, 19, 26 depending upon primary use.
I am biased, as a Glock armorer.
Owned a lot of brands; still do.
Glock is my go-to gun when the manure hits the air mover.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

The SR9 is a nice gun. I believe that it has a magazine disconnect and a manual safety. Good if you like those things, bad if you don't. Just know that going in. I owned a Ruger 22/45 Lite a few years ago. Good quality, as all Rugers are. I removed the magazine disconnect and enjoyed it much better without that. I'm not sure if you can do that with the SR9 or not.

If you're looking at an SR9, I assume you're not looking to get into concealed carry, at least not with that gun. You can carry it, but it'd be a little large for concealing under lighter clothing. Because of some of the features on the SR9, I would make a different choice, but it's objectively a good quality piece.

The SR9 magazine disconnect is a snap to remove, takes ~5 minutes. I have a 22/45 and an SR22 (both have magazine disconnects), but they are simply range toys.

As far as conceal carry with an SR9, with the right holster it can be done. Me personally, if I were to carry a 9mm handgun for CCW, the SR9c would be a better choice.

Of course if you remove the magazine safety on the gun, and then use that gun in self defense and end up with an anti gun prosecutor in court they can say you were "wreckless" by deactivating a safety feature.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Of course if you remove the magazine safety on the gun, and then use that gun in self defense and end up with an anti gun prosecutor in court they can say you were "wreckless" by deactivating a safety feature.

Yep, IMO self defense gun should be stock (other than grips & sights). Range guns do as you please.

As for what 9mm ? buy the gun that feels best in your hand. I like CZ (and clones), M&P and 1911's.

I agree; it's a door that you probably don't need to open for them...

The OP would really help us out (and himself or herself) if he or she would follow up in this thread and let us know what the intended use for this firearm is.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Glock 26

100% agree glock 26 get a pinky extension for nightstand use, when you CC it use the magazine as it came from the factory for a more concealment.

First of all; if you have not held it in your hand, don't buy it. Go to a store, a range, or somewhere, and hold everything you are interested in (and maybe some you don't think you are interested in). The one you want is the one that makes a low crooning noise when it is in your hand. Well, maybe not the gun, but someone really close nearby. I am serious. If it does not feel good, it is wrong for you. This is more important than nifty features.

CZ - That is where I went. I spent a lot (a really lot) of time researching details. Then I went out and held everything of possible interest. Instant love.

First you have to decide how it is to be used. Carry can be very different than bedside.

I am talking home defense. CZ 75 Sp-01 Tactical. 19 round mag, Tritium sights, ambidextrous de-cocker. Double/single action. Too big to carry concealed. Open carry should be fine.

It is a full size, all steel, and heavy, hence low felt recoil. Small handed non-muscular wife loves it. Points naturally.

I am not comfortable with Glocks (and others) with their little trigger in the real trigger. I fail to see how that is a safety. If you are going to generate an non-intended discharge, you are somehow going to pull the trigger. Nuff said. There is a reason for Glock knee. Although I have carried cocked and locked, I do not feel comfortable with the safety. And it is an extra step in a crisis (anytime you have to draw your weapon is a crisis). If you are wandering the woods it is also prone to getting [censored] between the hammer and its intended functional location.

I have developed a fondness for double action if done well. My carry is double/single action with no further safeties. I am comfortable with this approach.

The CZ is double/single action. Relatively long trigger pull (but smooth and effortless) adds safety. There is a manual de-cocker. Automatic firing pin blocker. I have never been happy about dropping a hammer to half cock by holding the hammer and pulling the trigger (although I used to carry one). Feels like an accident waiting to happen. The CZ eliminates all my concerns. There is a lever to de-cock that can not cause a negligent discharge. There is also a rail for laser/light.

They appear to be quite reliable. Accurate. Not picky about ammo. And they have a .22 conversion kit for training and plinking while retaining the feel of the "real" weapon.

For me it points very naturally.

Before my exercise to pick a new house gun, I had never really paid any attention to CZ. This turned out to be a mistake. They are also fairly reasonably priced. There are also gunsmiths on the web that specialize in tuning these guns. I had it done and am very pleased with the results. Out of the box was very good. After the work it was excellent. But you really do not have to do anything to it to be quite happy.

