Vaccines - Calling the Shots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most people I know who get flu shuts ... end up with the flu anyway. Something that mutates as quickly as the flu just doesn't make sense.

Sure, I could get vaccinated against H3N5, but that's just what they expect there to be this year. What's to say that another strain doesn't end up being popular, or the one against which everyone is vaccinated ends up changing to something else?

Hmmm... According to some of the posters here, I am definitely an IDIOT for not yet having my 2.5 year old daughter vaccinated. KMA.

Here's the deal, there are 2 different high-level types of non-vaccination groups. Group one: the one's who refuse due in large part to the whole conspiracy that vaccinations are linked to Autism. What a joke. Take Jay Cutler and his idiotic wife as an openly public example. Group two: The group that is putting them on hold, delaying the injections, because of multiple reports that have not disproved the theory that vaccinations are linked to slower mental development of the case child.

Some people including one in this thread, are so thick-minded and self-involved that everyone who doesn't vaccinate their kids, are society's problems. Guess what, everything unnatural to the human body has side-effects, regardless of what YOU may think, and there is no reason to inflict that on an infant or small child.

I personally fall into group two. My daughter has not had a single shot since birth, and I have had to verbally fight with doctors for this. She has been sick a total of 3 times since birth. All 3 were common colds. she is developing well ahead of ANY of our (my wife and I)friend's kids, including the ones a year or two older than her. BUT, I will be getting her vaccinations prior to her attending public/private school as this is where most of these diseases are contracted and spread.

Here's something else for people to consider. Diseases mutate over time, that has been proven. The vaccinations from 5, 10, 15 years ago could be rendered useless today, but most people think they are invincible due to their vaccinations from yester-year, and THEY could be the cause of the problem. Just food for thought.

Vaccinations are a never ending battle, just like the flu shot - which I choose not to receive. And wait for it, big shocker... I haven't gotten the flu in 5+ years.

Let the flaming begin!

I just got the shingles vaccine. I have already had shingles but this will prevent it a 2nd time. Its a nasty thing to get.

I get the flu vaccine every year. This year its 4 strains of flu, normally its 3. I do not want to get the flu. The shot is basically free, I was in my doctors office for a routine visit anyway.

I would spread out the vaccines, I thought they normally did anyway.

I get flu shots every year (free with blue cross blue shield). Not going to lie I get sick every single time. Only one time I recall not getting sick within a week and I had a cough and felt sore.

I can understand why people done want to give kids vaccines you never really know. Many people have allergic reactions to them.

I'm not saying don't give them to them.. Just idk. Many negatives to it. Use to donate blood once a month back in my 20's did it for many years until they had a trainie do it and messed it up. Completely missed and got a massive 6-7 inch bruise pretty much as wide as my arm. Needless to say I was hardly able to use my right arm for about a week.

It wasn't that that made me stop its how they acted in the situation.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
I get flu shots every year (free with blue cross blue shield). Not going to lie I get sick every single time. Only one time I recall not getting sick within a week and I had a cough and felt sore.

I can understand why people done want to give kids vaccines you never really know. Many people have allergic reactions to them.

I'm not saying don't give them to them.. Just idk. Many negatives to it. Use to donate blood once a month back in my 20's did it for many years until they had a trainie do it and messed it up. Completely missed and got a massive 6-7 inch bruise pretty much as wide as my arm. Needless to say I was hardly able to use my right arm for about a week.

The normal flu vaccine (shot) is a dead virus. You cannot get the flu from it. Sore arm and issues if you are allergic to eggs possibly.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: 3800Series

The normal flu vaccine (shot) is a dead virus. You cannot get the flu from it. Sore arm and issues if you are allergic to eggs possibly.

I understand the concepts. I eat eggs regularly but I can tell you from personal experience I have gotten sick every single time iv taken a flu shot within a week for the past 10 years.

I'm debating it this year since if I'll get one it will be next month.

We've been doing the regular vaccinations, and they seem to be spread out reasonably. Once they went to day care though at 12-16 months, they still got the odd virus.
If the mother breast feeds, she does pass on some resistance as well, which always helps.
Our kids also spend a lot of time in the dirt too, either sand box, garden, or barn yard with the pigs, chickens, goats, and dogs. So I think they get exposed to lots of different bugs which should help their immune system develop well and hopefully they won't have any allergies either.

