MMO + Rotella T5: Reduction in Blowby in my L05

Status
Not open for further replies.
If all you wanted to clean was the valves, combustion chamber(s) and the top of the piston(s), All one would have to do is pour a little(I'll say it again, a LITTLE water) down the carb as the engine is running and they will be as clean as a new engine.

On one of our turbo cars we run water/meth injection and when we pulled the heads to repaint the tops of our pistons every thing was so clean, you could eat off it.

ROD

Definitely degunked the rings enough for oil control to come back, I'd say 22 years of poor maintenance probably had made them less than effective.

I would have done the piston soak method, but it's a real pain to get down to the spark plug holes, and I hadn't quite figured out how to get the engine to the perfect point where all pistons would be at least partially down.

If this were a DOHC V8, like my old Mark VIII's, this would have been done from the get-go.

This engine is going to be pulled and turned into a 377 soon enough anyway, so I didn't stress the issue too much, but I have the drivability I want in the mean time.

Originally Posted By: rrounds
If all you wanted to clean was the valves, combustion chamber(s) and the top of the piston(s), All one would have to do is pour a little(I'll say it again, a LITTLE water) down the carb as the engine is running and they will be as clean as a new engine.

On one of our turbo cars we run water/meth injection and when we pulled the heads to repaint the tops of our pistons every thing was so clean, you could eat off it.

ROD

I just bought an old water injection system that I'm going to install. It's one of those old units that allowed the high compression engines to run on unleaded gas, and to keep the old style plugs clean, but it should keep the carbon out in general, and includes a nice vacuum gauge.

MMO aside, I'm having trouble with 20MPG at 90MPH. Is that even possible?

I'm guessing 35MPH tailwind on a short run.

Last edited:
24mpg car at regular highway speed; add more speed, lose 4 mpg. Not the hardest thing to figure out. If I ever get something deeper than its factory 2.56 R&P, I likely won't make that, but as it is, she has pretty long legs.

I understand pounds per hour per horsepower, and I know the wagon has a low CD. Very few cars can add 25-30 MPH while only losing 15% MPG. The 2.56 would help reduce frictional losses in the engine, but it still takes a given horsepower to go 90MPH, regardless of gearing.

Lets hear for MMO,,,,,,aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamen.

In my old lead sled, 2005 Buick as we speak, by the way I need to get a new gallon of MMO.
01.gif
cheers3.gif
25.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back