I'd like CZ to come out with a slim single stack 9mm. They have the 2075 RAMI, but it's a double wide. So is their 75 PCR, which is, by the way, a fantastic gun. After shooting my P-09, a friend of mine wanted to get into CZ and bought a 75 PCR. We both shoot my larger P09 better (which is essentially a current model SP-01 Phantom), but I think we both like the ergos on his PCR better. CZs just have a FINE grip.

I'd like a metal frame CZ one day.

All i know for sure is my Ruger SR9C has been an excellent shooter. 900-1000 rounds through it from various brands of ammo. NEVER a FTF, FTE, or any other issue's whatsoever. I keep it properly lubed and cleaned. It has been an excellent every day carry gun. Also have a Ruger SR40C, but like the 9 better.

Last edited:
What will the intended use be?

That being said the Glock 19 will do just about anything you need it to from killing paper, to a nightstand gun, to even a CCW piece.

Pretty much going to the shooting range and self defense.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
OP is this your first handgun? IMO Ruger's triggers are simply awful for the most part. A horrid trigger not only detracts from the shooting experience it negatively impacts accuracy.

I like Kahr's and Glocks. Kahr triggers are some of the best out of the box. The Kahr CM9 is a sweetheart of a 9 that you can conceal easily if that's one of your intents. Glock does not make a highly concealable 9mm but the smaller ones can be made to work in many instances.

Yeah, its my first handgun

I would like to spend under $600, but willing to pay for a quality product.

Originally Posted By: alternety
First of all; if you have not held it in your hand, don't buy it. Go to a store, a range, or somewhere, and hold everything you are interested in (and maybe some you don't think you are interested in). The one you want is the one that makes a low crooning noise when it is in your hand. Well, maybe not the gun, but someone really close nearby. I am serious. If it does not feel good, it is wrong for you. This is more important than nifty features.

CZ - That is where I went. I spent a lot (a really lot) of time researching details. Then I went out and held everything of possible interest. Instant love.

First you have to decide how it is to be used. Carry can be very different than bedside.

I am talking home defense. CZ 75 Sp-01 Tactical. 19 round mag, Tritium sights, ambidextrous de-cocker. Double/single action. Too big to carry concealed. Open carry should be fine.

It is a full size, all steel, and heavy, hence low felt recoil. Small handed non-muscular wife loves it. Points naturally.

I am not comfortable with Glocks (and others) with their little trigger in the real trigger. I fail to see how that is a safety. If you are going to generate an non-intended discharge, you are somehow going to pull the trigger. Nuff said. There is a reason for Glock knee. Although I have carried cocked and locked, I do not feel comfortable with the safety. And it is an extra step in a crisis (anytime you have to draw your weapon is a crisis). If you are wandering the woods it is also prone to getting [censored] between the hammer and its intended functional location.

I have developed a fondness for double action if done well. My carry is double/single action with no further safeties. I am comfortable with this approach.

The CZ is double/single action. Relatively long trigger pull (but smooth and effortless) adds safety. There is a manual de-cocker. Automatic firing pin blocker. I have never been happy about dropping a hammer to half cock by holding the hammer and pulling the trigger (although I used to carry one). Feels like an accident waiting to happen. The CZ eliminates all my concerns. There is a lever to de-cock that can not cause a negligent discharge. There is also a rail for laser/light.

They appear to be quite reliable. Accurate. Not picky about ammo. And they have a .22 conversion kit for training and plinking while retaining the feel of the "real" weapon.

For me it points very naturally.

Before my exercise to pick a new house gun, I had never really paid any attention to CZ. This turned out to be a mistake. They are also fairly reasonably priced. There are also gunsmiths on the web that specialize in tuning these guns. I had it done and am very pleased with the results. Out of the box was very good. After the work it was excellent. But you really do not have to do anything to it to be quite happy.

Wow...the CZ-75 was already on my list as a pistol worth consideration in my search for an all-steel, single-action capable 9mm that not everyone and their brother has for range use and home defense.

You've about got me sold! At the top of my list - the Browning Hi-Power. But they're proud of them...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back