New Cooper Light Truck Winter tire...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like Consumer Reports just ranked the Cooper Discoverer A/TW #2. Three tires tied for the first place spot with 66 points and the A/TW received 64 points. The Cooper Discoverer A/T3 received 60 points.

Originally Posted By: Danno
Originally Posted By: Rand

snowflake is actually really weak.

Compared to what standard?

compared to the traction of actual winter tires

its like setting the bar at 1ft when you have athletes that can jump 4ft in the air.

you might have tires that can break the really low performance requirement but there are tires that are so much better.

not saying anything wrong with the cooper ATW3

just that they won't approach the winter condition traction of a true winter tire.. ex. blizzack dm-v1

I'm sure they would be great for a year round use tire that's weighted towards winter conditions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jjjxlr8
Looks like Consumer Reports just ranked the Cooper Discoverer A/TW #2. Three tires tied for the first place spot with 66 points and the A/TW received 64 points. The Cooper Discoverer A/T3 received 60 points.

What were the ones that tied for first?

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
Originally Posted By: Miller88
The stock wheels have a lot of back spacing and will fit in the fenders. I ran 215 85R16 with no lift in the front (and eventually back) and it fit. But the liberty wheels are high backspacing. Don't buy the Quadratec HD springs ... they sag after a year.

It wouldn't work with the lower backspacing wheels I'm running now.

Your 5.9 will be able to pull 32'' tires on stock gears a bit better than my 4.0 can.

Hopefully once I get the new axle in and I don't have any driveline vibrations, I'm going 4.56 and slightly bigger tires. I can play with bump stops to keep tires from knocking fenders off.

Good point. My set is going on a set of stock 5.9 wheels (16x7, 4.5" [censored] / +13 offset).

The stock Niner wheels have 4.5'' of b.s? Ha! I passed up a set of those when I got my towncar wheels because I thought they would be 5.5'' of B.s like the Liberty wheels.

Originally Posted By: Danno

snowflake is actually really weak.

Compared to what standard?

compared to the traction of actual winter tires

its like setting the bar at 1ft when you have athletes that can jump 4ft in the air.

you might have tires that can break the really low performance requirement but there are tires that are so much better.

not saying anything wrong with the cooper ATW3

just that they won't approach the winter condition traction of a true winter tire.. ex. blizzack dm-v1

I'm sure they would be great for a year round use tire that's weighted towards winter conditions.

wrong analogy. You're right though, the standard of the severe snow service according to the Rubber Manufacturers Association is set pretty low, it's something like a reference trailer tire.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
The stock Niner wheels have 4.5'' of b.s? Ha! I passed up a set of those when I got my towncar wheels because I thought they would be 5.5'' of B.s like the Liberty wheels.

Yeah, all the stock 7" wide ZJ wheels have 4.5" backspacing (which would push them out an inch further than 5.5").

Well that's interesting. Guess I didn't need to go with Towncar wheels.

Anyway - 5.5 to 4.5 on my cherokee:

ytIQlwl.jpg

Looking for snowies as well and just seen these at CND Tire on sale.

Was/am looking for Arctic Claws, which I had on my old truck and really liked them as a true winter/snow tire. Curious how these would compare?

Not looking for a year round tire, just a winter only tire as I have my stock all seasons which I will run until they wear out.

The ATW is NOT a winter only tire. It's an All Terrain with emphasis on winter performance.

Originally Posted By: jjjxlr8
The ATW is NOT a winter only tire. It's an All Terrain with emphasis on winter performance.

Yea that was the point I was trying to make earlier.

It will be better than regular style AT in the winter but not close to the ice/packed snow grip of class leading winter tires.

I had these installed on my Grand Cherokee the other day.

I previously had GY Wrangler Silent Armors (P245/70R17). Unfortunately they only lasted 45 000 KMs. Had 4/32's left. Very disappointed in the tread life of the Silent Armors.

The Discoverer A/TWs (LT245/70R17) are much more aggressive and have deeper grooves than the pictures suggest. Love the look on my Jeep. Pressured them up to 50PSI to match the OE load rating.

They offer a different ride for sure due to them being LTs. So far so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back