So, Fram filters...why the bad rap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HangFire
Originally Posted By: steveh
When are people going to realize Motormouth is a salesman feeding you biased information. It would be like asking a Ford,Chevy and a Dodge salesman who makes the best trucks. He only comes here to mooch off the free Fram advertising.

Motorking (Jay) is standing up for his company and not calling people names (unlike you, steveh). I may not agree with everything he says but personally I would like a factory rep from every manufacturer here, and not try to chase them off and accuse them of just trying to get free advertising.

Is he biased? I would be disappointed if he wasn't. Does that mean he's not factual? I don't think so. He's brought more facts to the table, and that's always a good thing.

Well said.

I used to be on the anti-Fram side of this too but I no longer fear the fiber.

I am more concerned with the amount of media or more specifically the number of pleats. Used TG elements typically look better than EG elements, ACDelco E-core elements typically look better than the cheapest E-core elements and so on. The cheapest filter elements tend to have less pleats and this seems to allow more room for pleats to move and tear, be it at the end cap or against the center tube(or cage). This is why I will use a TG but would prefer not to use an EG or any other makers bottom end filter.

As for the center tube discussion earlier in the thread, I have to agree that a gap there could permit bypass. The question is does the pressure of the spring create a seal against the end cap. As Z06 points out you can usually see an imprint in the end cap around the tube, if this is enough of a seal then the oil should not get to that gap between the center tube and end cap. Personally I don't feel that the metal on metal of the Wix element to removable bypass (or spacer on non-bypass models) is a perfect seal either. This however does not seem to bother most....maybe it would if it was done by Fram.

Originally Posted By: cp3
I am more concerned with the amount of media or more specifically the number of pleats. Used TG elements typically look better than EG elements, ACDelco E-core elements typically look better than the cheapest E-core elements and so on. The cheapest filter elements tend to have less pleats and this seems to allow more room for pleats to move and tear, be it at the end cap or against the center tube(or cage). This is why I will use a TG but would prefer not to use an EG or any other makers bottom end filter.

The reason the EG probably has less pleats/media area than the TG is because it's the lower tier filter, and being so also has a shorter OCI rating (5K for EG vs 10K for TG). EG media is also different that TG media. I think Frams logic is that they specifically want to make the 3 levels of filters for a broader line up for customers to choose from. The materials and construction reflect that goal.

Originally Posted By: cp3
As for the center tube discussion earlier in the thread, I have to agree that a gap there could permit bypass. The question is does the pressure of the spring create a seal against the end cap. As Z06 points out you can usually see an imprint in the end cap around the tube, if this is enough of a seal then the oil should not get to that gap between the center tube and end cap. Personally I don't feel that the metal on metal of the Wix element to removable bypass (or spacer on non-bypass models) is a perfect seal either. This however does not seem to bother most....maybe it would if it was done by Fram.

Good points.

When are people going to realize Motormouth is a salesman feeding you biased information. It would be like asking a Ford,Chevy and a Dodge salesman who makes the best trucks. He only comes here to mooch off the free Fram advertising.
I wasn't going to say this because I get enough grief from the FRAM/50,000-mi OCI police anyway but thanks. SOMEONE else is a skeptic.

Last edited:
Biggest reason I quit using Fram, I watched two of them explode, can split and puked oil. Not sure if I got a few that slipped through QC but it was enough for me. This is on a 79 Jeep AMC 304, not know to be an engine that makes a ton of oil pressure. Switched to whatever Auto Value house brand (IIRC rebranded lower end of the WIX line) is and never looked back. In the past I used Purolator which I had great luck with and they were dirt cheap considering I change the oil based on season/run time and not mileage I almost never get more than 1000mi OCI.

Those Orange cans were the only ones that failed to actually keep oil in the rig, for $3.99 I decided to pick something else. Their high end filters are pretty good but those orange ones have killed the brand for me.

Originally Posted By: ironman_gq
Biggest reason I quit using Fram, I watched two of them explode, can split and puked oil. Not sure if I got a few that slipped through QC but it was enough for me. This is on a 79 Jeep AMC 304, not know to be an engine that makes a ton of oil pressure. Switched to whatever Auto Value house brand (IIRC rebranded lower end of the WIX line) is and never looked back. In the past I used Purolator which I had great luck with and they were dirt cheap considering I change the oil based on season/run time and not mileage I almost never get more than 1000mi OCI.

Those Orange cans were the only ones that failed to actually keep oil in the rig, for $3.99 I decided to pick something else. Their high end filters are pretty good but those orange ones have killed the brand for me.

Uh oh!
28.gif
27.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
The reason the EG probably has less pleats/media area than the TG is because it's the lower tier filter, and being so also has a shorter OCI rating (5K for EG vs 10K for TG). EG media is also different that TG media. I think Frams logic is that they specifically want to make the 3 levels of filters for a broader line up for customers to choose from. The materials and construction reflect that goal.

I completely understand the why, I just don't like it. Not from Fram, Champ, Wix, Baldwin/Hastings, doesn't matter who. It's not a shot at Fram at all, they all do it and if you look through this forum long enough (not that you need to Z) you'll see examples from many manufacturers. One that sticks in my head is a Hastings bottom tier that was posted a few years back. Looked terrible to me (pleat spacing and amount of media), nothing like the Baldwins that I have used. Same deal for me, I wouldn't use the Hastings but I will spin on a Baldwin with out a second thought.

You FRAMites keep piling on here at the end but it will never be a save.

Great pics and compelling discussion in the first 2/3 of this thread.

Anyone looking for proof found it there.

I gather you folks weren't looking.

Skeptic is not the correct word.

Originally Posted By: telecat
I wasn't going to say this because I get enough grief from the FRAM/50,000-mi OCI police anyway but thanks. SOMEONE else is a skeptic.

Blasphemy! That is impossible! How dare you insinuate that such a thing could have ever resulted from an orange can of death. Obviously this is just subjective information and therefore cannot be trusted or verified as fact!

Or it is true and you are going to make some people very unhappy
grin.gif

Let me guess-the Auto Value ones had a bypass in the filter, and the Frams didn't, right? Classic sticking bypass symptom.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3623843/Fram_Orange_Can_O%27_Delight_PH3#Post3623843

I am using another one right now with Mobil 1 TDT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back