LifeExpectancy.jpg

Vaccines seem to only have positive results.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
LifeExpectancy.jpg

No, education into healthy living have increased life expectancy along with technology.

LifeExpectancy.jpg

Really? That graph doesn't seem to have any data relating to vaccine use...
If there was a strong relationship between estimated life expectancy and vaccine use, maybe life expectancy would start to drop in more recent years due to more children not being vaccinated?

Originally Posted By: wsar10
No, education into healthy living have increased life expectancy along with technology.

This. Also, notice how it says U.S. and not THE WORLD. We are close to, if not the best, when it comes to advanced technology for treatment. There are plenty of foreign countries that lack in this regard, and their life expectancy is not as high as ours.

Originally Posted By: wsar10

Of course there are many factors, however if vaccines were as toxic as the detractors say they are, a steep rise in life expectancy should not be expected.

Especially since vaccines are used by such a high percentage of the population.

And yet, there is regular rise in life expectancy.

I have yet to see any credible information to show that vaccines are a net negative to individuals and society in general.

Originally Posted By: lugNutz
Hmmm... According to some of the posters here, I am definitely an IDIOT for not yet having my 2.5 year old daughter vaccinated. KMA.

Here's the deal, there are 2 different high-level types of non-vaccination groups. Group one: the one's who refuse due in large part to the whole conspiracy that vaccinations are linked to Autism. What a joke. Take Jay Cutler and his idiotic wife as an openly public example. Group two: The group that is putting them on hold, delaying the injections, because of multiple reports that have not disproved the theory that vaccinations are linked to slower mental development of the case child.

Some people including one in this thread, are so thick-minded and self-involved that everyone who doesn't vaccinate their kids, are society's problems. Guess what, everything unnatural to the human body has side-effects, regardless of what YOU may think, and there is no reason to inflict that on an infant or small child.

I personally fall into group two. My daughter has not had a single shot since birth, and I have had to verbally fight with doctors for this. She has been sick a total of 3 times since birth. All 3 were common colds. she is developing well ahead of ANY of our (my wife and I)friend's kids, including the ones a year or two older than her. BUT, I will be getting her vaccinations prior to her attending public/private school as this is where most of these diseases are contracted and spread.

Here's something else for people to consider. Diseases mutate over time, that has been proven. The vaccinations from 5, 10, 15 years ago could be rendered useless today, but most people think they are invincible due to their vaccinations from yester-year, and THEY could be the cause of the problem. Just food for thought.

Vaccinations are a never ending battle, just like the flu shot - which I choose not to receive. And wait for it, big shocker... I haven't gotten the flu in 5+ years.

Let the flaming begin!

LugNutz, It's good to see that you plan on eventually getting all vaccinations for your kids. It's also good to see that you are so concerned about your kids health that you don't blindly accept the doctor's office recommendations for immunization.

Doctor's and their staff are often busy and trying to get their job done as quickly as possible. This isn't always the best for our kids.

Back in the 90's I had to have a long talk with my family doctor when he wanted to give my daughter the Oral Polio vaccine and I insisted he give the shot(IPV). He quoted the AMA recommendation for OPV and stated the chances of contracting polio from the live virus OPV vaccine were extremely small. Why make my baby go through the discomfort of a shot? I thought this was ludicrous. Why take even a small chance when there was 0% chance with the dead virus IPV via a shot. He relented. Guess what, a few years later the government changed their recommendation back to "IPV only" in the US.

Same thing with giving multiple vaccinations at the same time. Some agency might say it is "ok". Why risk an adverse reaction to all those things being injected at once. Spread them out.

Good for you, keep doing your own research, you're doing a great job looking out for your child's best interests.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
But if your kids are vaccinated, then how does what someone else do with respect to this issue impact you? You and your kids benefit from the vaccine. Those who choose not to vaccinate roll the dice.

The problem is when they expect others to bail them out and someone in charge says you have to bail them out.

What if we just let them live with the consequences of their choices?

My question is who are the idiots, those who don't vaccinate, or those who bail them out after they've made a bad choice?

