Yet another rant thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Originally Posted By: 29662
Try having a non-english name in a state like South Carolina. Frustrating does not describe it.

I've even been asked if I spoke English, after having carried on a short conversation with the person. My response was "yes, I was born here, and unlike you I have a college degree, and my English is far better than yours". The dumb country bumpkin of a receptionist got all offended and went off crying somewhere. I thought that was an odd question from someone who sounded like their parents just might be first cousins.

I get frustrated with the South's accent too. But they was a bit hurtful, I can understand being offended by someone insulting your first language. But if the first cards you pull are "well, I was born here and am a college graduate". How many people have you met with those credentials that can't count, spell, or type for there life?

Secretaries and receptionists REALLY need to up there game, if they don't want there jobs taken by Siri.

I understand your point, but as I stated we had been talking for about a minute before she asked me that; after I gave her my name. And it was purely based on the fact that I have a non-English name.

I deal with clients from all over the world. I always try and do my best to pronounce their names properly. It doesn't always work out that way , but I try to be as respectful of their culture and language as possible. Some others could care less...

Last edited:
My dad is from Finland and i got his lastname.
People get it wrong so often that i get surprised when someone acctually manage to prenounce and spell it right.
My firstnamne is also surprisingly hard for people to spell and prenounce.
I have seen: Piere, Pirre, Pjer, Pjerr, Pjeer and Pjär... its is Pierre
Sometimes i get so tired of it that i just tell them to use my middlename instead which is Peter.

But the thning that gets me the most is when people are to lazy to spell out whole words on forums and uses short for it instead.

Like this:
please help my car wont start help please is turned in to:
pls hlp me my car wnt strt hlp PLS!!!... sorry but i am not even going to click on the thread to see what is is about.

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
So... your name is basically Peter Peter?

Never thought of that but yes.

My last name is mispronounced/ misspelled all the time. It is pronounced how it is spelled and few people comprehend it. Whenever I give my last name for a table, I just say my last name is Fox.

People have spelled my first name wrong all my life. It's way too late for me to start worrying about that.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: supton
I don't care how the Irish spell it--you're wrong!

I'm the opposite, my name is fairly common, but spelt the Irish (or Catholic) way. For many, many years the phone book had a couple of columns of the Prody spelling, and we were the only ones with our version.

A friend has a similar Irish name, and when he joined the British Army to fight in the Maori Wars, they dropped the last letter - first thing he did when he got out of the army was to put that letter back on and become Catholic again.

My last name is a 12 letter German surname. I have heard every variation including added and subtracted letters. None of them bug me until they continue to misspell or mispronounce it after numerous corrections.

One that does bug me is a nearby town with a Spanish name "San Luis Obispo" pronounced exactly the way it is spelled. People will refer to it as "Saint Louie Obispo" which is in no way correct and is certainly not French in origin.

Originally Posted By: Silk
Originally Posted By: supton
I don't care how the Irish spell it--you're wrong!

I'm the opposite, my name is fairly common, but spelt the Irish (or Catholic) way. For many, many years the phone book had a couple of columns of the Prody spelling, and we were the only ones with our version.

A friend has a similar Irish name, and when he joined the British Army to fight in the Maori Wars, they dropped the last letter - first thing he did when he got out of the army was to put that letter back on and become Catholic again.

Maori Wars? I had to Google it.. How old is your friend?? o_O

My last name is also 6 letters long and is constantly misspelled or mispronounced. I barely even notice anymore.

The funniest situation I've seen was when we hired a bunch of consultants from a firm that tended to hire from schools that apparently weren't very diverse and had students with easy-to-pronounce names. Their stumbling over my last name was funny enough, but my coworker's last name, 5 characters long, 4 consonants in a row and ending with a vowel, darn near put some of them in the ER to get their tongues untied after trying to pronounce that name.
crackmeup2.gif

My last name looks a lot like a first name (it is British). It is absolutely amazing how often it gets misspelled. It is only 5 letters too....
crazy2.gif

I learned a long time ago that if someone misspells or mispronounces your name or forgets your name, return the favour to them. It works every time. I've had people continually call me by the wrong name (or otherwise screw it up). Corrections and reminders did nothing. Intentionally fouling up their names fixed the problem with immediate effect.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
My last name looks a lot like a first name (it is British). It is absolutely amazing how often it gets misspelled. It is only 5 letters too....
crazy2.gif

My boss is like that, regular first name for first, and regular first name for second. I think he now answers to either name.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I learned a long time ago that if someone misspells or mispronounces your name or forgets your name, return the favour to them. It works every time. I've had people continually call me by the wrong name (or otherwise screw it up). Corrections and reminders did nothing. Intentionally fouling up their names fixed the problem with immediate effect.

I like that idea, might try it the next chance I get!

We get a bunch of French names here: Tons of Ouellettes but then some Anglicized (?) Willettes to go with.

How do I spell that? W (bzzzzt)

Off on the wrong foot.
laugh.gif

My first name is almost common and simple. I can see how it is misunderstood though. From "Bryant" I have gotten Bryan, Brian, Brain, Brine, and Brint.

Employees at work quit trying and just call me "B". Fine by me at least it's pronounced correct.

I keep a collection of mailings with my name misspelled. What's funny, is that some of these misspellings find their way into junk mail, so I know who sold the listing with my name to which advertiser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back