DSL modem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any big differences when it comes to modems?, my AT&T modem is going south I believe because I have to restart it all the time so pages load right and was wondering before I go hunting for one.

You said your "AT&T modem" but I'm wondering if it's a Uverse Gateway? If so, I've had 3 or 4 of those die on me over the years I've had Uverse. They've always been great about checking it from tech support and then overnighting me a new one.

For what it's worth, a neighbor just got a new one last month and I noticed while helping to set it up that it supports 802.11n as well as b/g.

If it really is an AT&T modem, sorry and please disregard. :)

Last edited:
I got it years ago when we first sighed up for DSL through ATT so it was what ever they used back then for modems, I believe it's a seimans speedstream 4100 modem.

It used to be a good modem but last 8 months its been terrible dropping internet and now pages don't load right.

Originally Posted By: daman
I got it years ago when we first sighed up for DSL through ATT so it was what ever they used back then for modems

Are you paying for it monthly as part of your bill, or did you buy it outright?

Either way, one simple thing that can cause problems is the power supply. If it begins to fail, the modem's logic will not operate correctly, seeming to "sort of" work most of the time.

Again, either way, your ISP will have tech staff who can do troubleshooting up to your modem, and this is usually free of charge, so you should phone them before spending any money.

No im not paying for it received free from what I can remember when we sighed up,i suppose it could be the power transformer something is definitely wrong with the modem tho I narrowed down to that.

Some modems might help with stats lines... You would have to post current ones

Dslreports forum is good place to start

All I know is the modem is the problem not PC or router. I need to often restart it for pages to load right,IF..i link up to another provider all is well, come back to my Wi-Fi and back to having problems.

a call to ATT is in order I think..

Guessing that it's a Westell, as I seem to remember AT&T provided one of those back when I had DSL with them.
You should probably try (yes, I know AT&T's a PITA to deal with) to talk to them about a replacement.

Back in the day I could get a BroadXent 8120 to connect to AT&T; it needed a little configuration to do so, I don't remember what configuration it was. My phone line went through a bad cable bundle that had numerous splices. AT&T finally put in a new bundle last year, but it took them about 10 years to get around to it, numerous complaints, and calls to the 'Office of The President'.

I'm mentioning all this because when I had AT&T DSL they thought their modem was better on "noisy/marginal" lines, and it actually was. Just a little bit.

Originally Posted By: Donald
My DSL drops daily. But I blame it on Fairpoint Communications. I have two modems they have given me and both drop occasionally.

....are you sure its the modem?
Wiring issues are the main cause of DSL problems

No im not paying for it received free from what I can remember when we sighed up,i suppose it could be the power transformer something is definitely wrong with the modem tho I narrowed down to that.

OK.... Then what are you asking for help then?
Between the spelling and your flat out to refusal to entertain the idea of purchasing a higher quality modem, fine.

/thread.

The westell I have has a link light; the most recent call i put in with ATT was the connection would drop and the link light would start flashing indicating it was renegotiating with the CO.

Any chance you have a link light indicator?

After ATT said they did a line test and it was ok, i had to insist they send a tech to the house. "The modem you guys sent has been working for over 10 years and the link light is now flashing when my connection drops."

Turns out it was a marginal connection in the box on the house. The ATT guy wired up a new one and I ran the new connection thru the window to my modem; this prevents the claim in the future that it can be internal wiring.

So +1 on checking basic wiring check. If it is 'in the house' you will be charged for the service.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher

Between the spelling and your flat out to refusal to entertain the idea of purchasing a higher quality modem, fine.

/thread.

Refusal to buy a new modem? Huh? I thought that's exactly what he wants to do: buy a new modem. He just doesn't know which one.

I got it years ago when we first sighed up for DSL through ATT so it was what ever they used back then for modems, I believe it's a seimans speedstream 4100 modem.

It used to be a good modem but last 8 months its been terrible dropping internet and now pages don't load right.

Is there a reason why you don't want another modem supplied by your current Internet service? If your service isn't working properly, shouldn't a tech be checking your connection and providing a replacement modem if needed? A Speedstream 4100 has to be pretty old by now. I used to have a SS 4200 and 4300 and they both went belly up with overheating problems and I always got free replacements.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: michaelluscher

/thread.

Refusal to buy a new modem? Huh? I thought that's exactly what he wants to do: buy a new modem. He just doesn't know which one.

Ahh yea no kidding he must be out to lunch that's the point to this thread is asking about modems and buying one.. ,I'm not against another one from ATT its there rip off price that turns me off.

This issue just started months ago so wiring should be fine it worked good before. I'll try ATT today and see how it goes, I'm sure not smooth.

Let's put it this way: Do they charge you to trade in a modem when there's is acting up, or you think it's acting up? If not (and they shouldn't; they're good about switching out here), get a new one from them and see what it does. If it fixes your issue, and you don't like paying them for the modem anyhow, then you can decide to purchase your own, after you did your troubleshooting on their equipment.

You don't have to buy it FROM THEM!

You don't have Uverse, right?
Then any ADSL/VDSL off the shelf modem would probably be superior to the one provided.

Do you want one with a built in router/WiFi? Or do you just need the modem part?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back