From my perspective, it's not those who not choose to vaccinate who are the biggest idiots, but those who ensure they remain the gene pool because they are insulated from the consequences of their choices.

You're making pretty broad statements there. I cannot take many vaccines. I cannot take tetanus, diphtheria or pertussis. I also cannot take the MMR one. I can take Flu, but that's about it. If I could take them, I would. I'm in a situation where others have to have herd immunity to keep me from getting sick. Luckily, I've never gotten those illnesses that can be prevented by vaccine.

When I was a child in the 50's life was different. When one kid in the neighborhood came down with a childhood disease like measles, all the other kids that have not had measles were brought over for a "measles party". It was a way to vaccinate everyone early in life. Today, life is too politically correct for such practical solutions even if we knew who our neighbors were in this modern improved age we live in, but at least we have vaccinations now.

Also, there were still kids dying of polio in the 50's, 3 in my school early that year. 5 more kids in crutches, braces or wheel chairs. A 4th kid died before the year was out. Public swimming pools were closed as were several parks.

From what I can see, vaccinations are life savers. Young people have no idea what life was like with polio. The resistance to vaccinations appears to be a very vocal minority and if what they claim was true we'd see the consequences of their dooms day predictions, everywhere. There is a risk with vaccinations however small, but life without them would be difficult to imagine. I guess we'll always be stuck with people that know they are smarter than everyone else and are willing to enlighten us with their brilliance and are incapable of engaging in a give and take conversation where people exchange ideas and experiences.

Correlation does not equal causation.

LifeExpectancy.jpg

A lot of people not wanting to get vaccinations believe the likelihood of contracting a particular illness is low, which, coincidentally, is a direct result of others getting vaccinations.

50-100 million died from flu in the 19 teens; I suspect if an ebola vaccination was available and the disease spread to the US, more than a few would be singing a different tune.

IMHO the revolving door between FDA and drug companies and the influence of $$ on the approval process has undermined the entire faith in vaccines.

An entire generation of people (1960s on) sailed thru childhood virtually disease free, and many have apparently forgetten that.

Last edited:
So what you are saying is that you want others to be forced to act in the way you think they should act so you are safer? That their freedom, as insane as it may seem to us is less valuable than your freedom?

Look, I'm not saying folks should prevent their children from getting a vaccination. I simply question the practice of forcing others to conform in this fashion to provide safety for others.

If they want to, great. But if they don't, they shouldn't be looked on as being any less valuable than you or anyone else. By forcing views on another in the name of safety erodes the freedoms this nation was founded upon.

I think that is far more dangerous than any disease vector that may go through our nation.

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
Originally Posted By: javacontour
But if your kids are vaccinated, then how does what someone else do with respect to this issue impact you? You and your kids benefit from the vaccine. Those who choose not to vaccinate roll the dice.

The problem is when they expect others to bail them out and someone in charge says you have to bail them out.

What if we just let them live with the consequences of their choices?

My question is who are the idiots, those who don't vaccinate, or those who bail them out after they've made a bad choice?

From my perspective, it's not those who not choose to vaccinate who are the biggest idiots, but those who ensure they remain the gene pool because they are insulated from the consequences of their choices.

You're making pretty broad statements there. I cannot take many vaccines. I cannot take tetanus, diphtheria or pertussis. I also cannot take the MMR one. I can take Flu, but that's about it. If I could take them, I would. I'm in a situation where others have to have herd immunity to keep me from getting sick. Luckily, I've never gotten those illnesses that can be prevented by vaccine.

Interestingly, I now work in a hospital. Do you know what I had to do, in order to be hired? I had to have a 2 part TB test, I have also gotten this years influenza vaccine, I am redoing my Hepatitis B vaccine, the combo tetanus/whooping cough vaccine, and several others, to make sure I'm up to date. And it's not just for my safety, it's for the safety of other people I work with, as well as the patients in the hospital, even if I don't work with them directly.

This is also true for pretty much anyone that works in health care. And for good reason.

To be clear, I don't mind people who want to spread them out or delay them a bit. That's fine, it even makes a degree of sense to me. I'm mainly annoyed at the full-out anti vaccine/vaccines cause autism people, which has again been disproven quite a few times by actual science, not pseudo science.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back