MUST be LEVEL for ATF Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
My factory instructions are abundantly clear that the non-dipstick 2013 Camry U760 must be within 1 degree of level for a proper atf change and fill leveling process.

Well...,
A. Is there any part of a car that is the standardly accepted spot for checking level? The pinch weld "rail"?
B. Do many cars have a sensor for this now as part of traction control, this tilt/grade/incline value could actually be found via software such as Techstream for toyota?

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
My factory instructions are abundantly clear that the non-dipstick 2013 Camry U760 must be within 1 degree of level for a proper atf change and fill leveling process.

Well...,
A. Is there any part of a car that is the standardly accepted spot for checking level? The pinch weld "rail"?
B. Do many cars have a sensor for this now as part of traction control, this tilt/grade/incline value could actually be found via software such as Techstream for toyota?

I would use the rails.

I have to wonder if 1 degree is that critical.

I'm trying to think of someplace that is good and level. Parking lots are hit or miss. But I guess you could put down a level in a parking spot and measure. If it's level, then park the car there. Then find some place in the car reasonably flat, and put the level there. It may not read level, due to slopes inside the car--but now you should know what the level would read when the car is level.

I'd think the floorpan footwells would be pretty flat, and would read level on a level when the car is parked on a level spot.

ONE degree? That seems absurd.

I did the cooling line flush procedure on my 2008 Tacoma on my garage floor. It's not perfectly level. Everything worked out.

If it's like the process for my Tundra I suspect you'll have the car lifted up somehow. When the trans is at the proper temp, you pull the check plug and look to make sure oil just dribbles out. Otherwise you add more. I left the fill tube connected (hose snaked up to the hood) and dumped oil in until I got that dribble coming out, then put the plug in. While running. Wasn't sure if the pan level would go up once I shut it off.

Obviously, checking oil levels while up on a pair of ramps or jack stands is not ideal to get the correct reading.

I've never had a problem with dipstick reading with all 4 tires onthe ground. Of course, non-dipstick autos are going to be different.

Originally Posted By: bama7x57
Most man made hard surfaces are not level, due to drainage requirements.

Many are not, but there is a concrete pad somewhere that is. Just get out the carpenter's level.

Jack up the front of the car, put it on stands.

As you are jacking up the rear, hold a carpenter's level to the bottom of the car along the pinch weld on the rocker panel.

When the bubble is centered, you're going to be very accurate.

Leave the jack there and put 2 jack stands raised all the way up and don't lower the car on them, only have them there to catch the car if it falls.

If you lower onto the stands the level will be off.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Really crummy of toyota really. I guess "close" will have to do.

It's crummy because they have a requirement that the fluid level is set correctly? Um...OK...

Instead of checking the car, you can just put a level on the ground to check and see if it's flat. What I'd suggest though is draining the fluid hot, letting it cool to room temperature, and then measure it--and put back what you've drained. The, double-check the level on reasonably flat ground.

I wouldn't blame the manufacturer for requiring a specific amount of fluid in the transmission. Lots of modern autos require this--and least you're able to change the fluid!

Originally Posted By: supton
I'd think the floorpan footwells would be pretty flat, and would read level on a level when the car is parked on a level spot.

Not necessarily, and this is what the OP is asking: Level of the tires sitting on a level plane (lift) or level of the frame/floor/pinch welds sitting on a lift??? Level also applies from front to back AND side to side.

As this picture shows, the "floor" bottom is not always level in relation to the tires being level:
ford-escape_key_15.jpg

Continuing on with this academic discussion, IF my math is correct, a one degree slope over a 4 foot long level equals 0.837843116 inches
grin.gif
.....not that hard to obtain.

Anyone (except Kestas) recognize the picture location?

Originally Posted By: Falken
Jack up the front of the car, put it on stands.

As you are jacking up the rear, hold a carpenter's level to the bottom of the car along the pinch weld on the rocker panel.

When the bubble is centered, you're going to be very accurate.

Leave the jack there and put 2 jack stands raised all the way up and don't lower the car on them, only have them there to catch the car if it falls.

If you lower onto the stands the level will be off.

While I agree that your method would elevate and level the car, it doesn't sound safe. You can't control how the car might come off the jack, so you can't necessarily depend on the jackstands to catch it. I'd only get under a car supported by ramps or jackstands. I'd never get under one elevated by a jack, even if there was something else to catch it.

I agree with an earlier comment that the level requirement in this procedure may make you want to think about taking it in.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Originally Posted By: supton

Not necessarily, and this is what the OP is asking: Level of the tires sitting on a level plane (lift) or level of the frame/floor/pinch welds sitting on a lift??? Level also applies from front to back AND side to side.

As this picture shows, the "floor" bottom is not always level in relation to the tires being level:
ford-escape_key_15.jpg

Continuing on with this academic discussion, IF my math is correct, a one degree slope over a 4 foot long level equals 0.837843116 inches
grin.gif
.....not that hard to obtain.

Anyone (except Kestas) recognize the picture location?
The picture is in Detroit, in front of the old abandoned Union Station (high rise train station). To the OP-why not just measure what you remove & put the same amount in? Wouldn't that be easier?

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
To the OP-why not just measure what you remove & put the same amount in? Wouldn't that be easier?

x2. This is what I've always done... assuming the level is dead accurate from the factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back